Good morning! This is going to be a daily(ish) post that discusses the goings on of the rest of the Big Ten Conference, and the country as needed. Much like the European Union, the Big Ten is a loosely confederated group of entities that sometimes have the same goals (like free movement of people between countries or not winning national titles in football or basketball) and sometimes accept new members that they later regret (Estonia or Rutgers).
We hope that you will use this post to comment on things happening around the conference and also as a sort of daily open thread to discuss breaking news or argue about Spotted Cow.
- We discussed some of the new men’s basketball recruits that were nominated to play in the McDonald’s All-America game already, but the women’s team will also have a representative there. After starting the season 8-3, the Badgers have struggled in conference play, going 1-5 so far, and could desperately use a talent infusion which Douglass will hopefully bring to Madison.
Congrats to future Badger Halle Douglass on being nominated for the McDonald’s All-American Games!!!#OnWisconsin @McDAAG pic.twitter.com/ReRyjupnge— Wisconsin Basketball (@BadgerWBB) January 16, 2020
- Ryan Ramczyk and T.J. Watt were graded as the best players at their position by Pro Football Focus this year. That’s amazing.
- Speaking of PFF rankings! Jack Coan had a pretty good season all things considered...right?
B1G in the Starting QB Rankings:— Cam Mellor (@PFF_Cam) January 15, 2020
3. Fields, OSU
7. Morgan, Minnesota
12. Ramsey/Penix - Indiana
24. Stanley, Iowa
40. Coan, Wisconsin
42. Patterson, Michigan
55. Clifford, PSU
83. Peters/Robinson, Illinois
92. Sindelar/OConnell/Plummer, Purdue
All 130: https://t.co/m10ZDJ2J2E
- More Badgers moving on to the pros!
.@chiredstarsPR makes a second straight selection and drafts Camryn Biegalski with the 16th pick.#NWSLDraft pic.twitter.com/LbP7gqtgHC— NWSL (@NWSL) January 16, 2020
Biegalski was the linchpin of a stout Wisconsin defense this past season and will no doubt be a key piece in Chicago’s future plans.
With the No. 16 pick in the #NWSLDraft, @chiredstarsPR select Camryn Biegalski from @BadgerWSoccer. pic.twitter.com/C2ZdnYUxCF— TopDrawerSoccer (@TopDrawerSoccer) January 16, 2020
Badgers forward Dani Rhodes was not drafted but we will keep you posted if she catches on somewhere.
- Matt Hinton is doing the Lord’s work by combining all of the “way too early” top-25 polls into one handy graphic.
...and here's your knee-jerk consensus of 15 "way too early" rankings for 2020. It's a clean sweep at the top and as long as Trevor Lawrence doesn't renounce the sport in search of enlightenment it's going to stay that way. pic.twitter.com/1vbU2O7Usj— Matt Hinton (@MattRHinton) January 16, 2020
The Badgers are nestled in nicely at No. 12 a mere two spots below non-conference opponent Notre Dame.
- If you didn’t get a chance to read this post by Jonathan Taylor on The Player’s Tribune take a few minutes to do so. He very clearly will miss his time in Madison but it is time for him to move on to bigger and better things.
For everybody in Madison, @JayT23 wrote this for you.https://t.co/dFJt2FbJ5C— The Players' Tribune (@PlayersTribune) January 17, 2020
- Go USA, beat Canada.
Congrats to the five #Badgers that will represent next month! https://t.co/Xm7XpcT1VY— Wisconsin Hockey (@BadgerWHockey) January 17, 2020
- Speaking of national teams, Rose Lavelle is going to try and help the Americans bring home gold in the Olympics this summer.
Congrats to @roselavelle! #OnWisconsin https://t.co/pg66QVSabK— Wisconsin Soccer (@BadgerWSoccer) January 17, 2020
- Were...were the Badgers under utilizing Vitto Brown?
Vitto Brown (@SenseiSwat33) has been a man on a mission to start 2020— Erie BayHawks (@ErieBayHawks) January 17, 2020
In the month of January, the former @BadgerMBB is the player in the @nbagleague averaging at least 23.0 PTS and 1.5 BLKS (min. 5 GP) #BeHere pic.twitter.com/aFZGIVzsa3
- As if you didn’t know this already.
The Big Ten was loaded with dominant pass-rush duos this season, paced by Wisconsin's @zackbizzaun and @Chris_Guwap— CFB Film Room (@CFBFilmRoom) January 17, 2020
Stats via ➡ @SportsInfo_SIS pic.twitter.com/OwifSXAMYQ
- Aron Cruickshank is taking an official visit to Rutgers this weekend. There is a lot of chatter that he’ll end up there to use his remaining eligibility.
#MyGuy @Ac_Hollywood_ gonna be on “The Banks” this weekend. #CHOP⚔️— K.J. Stroud (@KJSTROUD10) January 17, 2020
- Cawlidge Hawkey.
Madison is the coolest. Breakfast hat show and tell with Natty Champions @Soupy_35 and @BlesiBreanna. BIG one against the Gophers next weekend. #Tenderronis #CawlidgeHawkey pic.twitter.com/2sxJwHsh6i— Bucci Mane (@Buccigross) January 17, 2020
- Daryl Watts remains good at hockey.
Help us give a stick tap to #Badgers Daryl Watts, who netted her th career assist last week in Bemidji! pic.twitter.com/mLAmaIqAUI— Wisconsin Hockey (@BadgerWHockey) January 17, 2020
B1G basketball scoreboard from the past few nights (losses in bold because we are here to laugh at misfortune):
No. 19 Michigan 83 - Iowa 90