Good morning! This is going to be a daily(ish) post that discusses the goings on of the rest of the Big Ten Conference, and the country as needed. Much like the European Union, the Big Ten is a loosely confederated group of entities that sometimes have the same goals (like free movement of people between countries or not winning national titles in football or basketball) and sometimes accept new members that they later regret (Estonia or Rutgers).
We hope that you will use this post to comment on things happening around the conference and also as a sort of daily open thread to discuss breaking news or argue about Spotted Cow.
- ::cues up Fleetwood Mac:: YOU CAN GO YOUR OWN WAY!
I caught up with the newest #Badgers commit, Brayden Morrison, who chose UW over Minnesota Duluth and Michigan, where his father starred.— Todd Milewski (@ToddMilewski) January 13, 2020
"I wanted to write my own path and go on my own way," he said.https://t.co/dTrCNsInBn
- They might not be having the best season as a team on the ice, but many of the current Badgers are highly regarded by the NHL.
Freshman Dylan Holloway leads seven #Badgers players or commits in NHL Central Scouting's midterm rankings for the 2020 draft.https://t.co/74Q2nIUln7— Todd Milewski (@ToddMilewski) January 13, 2020
- Hey, this is cool! Go UW Dance Team!
UW-Madison dance team headed to nationals in Florida https://t.co/mWmHcqSPNj #news3now— News 3 Now / Channel 3000 (@WISCTV_News3) January 13, 2020
- La Crosse on La Crosse violence!
I asked Kobe King what would happen when @JonathanCDavis1 tries to dunk on him in practice next year.— Evan Flood (@Evan_Flood) January 13, 2020
"I grab it with two hands and go dunk on the other end." #Badgers
- So, uh, apparently the Badgers have a new punter coming on board? His Twitter bio says he’s in the class of 2022, but as far as I can tell that’s when he’s planning on graduating. It sounds like he’ll be a walk-on and have two years of eligibility remaining.
Super excited to announce that I am continuing my education and football career as a Badger at the University of Wisconsin-Madison!#onwisconsin #gobadgers #uwmadison #uwfootball #puntfactory @ThePuntFactory pic.twitter.com/t7OznTcNyA— Andy Vujnovich (@AndyVuj24) January 13, 2020
He punted for the University of Dubuque for the past two seasons and our very own Owen Riese has this scouting report on him, sent in four separate Slack messages: “he’s very good; coached against him Week 1; 62 yard punt against us (Whitewater); best punter we saw.”
He averaged 36.7 yards per punt on 49 attempts last year while also handling place kicking duties. He had four punts blocked last year and also had -15 rushing yards. He is originally from Columbus, Wis.
- I too have been described as having a “thick lower half” and a “stout base.”
I don't know who DT Keeanu Benton is for the Wisconsin Badgers - but I am a fan!— Ben Fennell (@BenFennell_NFL) January 14, 2020
This #95 keeps showing up late in games.. Thick lower half. Stout base. Good hand usage.
Wrestling background - Division 1 runner-up at 285 pounds as a junior with a 48-2 record
...Made the list!
- Tristan Moran had a big week on the mat last week.
Tristan Moran of @BadgerWrestling earns #B1G Wrestler of the Week honors after earning a pair of ranked victories, including a win over a top-3 opponent, in Wisconsin’s duals against Minnesota and Nebraska. #B1GWrestle— Big Ten Wrestling (@B1GWrestling) January 14, 2020
FOR MORE: https://t.co/trTGctcW4t pic.twitter.com/3rBRzSN4Bl
- Hopefully the Badgers can build on the recruiting trail thanks to their run to the Finals this year.
This incoming freshie is kind of good— Wisconsin Volleyball (@BadgerVB) January 14, 2020
Congratulations Jade Demps on being the Gatorade North Carolina Volleyball Player of the Year
x https://t.co/GhOaoV0TJU pic.twitter.com/NJo6lU1uOD
- I hope Cole Caufield is taking French at Wisconsin.
Asked whether he's considering two years in college like Cale Makar and Quinn Hughes, #Badgers freshman Cole Caufield tells @LesPartants he hasn't ruled anything out. "There's no point in rushing it, but I think I want to prepare myself and have that mindset to play next year." https://t.co/qr9H5mMX3G— Todd Milewski (@ToddMilewski) January 14, 2020
- Pretty sick mitts on this kid.
Wisconsin recruit Mathieu De St. Phalle tallies short-handed with the pretty backhand in Chicago's 4-3 win on Saturday night.— Stars n’ Stripes Hockey (@StarsStripesHKY) January 15, 2020
That was the 1st of two goals scored by De St. Phalle that night and he now has recorded 18 's and 19 's in 30 games this season. #Badgers #WeAreSteel pic.twitter.com/haArCChEvP
- ANALYTICS BE DAMNED! THE BADGERS ARE BRINGING MIDRANGE BACK!
Kobe King of the B10 Midrange pic.twitter.com/P0FzWN1v4e— Bart T rvik (@totally_t_bomb) January 15, 2020
- This is a great photo from Tuesday night.
Jerrell Moore's reaction to @BadgerMBB win over Maryland. Photo courtesy of @UWBBboosters. Give them a follow to keep up on a wide variety of events that help support the team. pic.twitter.com/2IONZeflr7— EricTheRed (@RealEricTheRed) January 15, 2020
- A bunch of new football Badgers taking in the big basketball win over Maryland.
Some new #Badgers were in the house last night. @chimdk11 pic.twitter.com/9w6sSVtZop— Evan Flood (@Evan_Flood) January 15, 2020
- I know this was a point of consternation amongst many so let’s hear from the man himself.
We just got done talking to #Badgers junior forward Micah Potter. He said he encouraged the coaching staff to stick with the lineup that was on the court down the stretch because it was getting stops.— Jim Polzin (@JimPolzinWSJ) January 15, 2020
- Hmmmmm. Good point.
Need to point something out regarding Potter's defense before I head to the Kohl Center: He has played seven games for the #Badgers. I've covered UW bigs who needed multiple seasons to get comfortable/adept at defending the sort of stuff Maryland/others run.— Jeff Potrykus (@jaypo1961) January 15, 2020
- Why don’t they build the whole team out of Badgers?
Congrats to our SEVEN #Badgers that were selected to the @NHL Elite Women’s 3-on-3 game! https://t.co/yvvkjI0a90— Wisconsin Hockey (@BadgerWHockey) January 16, 2020
- QB TJ Green is coming back for a sixth season of Northwestern football. Why? Well, some people are into that sort of thing.
- RB Toren Young and OT Tristan Wirfs are leaving Iowa early for the NFL Draft.
- I didn’t understand much of this post, but here is Black Shoe Diaries’ B1G wrestling rankings.
- Hey alright! LGHL thinks Ohio State is going to beat Wisconsin in the B1G Title game again. At least Wisconsin is winning the division again?
- Former Rutgers defensive coordinator and fired Minnesota defensive coordinator Robb Smith is, uh, the Rutgers defensive coordinator again!
- Three takeaways from the Maryland side of things after their loss to Wisconsin.
- MSU forward Xavier Tillman is starting to put it all together.
B1G basketball scoreboard from the past few nights (losses in bold because we are here to laugh at misfortune):
Nebraska 68 - No. 21 Ohio State 80
Iowa 75 - Northwestern 62
Indiana 50 - Rutgers 59
Penn State 69 - Minnesota 75