Good morning! This is going to be a daily(ish) post that discusses the goings on of the rest of the Big Ten Conference, and the country as needed. Much like the European Union, the Big Ten is a loosely confederated group of entities that sometimes have the same goals (like free movement of people between countries or not winning national titles in football or basketball) and sometimes accept new members that they later regret (Estonia or Rutgers).
We hope that you will use this post to comment on things happening around the conference and also as a sort of daily open thread to discuss breaking news or argue about Spotted Cow.
- Good thread from our friend Phil Mitten and good newsletter from Dylan Burkhardt, that you should subscribe to if you are interested in the inner workings of B1G hoops.
EXCELLENT compilation/comparison of #B1G big men stats today in @dylanburkhardt newsletter. I zeroed in on Nate Reuvers of course and got to thinking... https://t.co/amcASMVtwc— Phil Mitten (@hoopsmarinara) January 10, 2020
- Former Badger Jay Valai is going to help Texas be back next year!
Source: #Texas is expected to hire Jay Valai as cornerbacks coach. Valai held the same spot under new Texas DC Chris Ash at Rutgers. He also coached with the KC Chiefs and Georgia. Valai grew up near Dallas and brings a strong reputation in recruiting and player development.— Adam Rittenberg (@ESPNRittenberg) January 10, 2020
- Wrestling head coach Chris Bono could help offset the losses of Chris Orr and Zack Baun with defense like this.
We’ve got @ChrisBono as Defensive Player of the Year https://t.co/yHsdLzmF2H— Wisconsin Wrestling (@BadgerWrestling) January 10, 2020
- The Badgers had a busy weekend on the mat, losing a tough one in Minneapolis to the Gophers but returning home on Sunday and beating Nebraska.
Final team score in the border battle:— Wisconsin Wrestling (@BadgerWrestling) January 11, 2020
WIS - 14
MIN - 20
WHAT A DAY!!!!!!! pic.twitter.com/1VaGYSuREW— Wisconsin Wrestling (@BadgerWrestling) January 12, 2020
- Track and field still looking like one of the best programs in the nation heading into 2020.
The #Badgers are off to a great start for the 2020 season! @leashamonson has the top returning time in the 3K and @ollie_hoare97 has the top time in the mile! pic.twitter.com/ipeUTkbHkE— Wisconsin Track & Field (@BadgerTrackXC) January 10, 2020
- The Badgers are ranked No. 14 in The Sporting News way too early top-25 for 2020. Non-conference foe Notre Dame is ranked No. 8, Minnesota is ranked No. 12 and Michigan is ranked No. 15.
The 2019 college football season isn't over yet, but we're looking ahead to 2020.@BillBender92's way too early Top 25: https://t.co/WqEbRGUQQG pic.twitter.com/ApJ5sSJXvT— Sporting News (@sportingnews) January 10, 2020
- If you are looking for an XFL team to cheer for, here are your Badgers connections.
The XFL starts in a month, I checked every team's roster and 3 former #Badgers are listed:— Dave Heller (@dave_heller) January 10, 2020
Darius Hillary & Garret Dooley are on St. Louis.
Tanner McEvoy is on Tampa Bay.
- The Wisconsin softball team is looking to build on last season’s success and make an even deeper run in the NCAA Tournament.
3 pages and 2 powerpoints later, our first day of two a days is planned and set! #BadgerSoftball #Teachingskillandwill pic.twitter.com/B6KLwVl83a— Kirsten Verdun (@Coach_Veee) January 11, 2020
- There was a scary moment during the Wisconsin/Ohio State hockey game on Saturday night after Buckeyes defenseman CJ Regula was hit into the boards by Wisconsin’s Dylan Weissbach. Weissbach was given a game misconduct and suspended for the Saturday game and Ohio State tweeted out on Saturday that Regula was being released from the hospital. Hopefully he has a speedy recovery.
Both teams and the officials came over to wish CJ Regula well as he was taken from the ice on a stretcher. pic.twitter.com/GBlZd5JlIS— Todd Milewski (@ToddMilewski) January 11, 2020
- Vitto Brown is turning into a G-League stud!
Vitto Brown is CLUTCH #BeHere@SenseiSwat33 is on one tonight, scoring a season-high 31 points! pic.twitter.com/VltQ2Fsglk— Erie BayHawks (@ErieBayHawks) January 11, 2020
- Hopefully Sean McVay had the right guy, because a Jim Leonard doesn’t coach for the Badgers.
One leftover from the Rams DC search: coach Sean McVay had great interest in Wisconsin defensive coordinator Jim Leonard. Ultimately, Brandon Staley and the Fangio D was the right fit for his staff.— Albert Breer (@AlbertBreer) January 11, 2020
But Leonard, the ex-Jets/Ravens safety, is 100% a name to watch going forward.
- Wisconsin’s defense has opposing coaches like:
January 11, 2020
- There were actually some offensive highlights in the game even though it started off like that.
On, WWWWWWWWisconsin!— Wisconsin Basketball (@BadgerMBB) January 12, 2020
Wisconsin has now won eight straight games at Penn State, the longest Big Ten road win streak in school history
Top Plays from today’s road win#OnWisconsin » #Badgers pic.twitter.com/XLzCJCm1nY
- Despite their struggles as a team, Imani Lewis is having a monster season for the Badgers.
Imani Lewis is the first Badger since 1988 to have five consecutive double-doubles...— Wisconsin Basketball (@BadgerWBB) January 12, 2020
... girl’s got buckets (and rebounds) #OnWisconsin pic.twitter.com/D1g9g4PpiB
- Stevens Point’s own, Joe Pavelski!
Incredible reception for Joe Pavelski’s return to San Jose. https://t.co/sn13qYLCY9— Wisconsin Hockey (@BadgerMHockey) January 12, 2020
- You know Melvin Gordon is from Wisconsin because he tweets stuff like this while watching the NFL Playoffs.
Y’all seen my man with the beer cans tho— F L ⚡️ S H (@Melvingordon25) January 12, 2020
January 12, 2020
- Go Packers, go future Bucks???
.@AntDavis23 puts on the championship belt in the 1️⃣2️⃣ jersey. pic.twitter.com/xTMI1fDnJz— Scott Grodsky (@ScottGrodsky) January 12, 2020
- Here is the reaction from the other side after the Badgers went into State College and pulled off the upset of the Nittany Lions.
- Here is a recap of Wisconsin beating Nebraska in wrestling from Corn Nation.
- Offensive lineman TJ Storment had just committed to Purdue as a grad transfer from Colorado State and then two days later...flipped to TCU.
- The Green Bay Packers have the Northwestern Wildcats to thank for all of their success? Yikes.
- Ohio State has lost four games in a row. Really making our quality road win look crappy. Thanks for nothing, Buckeyes.
- Michigan State’s top WR Cody White is declaring for the NFL Draft.
- Illinois’ top DL Oluwole Betiku Jr. is declaring for the NFL Draft too.
- How did Wisconsin’s next opponent, Maryland, get blown out by Iowa?
- How will Shea Patterson be remembered in Ann Arbor?
B1G basketball scoreboard from over the weekend (losses in bold because we are here to laugh at misfortune):
No. 12 Maryland 49 - Iowa 67
No. 11 Ohio State 54 - Indiana 66
Rutgers 51 - Illinois 54
Nebraska 57 - Northwestern 62
No. 8 Michigan State 42 - Purdue 71
No. 19 Michigan 67 - Minnesota 75
Wisconsin 58 - No. 20 Penn State 49