Recruiting is the lifeblood of any major college athletics team, but following it closely as a fan can sometimes be difficult and can often be time consuming. We’ll try and condense all the recruiting news you can use into this bi-weekly post. It’ll include updates on current commits, including stats from their high school games, as well as news on players the Badgers are still pursuing. Let’s get down to business!
Basketball commit highlights
- 3-star 2020 PG Lorne Bowman (Detroit, Mich.) scored 26 points and added six assists in Orchard Lake St. Mary’s win over Ann Arbor Pioneer last week.
2020 Lorne Bowman (Orchard Lake St Mary’s) was at it again tonight vs AA Pioneer.— Endless Motor Sports (@endless_motor) January 9, 2020
Three level scoring from multiple spots on the court and full command of his offensive game. Never allowed the defense to make him uncomfortable.@TheRealLorneB pic.twitter.com/bI4aWWzMh8
Here are the full highlights of the game that also feature key 2021 target 4-star SG Julian Roper. Bowman is No. 11 an Roper is No. 1 if you aren’t up on your St. Mary’s roster this season.
I wish someone would make a cool edit of me so I looked like a Mortal Combat character. Bloggers get no respect!
Edit of the Mr. Basketball Front Runner and @BadgerMBB Commit, @TheRealLorneB pic.twitter.com/OlzseF8k3s— Kavon “Highlight” Higdon (@highlight_higgy) January 11, 2020
- 2021 4-star PF Matthew Mors (Yankton, S.D.) has got some serious jump to his game. This dude just loves to throw it down even in traffic. I love that his future point guard is jazzed up to play with him already in Madison.
can’t wait to get on da court with u gon be scary @matthew_mors https://t.co/gaaZHbnABj— Chucky Hepburn (@ChuckyHepburn) January 10, 2020
- 2020 PWO Carter Gilmore (Hartland) continues to clog stat sheets all over Wisconsin with his impressive performances. I will say this every time we talk about him: he is going to be a huge steal in the class of 2020.
2020 F Carter Gilmore (6-7) of Arrowhead finished with 35 points, 11 rebounds and 6 blocked shots tonight to help the Warhawks turn back Oconomowoc in a Classic Eight Conference contest. pic.twitter.com/UCkpUD5xJD— Mark Miller (@WisBBYearbook) January 11, 2020
- 2020 3-star CG Johnny Davis (LaCrosse) went OFF in Central’s dominating win over Logan, 104-74. Central is the No. 1 ranked team in Division 2 and has a big game against Onalaska (No. 2 in Division 2) on Jan. 17th.
Central's Johnny Davis had 44 points and 10 rebounds. Logan's Floyd Thomas had 30 points.— Karley Marotta (@Karley_Marotta) January 11, 2020
Highlights from the showdown: https://t.co/XuSFOM5hEX
- 2021 4-star PG Chucky Hepburn (Bellevue, Neb.) is not only excited to get on campus to play with Matthew Mors, but will be bringing some talent of his own to Madison, including good pregame handshakes.
#ChuckyBuck3ts Class of 2021@WisconsinOnBTN @hoopz_wisconsin @ChuckyHepburn @coach_GQ pic.twitter.com/TkrkKYqIGB— Meliza Hepburn (@Meli4Hep) January 12, 2020
FINAL: Bellevue West 59, Council Bluffs Abraham Lincoln 53.— Jacob Padilla (@JacobPadilla_) January 12, 2020
BW: Cucky Hepburn 23 pts including 8 in the fourth with a dunk to cap it off; Louis Fidler 15 pts, 6-8 FG, 3-4 FT, 2 stl, 2 blk; John Shanklin 12 pts, 7 reb.
CBAL: Josh Dix 15 pts; Kaden Baxter 15 pts. #nebpreps
Football commit highlights
- 2020 4-star OL Jack Nelson (Stoughton) had an excellent performance at the All-America Bowl and may even be in line for a ratings bump up to a 5-star.
Wisconsin signee Jack Nelson has one of the best size/athleticism combinations among OT’s nationally and it showed @AABonNBC https://t.co/z3enrvdBML pic.twitter.com/zyHCFCLN1y— Charles Power (@CharlesPower) January 9, 2020
Here is what Power had to say about him:
Nelson would’ve been on the short list of prospects I was most curious to see in this setting. The 6-foot-7, 273-pound Wisconsin signee looks the part on paper, but has never been in a setting where he’d face the type of defensive linemen he saw in San Antonio. Nelson exceeded expectations. He had some of the most effective reps against Bryan Bresee I saw over the course of the week. Nelson’s dimensions and athleticism were known entering the week, but both checked out. On top of that, he showed really nice functional strength, especially for a taller, leaner offensive lineman. Even though he worked at guard over the course of the week, Nelson looks like one of the best tackles in the 2020 cycle.
- 2020 3-star OL Dylan Barrett (St. Charles, Ill.) is ready to head up north to Madison.
To my family, coaches, teammates and friends thank you for the support on and off the field. I will always carry St. Charles with me as I head into this next chapter up in Madison. On Wisconsin. ⚪️ : @digiulioanthony pic.twitter.com/1Jzsijgpuy— Dylan Barrett (@dylanfootball51) January 10, 2020
Football target updates
- 2022 4-star S Braelon Allen (Fond du Lac) was named one of the best players in the country for his class.
Thankful to be a second team sophomore All-American selection pic.twitter.com/luV3lMNPCX— Braelon Allen (@BraelonAllen) January 10, 2020
This talented in-state prospect is gaining more and more momentum on the recruiting trail and getting an offer from Notre Dame confirms it. Allen was planning on making his college choice last week, but moved it back and will now make some visits first and it is unknown when he’ll make a final decision. The Badgers are still thought to be in the lead for his services, but you never know what’ll happen once the blue-bloods come calling.
Beyond excited to announce I have received an offer from the University of Notre Dame #GoIrish @Coach_TJoseph @TomLoy247 pic.twitter.com/2bdCfHTVd1— Braelon Allen (@BraelonAllen) January 11, 2020
- 2022 QB target Devin Brown (Queen Creek, Ariz.) is also picking up interest from some other schools. The Badgers had been his only offer for a while, but now they Iowa State Cyclones have hopped into the mix. Worth keeping an eye on his recruitment as the Badgers have been pretty good at identifying QB talent early and trying to lock up their “guy” early.
So very honored and grateful to @CoachJGordo for offering me an opportunity to play football at Iowa State University where one of Arizona’s greatest of all time @brockpurdy13 is smashimg records. @QCFBRecruiting #QCBULLDOGS pic.twitter.com/3w941hR1J1— Devin Brown (@dbrownqb33) January 11, 2020