Recruiting is the lifeblood of any major college athletics team, but following it closely as a fan can sometimes be difficult and can often be time consuming. We’ll try and condense all the recruiting news you can use into this weekly post. It’ll include updates on current commits as well as news on players the Badgers are still pursuing. Let’s get down to business!
Official Visits for This Weekend
Witt, you may remember, chose the Badgers after decommitting from both Iowa and Minnesota.
- 2020 3-star WR prospect Isaac Smith of Tennessee will also be on campus this weekend. We have a breakdown of his game here. His offer list includes Mizzou, Army and a handful of FCS schools.
- Lastly, 2020 3-star DE James Thompson Jr. out of Ohio will be joining the Badgers for an official visit on Saturday. Iowa State, Navy, Akron and a few other teams are interested in Thompson.
- The basketball team also uses home football weekend to bring in recruits on official visits and joining two Minnesota big men this weekend will be in-state guard commit Johnny Davis. Davis, who just got a MAJOR bump in the Rivals150 rankings, is currently starring for the La Crosse Central football team and will be joined by his twin brother Jordan, who will be on an unofficial visit.
FNL: Eau Claire Memorial wins a shootout against La Crosse Central— Evan Flood (@Evan_Flood) August 30, 2019
Loyal Crawford: 335 yards, 5 touchdowns
Johnny Davis: 459 total yards, 6 touchdowns
Jordan Davis: 13 receptions, 241 yards, 2 touchdownshttps://t.co/rBffreg7x9 (VIP) #Badgers pic.twitter.com/6wWtm4Y5k9
Football Recruiting News
- Top Badgers 2020 target, Minneapolis LB Kaden Johnson, received an offer from a school that just lost to Georgia State at home.
- Top 2021 in-state prospect, S Hunter Wohler, received an offer from B1G rival, Ohio State. Wohler’s recruitment is going to be a battle for Paul Chryst. The Badgers have an early advantage, since he’s a Wisconsin kid, but more offers of Ohio State’s caliber will be coming.
After a great talk with @CoachJeffHafley and @CoachGMattison I am proud and excited to announce that I have received an offer from the Ohio State University. Can’t wait to get on campus for a game #GoBucks pic.twitter.com/cMBW7cQ1Rd— Hunter Wohler (@HunterWohler) September 3, 2019
Muskego (WI) 2021 safety Hunter Wohler has added a scholarship offer from Ohio State. Wohler was an All-State pick last year and holds offers from Wisconsin, Iowa, and Michigan State amongst others and has 24 tackles already this year. #wisfb https://t.co/d1cCEC9eIg pic.twitter.com/WaRWV1RzRt— Travis Wilson (@travisWSN) September 3, 2019
- A 3-star Illinois TE prospect, Jameson Geers, will be on campus this weekend for an unofficial visit.
High School Football Updates
- 2020 Illinois OL Dylan Barrett nabbed a spot on the Blue-Grey All-American team. Here’s our writeup on Barrett.
- Rivals National Recruiting Director, Mike Farrell, thinks that Badgers in-state commit OT Trey Wedig could find himself ranked in the top-100 after the season. Here is our breakdown of Wedig’s commitment.
- 2020 LB commit Nick Herbig and his St. Louis (Hawaii) team had a huge game in the Aloha Classic last Friday. First, here is Herbig’s Wisconsin commitment breakdown. Now, on to what happened in the game.
Always play till the whistle #SCTOP10@StLouisHawaii LB @nickherbig_ bringing the for the scoop & score on the backwards pass against Bishop Gorman— Aven (@avensantiago) August 31, 2019
#1 Ranked Crusaders take down the Gaels at Aloha Stadium 31-19#SupportHighSchoolSports pic.twitter.com/9ZRDxdO1n1
Saint Louis beat Bishop Gorman (Nevada) 31-19 in a matchup that was widely considered to be between the two best teams in the west that don’t play in California. Herbig had a fumble recovery for a touchdown and three tackles.
“It was a great feeling to represent the state and for the whole team to show everybody what the 808 is about,” Saint Louis linebacker Nick Herbig said of the win.
Aloha Football Classic MVP’s Offense Koali Nishigaya Defense Nick Herbig Legendary coach Cal Lee! pic.twitter.com/wVqJlYvvc1— Rich Miano (@richmiano38) September 4, 2019
- Rivals has a nice interview with in-state commit Cole Dakovich.
- Highlights for 2021 QB commit Deacon Pe’a Hill.
Game 2 highlights 21-14 dub https://t.co/yEocdJIuIp— Deacon Pe’a Hill (@dhillsb10) September 1, 2019
Lorne Bowman Jump Shooting Update
- Just as an FYI.