Good morning! This is going to be a daily(ish) post that discusses the goings on of the rest of the Big Ten Conference, and the country as needed. Much like the European Union, the Big Ten is a loosely confederated group of entities that sometimes have the same goals (like free movement of people between countries or not winning national titles in football or basketball) and sometimes accept new members that they later regret (Estonia or Rutgers).
We hope that you will use this post to comment on things happening around the conference and also as a sort of daily open thread to discuss breaking news or argue about Spotted Cow.
- Amanda, you are welcome at Wisconsin practice any time.
Everybody trying to make up something that comes after Hot Girl Summer is doing too much. We already have that on the calendar and it’s Big Boy Szn— Amanda Mull (@amandamull) September 5, 2019
- Jonathan Taylor is the third ranked RB on this board?!?! I have never been more personally offended by anything anyone has ever said to me and one time a bar regular of mine misremembered where I am from and said New Jersey.
Wisconsin RB Jonathan Taylor (@JayT23) is the focus of this week’s Grind Time episode. @GrindingTheTape broke down Taylor’s Week 1 performance, including the first 2 receiving TDs of his college career. #OnWisconsin @BadgerFootball pic.twitter.com/EkmsDXc4Tv— The Draft Network (@DraftNetworkLLC) September 4, 2019
- Chuba Howard is an excellent name. HE should be the first RB taken in the NFL Draft.
No one could bring down Christopher Brown Jr in Week 1! pic.twitter.com/IhgrljX7V7— PFF College (@PFF_College) September 4, 2019
- Happy second day of school, Badgers students. Do any of you know that people my age thought Adam Sandler was (because HE WAS) one of the funniest people alive for many years?
- Our boss (?) is on the bandwagon now!
(slams buzzer) WHO IS BROOKS BOLLINGER— Ryan Nanni (@celebrityhottub) September 4, 2019
- Did you know that we are doing a red and white stripey thing for the Michigan game in a few weeks? I, dear reader, did not! No need to buy one of these shirts but maybe note where you are sitting and don’t wear some weird color like orange ::glares at hunting dads:: to this game.
Gear up for the @BadgerFootball STRIPE OUT on September 21 vs Michigan! ⚪ Order this exclusive @UWBuckyBadger Pennant T-Shirt in red or white depending on your section. Buy it now: https://t.co/ZEveGWeY3h pic.twitter.com/IbyAWUb0Up— UWshop.com (@UWshop) September 4, 2019
- Yup, Rose Lavelle is still the best.
Some more updates on the current women’s soccer team (and Lavelle).
- ::starts reading tweet:: OMG I do NOT care about who the team captains are for the Tampa Bay Buc ::gets to end of tweet:: HOLY CRAP! DARE OGUNBOWALEEEEEEEEEE!
The Bucs have chosen their team captains: Jameis Winston, Mike Evans and Ali Marpet on offense, Lavonte David and Carl Nassib on defense, Dare Ogunbowale on special teams.— Scott Smith (@ScottSBucs) September 4, 2019
Dare Ogunbowale’s story is pretty impressive— Zach Heilprin (@ZachHeilprin) September 4, 2019
* Walk-on DB
* Moves to RB due to injuries
* Team captain SR year
* Most receptions by a UW RB (60) over 2 years since at least 2000
* Undrafted, signed & cut by three teams
* Makes TB’s 53-man roster
* Named ST captain #Badgers
Dare Ogunbowale on being voted as the special teams captain. pic.twitter.com/sjnzeRi47D— PewterReport (@PewterReport) September 4, 2019
Screw that red and white stripe out, let’s all wear Bucs Ogunbowale jerseys to every game.
- I need the hockey season to start because I’m pretty sure I now think Cole Caufield is going to average two goals per period.
My story on #Habs draft pick Cole Caufield learning that hockey is a family affair at University of Wisconsin @BadgerMHockey with coach Tony Granato, his Hall of Fame sister Cammi Granato and her husband Ray Ferraro #HabsIO: https://t.co/S3w5puhYmF— Stu Cowan (@StuCowan1) September 4, 2019
- A lot of random college hoops chatter on the timeline on Wednesday, and some of it even pertained to the Badgers!
As our Team of the Decade tournament winds down, @TheAndyKatz released his All-Decade Team on the March Madness 365 podcast! #MMToD— NCAA March Madness (@marchmadness) September 4, 2019
Frank Mason III
2010s leading scorers in NCAA tourney games: pic.twitter.com/dMXHmJopeV— Bart T rvik (@totally_t_bomb) September 4, 2019
Sam Dekker, and Carsen Edwards, really played well in March, huh?
- Big volleyball game tonight (Thursday) for the Badgers vs. Marquette (7:00 p.m. CT, FS1). We all know about the Rettkes and the Hilleys so here is an article about a player you may not know as much about.
Ashburn is currently second in the conference in service aces per set, and first among freshmen, and tenth in digs per set among freshmen.
- Your daily Central Michigan update
The secondary should keep an eye, or two, on Kalil Pimpleton on Saturday.
These wide receivers saw the highest passer rating when targeted in Week 1! pic.twitter.com/tUA1LlUvPR— PFF College (@PFF_College) September 4, 2019
Jim McElwain knows this is a big opportunity for his team.
Central Michigan coach Jim McElwain on the week leading up to playing No. 17 Wisconsin.— Evan Petzold (@EvanPetzold) September 5, 2019
“It’s a great opportunity for our guys to go compete and match themselves against the best.” pic.twitter.com/A20aPwP81P
McElwain has coached all over Michigan, and a bunch of other places, but feels at home in Mt. Pleasant.
- Junior TE and special teams contributor, Darius Pittman, has left the Purdue football team.
- A.J. Epenesa didn’t record a tackle for loss in Iowa’s first game. I’d bench him against Wisconsin as punishment if I were Kirk Ferentz. Just one man’s opinion.
- Russian wing Daniil Kasatkin has left the PSU basketball team to pursue a pro career.
- Nebraska at Colorado should be a fun game. And by “fun” I mean “hate-filled” which will make it fun for us, the neutralish observer. I went to the Colorado/Colorado State game in Boulder one time many years ago. Well, let’s be accurate, I was in Boulder for the game and my friends and I tailgated, wearing yellow shirts with a buffalo mounting a ram, and none of us watched a minute of the game because we didn’t care. But complete strangers, who invited us to their tailgate at their house, let us stay in their living room while they went to the game. Thankfully, we didn’t break or steal anything from their home. Very friendly people in Boulder. Go Buffs!
- Lot of quarterback angst in Evanston these days. You hate to see it.
- There is none of that in Columbus.
- A DRONE MADE ARRESTS DURING MICHIGAN’S FIRST FOOTBALL GAME! THE ROBOTS ARE COMING FOR US ALL! RUNNNNNNN! Or, was it just an Army scouting mission ahead of their matchup this week?
- After a 1-1 start to the season, the men’s soccer team is nowhere near being ranked, but Indiana and Maryland are ranked No. 2 and No. 3 respectively and Michigan State is at No. 16 after ::squints:: an 0-0-2 start to the season.
- We already mentioned that the Gophers were upset last week in the volleyball B1G/ACC Challenge, but they bounced back on Wednesday night and...got swept by No. 3 Texas as well.
Final from Texas.— Minnesota Volleyball (@GopherVBall) September 5, 2019
Set 1: 22-25
Set 2: 27-29
Set 3: 33-35 pic.twitter.com/53Er3ru9j2
- Go Pack tonight. Bears suck.