Good morning! This is going to be a daily(ish) post that discusses the goings on of the rest of the Big Ten Conference, and the country as needed. Much like the European Union, the Big Ten is a loosely confederated group of entities that sometimes have the same goals (like free movement of people between countries or not winning national titles in football or basketball) and sometimes accept new members that they later regret (Estonia or Rutgers).
We hope that you will use this post to comment on things happening around the conference and also as a sort of daily open thread to discuss breaking news or argue about Spotted Cow.
- First, to get your day started right, a little music for you to turn all the way up.
SUMMERTIME LOVERRRR pic.twitter.com/1SaSQ0BbUE— Mike Taddow (@taddmike) September 3, 2019
- Bucci is high on the men’s hockey team. He’s got a handle on how things go in college hockey so this is an actual ranking to pay attention to.
NEW 2019 Preseason BucciMane #CawlidgeHawkey Top 16— Bucci Mane (@Buccigross) September 3, 2019
1 UMD (Minnesota-Duluth)
3 Minnesota St
4 Penn State
6 Boston College
11 Western Michigan
12 Bowling Green
14 Ohio State
15 North Dakota
16 AIC pic.twitter.com/TVLgAMlcW1
You’ll note that the top-three teams are all from the Badgers’ former conference, the WCHA (RIP), and that the Gophers are nowhere to be found.
- These All-Access videos of the men’s hockey team have been great.
Water balloon tossing, good hockey and great support all part of the #Badgers trip to Vancouver, but the bonding time might be the biggest takeaway from north of the border.— Wisconsin Hockey (@BadgerMHockey) September 3, 2019
Take a look in this week's Wisconsin Hockey All-Access. pic.twitter.com/L9ENpSfCwK
- Is there any better combo then: big play to end the 3rd quarter; exciting student section race; the first horn blasts of Jump Around? The answer of course is no, there is not.
Some people call it a game tradition— Wisconsin Football (@BadgerFootball) September 4, 2019
We consider Jump Around a way of life
Let's live life to the fullest this Saturday!#OnWisconsin || #Badgers pic.twitter.com/VmOAV4VIZU
- His first career college snap he recorded a tackle. Pretty tough rate to keep up tbqh.
Minor note from our chat today with #Badgers DC Jim Leonhard. He cited several young guys who flashed in opener, including NT Keeanu Benton: "You put on his first four or five clips and you kind of go: 'Wow.'"— Jeff Potrykus (@jaypo1961) September 3, 2019
- Madison Cone is a good teammate!
Since they not givin you no credit for the PBU good play Ceez @Caesar_Austin https://t.co/kBuiE1AqT3— Madison Cone (@Coney31island) September 3, 2019
- The pass defense, which wasn’t great last year but saw a lot of young players get reps, was great in Week 1.
Top Pass Defense— Pick Six Previews (@PickSixPreviews) September 4, 2019
• QB Rating against
54.7 - LSU
66.1 - Stanford
66.3 - TCU
69.7 - Wisconsin
71.7 - Maryland
73.4 - Alabama
74.1 - Illinois
78.6 - UGA
79.7 - Arkansas
83.1 - Notre Dame
- Women’s soccer dropped one spot in the rankings, but remains the second highest rated team in the conference behind PSU.
Week ✌ and @BadgerWSoccer is rolling in again at #16 #OnWisconsin https://t.co/FS9vBCfh65— Marisa Kresge (@marisakresge) September 3, 2019
- Some highlights, from assistant coach Gary White, of the volleyball team’s 2-0 start to the season.
A great weekend with our crew! Check out these amazing plays made by @BadgerVB in our matches with FSU and UNC! pic.twitter.com/8BQewkShcT— Gary White (@GaryScottWhite) September 3, 2019
- Two volleyball Badgers won weekly awards from the B1G.
- This isn’t specifically Wisconsin football related, but it is an interesting stat.
2019 NFL Rosters by Original Draft Slot— Jason_OTC (@Jason_OTC) September 3, 2019
Rd 1- 14.3%
Rd 2- 11.0%
Rd 3- 11.1%
Rd 4- 9.9%
Rd 5- 8.6%
Rd 6- 8.4%
Rd 7- 5.7%
The Badgers have a handful of undrafted free agents on NFL rosters and we’ll have a post later today with an update on where you can find all of them!
- Freddie Owens’ buzzer beater against Tulsa in the NCAA Tournament is one of them all-time great shots in Badgers basketball history.
Congrats to former Badger guard @FreddieOwens on being named an assistant coach @LoyolaMBBhttps://t.co/lk3Nncgp9l— Wisconsin Basketball (@BadgerMBB) September 3, 2019
- Some Central Michigan news:
Florida transfer CB Brian Edwards is not eligible to play yet.
Head coach Jim McElwain is pleased his first game at CMU but knows there is more to do.
A quick gamer from CMU’s first game, a win over FCS Albany.
Matt and Tyler will have more on the Chippewas later today!
- We have never poked fun at any other school or team in college football, but if Corn Nation thinks it’s ok to do that...well, that’s their prerogative I guess.
"im not owned! im not owned!!", i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob— wint (@dril) November 11, 2011
- Rutgers isn’t last in BHGP’s B1G power rankings! They were last in their own blog’s rankings for goodness sakes!
- One of the student gates at Purdue’s Ross-Ade Stadium will be renamed after Boilermakers alum Tyler Trent.
- Michigan scared!
Seeing how Wisconsin performed coupled with Michigan struggling a bit in the opener makes the trip to Madison in Week 4 following the bye week look a little more daunting that it may have coming into the season, but that was always going to be a tough game to play.
- Northwestern is searching for something, anything, to be positive about after their loss to Stanford. Official Player of Bob Wiedenhoeft, Hunter Johnson, is compared here to Clayton Thorson.
- The Wildcats volleyball team is off to a hot start.