Good morning! This is going to be a daily(ish) post that discusses the goings on of the rest of the Big Ten Conference, and the country as needed. Much like the European Union, the Big Ten is a loosely confederated group of entities that sometimes have the same goals (like free movement of people between countries or not winning national titles in football or basketball) and sometimes accept new members that they later regret (Estonia or Rutgers).
We hope that you will use this post to comment on things happening around the conference and also as a sort of daily open thread to discuss breaking news or argue about Spotted Cow.
- I think it’s safe to say that Wisconsin is the best team in the country, right? What do you think Phil Steele?
My average game grades only take into account yards and points and who a team has played this year.— Phil Steele (@philsteele042) September 22, 2019
Here are current ranks
1. Wisconsin 123.9
2. Ohio St 121.1
3. Alabama 119.6
4. Clemson 115.5
5. Oklahoma 113.3
6. Auburn 111.8
7. LSU 110.5
8. Oregon 109.8
9. Georgia 108.3
Well, that’s just one man’s opinion. Anybody else?
Top Yardage Differential— Pick Six Previews (@PickSixPreviews) September 23, 2019
- Per Game, Through Week 4
+303 Ohio State
+202 Texas Tech
Hmm, that’s interesting. Do you have any thoughts on the matter Marshawn Lynch?
And over ... and over ... and over ... and over ... and over ... and over again. #OnWisconsin pic.twitter.com/xrrOLTSgRw— Wisconsin Football (@BadgerFootball) September 23, 2019
- Rose Lavelle was named one of the best soccer players in the world on Monday. Not bad for a girl from Cincinnati.
We’ve always known it.— U.S. Soccer WNT (@USWNT) September 23, 2019
Best in the World ⭐️
Congrats to these FIVE for making the FIFA @FIFPro World11. pic.twitter.com/tR8IYkHDFv
- I am of the opinion that most of the Wisconsin alternate uniforms have been bad and also not good. I liked the basketball unis that they wore during February a few years ago and...uh...that’s about it.
Whatever, though, it’s not really for me. If the players are excited, let them wear whatever stupid shit they want!
#Badgers are excited to wear their alternate uniforms this week. Faion Hicks said they'd like to wear alternates more often. Said they will have something special for the game at Lambeau Field next year.— Zach Heilprin (@ZachHeilprin) September 23, 2019
- Besides winning conference player of the week, which he did, Jonathan Taylor was also named offensive player of the week by Athlon Sports.
Congrats to @BadgerFootball player Jonathan Taylor (@JayT23), our Offensive Player of the Week. #OnWisconsin— Athlon Sports (@AthlonSports) September 23, 2019
See all of our Week 4 College Football Awards: https://t.co/HGLD6FQwPb pic.twitter.com/CjJlLxYvUI
- Alec Ingold approves.
Having too much fun watching my dogs ball this year! RBU is alive and well #OnWisconsin pic.twitter.com/tg1K6rfV9V— Alec Ingold (@AI_XLV) September 23, 2019
- If you think my football and basketball recruiting posts are ill-informed, just wait until you see my cross country ones!
Extremely excited to announce that I will be continuing my academic and athletic career at the University of Wisconsin! Grateful for all the people in my life who have helped make this possible. Go Badgers! pic.twitter.com/CvqBrnEeKt— Evan Bishop (@evanjbishop) September 23, 2019
I think Evan Bishop will be fast.
- Rough game for former Badger Michael Dieter. Kevin will have a roundup of all the Badgers in the NFL later this week so you know that not everyone had a bad week.
Michael Deiter and J’Marcus Webb allowed a total of 16 pressures on Sunday per @PFF_RyanSmith. Deiter was thrust into LT spot unexpectedly.— Joe Schad (@schadjoe) September 23, 2019
- Current Badgers o-line is getting some national love after grading the road for Taylor and co. against Michigan.
Other takeaways from Michigan game;— Cole Cubelic (@colecubelic) September 23, 2019
This @BadgerFootball OL has some serious nasty to them...
This film may have cemented Tyler Biadasz as the best center in the nation as of today.
Big fan of Logan Bruss at RT as well.
- Hockey starts this weekend!
Hockey is almost here!#Badgers head coach Mark Johnson chatted with the media today at UW's weekly press conferencehttps://t.co/UjV0Mtol2v— Wisconsin Hockey (@BadgerWHockey) September 23, 2019
- Basketball starts soon too!
New challenge for y’all #EggChallenge pic.twitter.com/tvmtAuUdp3— D'Mitrik Trice (@DMitrikTrice0) September 23, 2019
- Northwestern football updates: I dislike Pat Fitzgerald.
“Airtight job security” is being 128th of 130 teams in offense and seeing fit to attempt a 360 tomahawk dunk on anyone asking if your offense needs work https://t.co/BQEY1eX8xm— Rodger Sherman (@rodger) September 23, 2019
Here is their two-deep for Saturday.
The two-deep for Wisco is here. Trae Williams is not listed. The second cornerback slot remains a huge concern for this team. https://t.co/AfueqPWb9J— Inside NU (@insidenu) September 23, 2019
Here are the rest of Fitzgerald’s press conference notes.
Preliminary scouting from Inside NU on the Badgers.
- NU got some good news on the basketball recruiting front. A 2020 6-foot-10 center verbally committed to the team, their first recruit in this cycle.
- Who should be the GameDay picker in Lincoln this weekend? My pick is a coroner because Ohio State is gonna kill Nebraska! ::rimshot::
- I feel like Black Shoe Diaries is making fun of Michigan offensive coordinator Josh Gattis but they are saying nice things about him. Hmmmmm.
- Ohio State S Isaiah Pryor will sit out the rest of the year and then transfer.
- Michigan fans are despondent.
- Rutgers will have a starting QB against Michigan. This much I know.
- Maryland RB Jake Funk is out for the season with a torn ACL. Man, do the Terps have bad luck with ligament injuries.
- Here is how MSU fans felt after playing Northwestern.
- The Gophers volleyball team is on a hot streak.