With five top-20 teams losing over the weekend, a shakeup was expected in the polls. That came into fruition Sunday, as Wisconsin climbed to No. 9 in the updated Coaches Poll. The Badgers also rose in the Associated Press Top 25, finding a new spot at No. 8.
Coming off a big victory over Michigan, Wisconsin now finds itself in the top 10 for the first time since the early onset of last season.
Let’s look at how the polls shape up for the rest of the Big Ten and across the nation.
Ohio State held steady in the polls as the other top-10 team for the conference outside of Wisconsin at No. 6 in the Coaches Poll and No. 5 in the AP Poll. The Buckeyes cruised against Miami of Ohio.
After losing, Michigan tumbled down the rankings to 20th.
Both Penn State and Iowa had bye weeks but still jumped up in the updated rankings to just outside the top 10.
POLL ALERT: Wisconsin breaks into top 10 of AP Top 25 presented by @askRegions; Cal up to No. 15; Michigan, Utah, UCF fall; Clemson stays No. 1.— AP Top 25 (@AP_Top25) September 22, 2019
Full poll: https://t.co/DWCBw9xytP
For more AP college football coverage: https://t.co/Fy8sGPLf7y pic.twitter.com/HEj6ymgoyJ
- In the top five, there was very little movement in the polls. Alabama and Clemson have dominated the top two spots all season long. Georgia has been the third ranked team all year long.
- Notre Dame fell to number 10 after losing at Georgia by six points on the road.
- Cal was one of the big winners from the weekend as they are now undefeated and up to No. 15 or No. 16 depending on the poll.
- Arizona State and Washington State both fell out of the rankings after losing yesterday.
- Texas A&M is the only ranked team in either poll to have two losses.
- The SEC has an astounding five teams in the top ten.
If #Badgers fans are curious, UW is in top 10 of both major polls for the first time since Week 3 last season. UW was 2-0 and No. 6 in both polls before suffering a 24-21 home loss to BYU.— Jeff Potrykus (@jaypo1961) September 22, 2019
AP Top 25: USC, Kansas State, Michigan State
Coaches Poll: Wake Forest, USC.