Good morning! This is going to be a daily(ish) post that discusses the goings on of the rest of the Big Ten Conference, and the country as needed. Much like the European Union, the Big Ten is a loosely confederated group of entities that sometimes have the same goals (like free movement of people between countries or not winning national titles in football or basketball) and sometimes accept new members that they later regret (Estonia or Rutgers).
We hope that you will use this post to comment on things happening around the conference and also as a sort of daily open thread to discuss breaking news or argue about Spotted Cow.
- ICYMI on Sunday evening, we had two posts go up: three things we learned from the win over USF and our first B1G Power Rankings of the season, because preseason rankings are meaningless.
- The men’s hockey team looked really good in their two exhibition games over the weekend in Vancouver. Here is an article from Todd Milewski about the Badgers’ recruiting efforts in Canada. The key takeaway for me is this new NCAA rule:
Legislation that went into effect in May means NCAA programs can’t offer scholarships to players until Aug. 1 before their junior year of high school. That has been a change for the Badgers and other teams that offered players at an early age.
Eighteen of the 29 players on UW’s recruiting list for future seasons gave the team an oral commitment when they were either 14 or 15.
The power play was clicking all weekend as the Badgers won the first game 3-0.
Dylan Holloway on the power play. pic.twitter.com/uPJWMRakfA— Wisconsin Hockey (@BadgerMHockey) August 31, 2019
Final: @BadgerMHockey wins the first of two games on its Vancouver trip 3-0 over @UBCMHKY. Daniel Lebedeff with the shutout for UW, which killed 7 power plays. Cole Caufield, Dylan Holloway and Jason Dhooghe scored.— Todd Milewski (@ToddMilewski) August 31, 2019
Bucci has some PREDICTIONS for Cole Caufield this season!
40 goals may be underselling it.
We’ve been talking about Caufield and the rest of this freshman class all summer, and for good reason. They are all really talented and immediately make the Badgers a deep and dangerous team. I really hope Caufield makes my Flyers regret not drafting him.
If you haven’t heard, our @BadgerMHockey team has a freshman class worth watching.— Wisconsin Badgers (@UWBadgers) September 1, 2019
Team USA’s greatest goal scorer, a top-five NHL pick and Canada’s top Junior A hockey player all join for the 2019-20 season.
- https://t.co/sGFXOKlWyI pic.twitter.com/MDA7xIh6CI
- NFL rosters were finalized over the weekend so there is a bunch of Badgers in the NFL news. We won’t get too in-depth here, because we’ll have a weekly column about the pro Badgers starting this week, but here are a couple of the highlights.
Unheralded. Unsung. Unwanted. Undrafted. On Day of Turk (Reckoning), they weren't unappreciated. Alec Ingold (Raiders), Beau Benzschawel (Lions) & TJ Edwards (Eagles) made NFL rosters. Edwards joins UW 'brother' Corey Clement & Brad Davison's brother-in-law (LJ Fort) in Philly— Mike Lucas (@LucasAtLarge) September 1, 2019
I am so proud of my son @DGO23_ . From a walk on @BadgerFootball , he scratched and clawed his way to the 53 man roster @Buccaneers . Now go and earn your keep. Keep working hard. I love you dearly. Congratulations. pic.twitter.com/t3TLrXGuXP— Greg_O (@Ogunbogy) August 31, 2019
The Ogunbowale family is making it a little dusty in here!
Every Badger drafted this year made their 53-man roster (Michael Deiter-Dolphins, Andrew van Ginkel-Dolphins, David Edwards-Rams, Ryan Connelly-Giants).— Ryan Wing (@RyanWingFOX11) September 1, 2019
3 undrafted free agents also made the 53-man (Alec Ingold-Raiders, TJ Edwards-Eagles, Beau Benzschawel-Lions)
Finally tally of #Badgers cut by NFL teams:— Dave Heller (@dave_heller) August 31, 2019
- Rock will have a breakdown of the volleyball team’s successful trip to North Carolina on Tuesday.
Repping the Big Ten in Chapel Hill with a— Wisconsin Volleyball (@BadgerVB) August 30, 2019
Highlights vs. Florida State ️⬇️ pic.twitter.com/heobvKvT4x
Home opener is this week vs. Marquette and Rock will have a preview of this weekend’s games along with the recap of last week’s.
How it feels knowing we are back at the Field House this week pic.twitter.com/GmUKvrFDTL— Wisconsin Volleyball (@BadgerVB) September 1, 2019
- The women’s soccer team had an exciting weekend featuring two (2!!) OT victories!
The men’s soccer team split their games this weekend and Bob’s Field House Chronicles will have recaps of all the action over the weekend.
- Montee Ball is hosting alcohol-free football game watch parties at various movie theaters around Madison. It’s great that he’s giving back to the community with such fervor.
- The tracks teams are, per usual, looking good heading into the season.
There are 6⃣ programs in NCAA DI Cross Country with both their men's & women's teams ranked No. 1 in the Preseason Regional Rankings! #NCAAXC @BadgerTrackXC - GL@CycloneTrackXC - MW@OleMissTrack - S@RazorbackTF - SC@PackXC - SE@UWTrack - W#MondayMotivation pic.twitter.com/kZzRJEAwuA— USTFCCCA (@USTFCCCA) August 26, 2019
- Former Badgers softball star Kelsey Jenkins is going to the Olympics in 2020 with Canada.
- Getting an SEC talent like this to transfer to the Badgers would be huge tbqh.
I’m officially entering the college football fan transfer portal. This has been a tough time. Plz respect my decision. Thank you. pic.twitter.com/91yiuMnlRO— Greg Butcher (@GregButcher_) September 1, 2019
- Iowa took care of Miami (OH) in their season opener.
- Grades for Penn State’s absolute destruction of poor Idaho and news of a 3-star OL from New Jersey committing.
- Nebraska nabbed a 3-star DE from Florida for their 2021 class over the weekend. On Adrian Martinez’s leadership abilities.
- Nebraska volleyball started the season 2-0 with wins over UCLA and Creighton.
- Purdue volleyball season preview.
- Northwestern has a lot to work on after having the life squeezed out of them by Stanford.
- Was Ohio State’s opening win against FAU good or bad? Well...it may have been both.
- Michigan was underwhelming in their first game of the season, but were they really as bad as you remember?
- A 3-star PF from North Carolina, with Rutgers connections, became the first commit in 2020 for the Scarlet Knights basketball team.
- Rutgers women’s soccer is off to a 4-0 start.
- 3-star DE from Florida picks Terps over host of other schools.
- Illinois volleyball eked out a 5-set victory over Tennessee in their home opener.
- The Gophers volleyball team, how do I put this lightly, struggled over the weekend in the B1G/ACC Challenge.