Good morning! This is going to be a daily(ish) post that discusses the goings on of the rest of the Big Ten Conference, and the country as needed. Much like the European Union, the Big Ten is a loosely confederated group of entities that sometimes have the same goals (like free movement of people between countries or not winning national titles in football or basketball) and sometimes accept new members that they later regret (Estonia or Rutgers).
We hope that you will use this post to comment on things happening around the conference and also as a sort of daily open thread to discuss breaking news or argue about Spotted Cow.
- There was a lot of recruiting news yesterday that, presumably, you could use. First, there was the preferred walk-on OL from Wisconsin that committed to the Badgers. Next, there was a recap of some of the other players in the 2020 class and how they are doing in their high school seasons. Then there was the commitment of a 2020 center from Minnesota for the basketball team. And finally, there was a film breakdown of that basketball player (Steven Crowl, for those of you who can’t wait and click through) to see how he’ll fit once he’s on the floor with the Badgers. Good day imo.
- Here are your captains for the women’s hockey team this year.
Bob has a lot more on the women’s hockey team in yesterday’s Field House Chronicles.
- If Dana Rettke wanted to hit her teammate in the head with a volleyball, she would have. This was just a warning shot.
I felt the breeze of the ball on my cheek https://t.co/eEhrYV9I0n— M.E. Dodge (@Mdodge19volley) September 17, 2019
- So, um, the Badgers are going to get to wrestle on a DANGED AIRCRAFT CARRIER this fall.
Any West Coast Badgers should go and check this out. Tickets and info here. It looks like it’ll be televised too, which is good for the rest of us. All sports should play at least one game a year on an aircraft carrier if we are being honest. The Badgers and Navy will be the second of the two duals and I don’t know what NavyBadger is going to do!
- Back to Wisconsin basketball recruiting for a minute. Former Badger recruit, Taylor Currie will now be doing his hooping at Akron.
Jeremiah 29:11 Thankful to God, My Family, and My Coaches and Teammates at Mott!! Very excited to announce I have committed to play for the University of Akron and Coach Groce!! Go Zips ⚡️⚡️⚡️ pic.twitter.com/FgMbPUKsUq— Taylor Currie (@_swaggyt33) September 17, 2019
- We’ll have more on offers and visits and all that other recruiting goodness on Thursday, but one offer of note that was just extended by Paul Chryst was to Donald Driver’s son, Cristian.
I am extremely grateful and blessed to receive an offer from The University of Wisconsin!!! Thanks to my Family coaches and teammates. @jimleonhard @PaulChrystWISC @CoachKhalif @CoachGilmoreUW @BadgerFootball @car20ruiz @RossRoby1 @Steven_Greek #OnWisconsin pic.twitter.com/28YPxT10Z8— Mr. Driver (@CristianDriver_) September 18, 2019
The younger Driver is a 4-star 2022 WR/DB out of Argyle, Texas. He has an impressive offer sheet already which features: LSU, Michigan, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Penn State, Oregon, Texas, TCU, Virginia Tech and yes...even Rutgers.
- Joe Thomas, who is continuing to live his best life in retirement, spent much of yesterday shouting at people online about various potential charcuterie ingredients.
How about head cheese is not cheese!— Joe Thomas (@joethomas73) September 17, 2019
- The football team is adamant that if you are going to the game on Saturday that you know what color to wear. Seems like making the students a white shirt section is a soulless cash grab since all of them already have a red shirt, but probably don’t all have a white one...but what do I know? Also, Penn State already does that soooooo
Check the map to find out if you are in a or ⚪️ section Saturday.— Wisconsin Football (@BadgerFootball) September 18, 2019
Let's make Camp Randall stand out!
⚪️: Sections A, C, E, G, I-P (includes Student Section), R, T, V, X, Y2, YZ, Z2, AA, CC, EE, GG, II, KK
: B, D, F, H, Q, S, U, W, Y1, Y3, Z3, Z1, BB, DD, FF, HH, JJ, LL pic.twitter.com/c6oGD7CzOK
- Another episode of Wisconsin Men’s Hockey All-Access.
- Wisconsin Volleyball Driven.
Being a TEAMMATE means being SELFLESS.— Wisconsin Volleyball (@BadgerVB) September 18, 2019
Tiffany Clark has learned that, and has become better for it. pic.twitter.com/Mo46EMb5Vk
More from the volleyball beat: Molly Haggerty is back to feeling like her old self and as mentioned yesterday, the Badgers have a new commit from Poland. Julia Orzol is a 6’1” outside hitter that was on one of the teams Wisconsin played during their European tour over the summer.
- Michigan is “out to make a statement” against the Badgers.
- ::prints out tweet, pins to bulletin board::
Metellus laughed that oddsmakers who "don't play football" have U-M as underdogs. "When the whistle blow, ain’t no more underdog. It’s me versus you, Wisconsin versus Michigan."— angelique (@chengelis) September 18, 2019
So the Wolverines don’t feel like underdogs? "No, we feel like Michigan.”
- A thorough look at every “critical” (they lay out what this means in the post) game that Michigan has played under Jim Harbaugh. This weekend is another one for ol’ King Khaki.
- I’ve enjoyed reading Corn Nation’s weekly “Cob” roundup which is basically a weekly review of the previous week’s biggest screw ups. It’s especially fun after Nebraska loses.
- How is Purdue looking a quarter of the way through the season?
- Is Ohio State better than everyone thought they’d be this year? God, I hope not.
- The Terps lose their starting RG for four to six weeks.
- Film breakdown of why MSU lost to ASU.
- Minnesota may have struggled to open the season, despite being 3-0, but WR Tyler Johnson has been amazing. He was named co-B1G Offensive Player of the Week for Week 3.