Recruiting is the lifeblood of any major college athletics team, but following it closely as a fan can sometimes be difficult and can often be time consuming. We’ll try and condense all the recruiting news you can use into this weekly post. It’ll include updates on current commits as well as news on players the Badgers are still pursuing. Let’s get down to business!
- 2021 4-star C Jackson Grant out of Olympia, Wash. is planning on being in Madison for the Michigan game in two Saturdays. That will be as good a weekend as any for potential recruits to be in town, so hopefully Grant is impressed by the atmosphere.
2021 prospect Jackson Grant has set three official visits, a source told @Stockrisers: Wisconsin (9/21), Stanford (10/29), and Washington (TBD).— Jake (@jakeweingarten) September 10, 2019
Washington’s Mike Hopkins will see him Thursday.
With a player like 3-star PF Chris Hodges already in the 2021 class, it would be really nice to pair another big man with him.
We’ll have a lot more to talk about, as far as visitors go, during this post next week.
- Speaking of Chris Hodges! Rivals released an updated Top-150 for the class of 2021 last week.
Plenty of #Wisconsin targets in the updated #Rivals150 for the 2021 class, a list that includes current commit Chris Hodges (137), as well as top targets Matthew Mors (121) and Chucky Hepburn (127), both of whom will take officials later this month.https://t.co/AI4iFMHumz pic.twitter.com/CUmHnOI5Dv— Jon McNamara (@McNamaraRivals) September 6, 2019
Hodges’ grassroots teammate, 5-star PG Max Christie, is listed at No. 18 on the list. The Badgers have been after him for a long time, but they are not expected to be there at the end when Christie makes a final decision.
The aforementioned Jackson Grant fell a few spots, but is still rated as the No. 56 player in his class. 3-star C Logan Duncomb out of Cincinnati is rated as No. 142 in the class and took a visit to Madison earlier in August.
- We mentioned this when it happened last week, but it is worth noting again. 2020 hoops commit, 3-star SG Jordan Davis of La Crosse, broke his collarbone playing football. We wish him a speedy recovery.
- The Minnesota Golden Gophers are still hot on the trial of a pair of 2020 Twin Cities prospects, Steven Crowl and Ben Carlson, that are also interested in the Badgers.
Steven Crowl had an official visit to Wisconsin this past weekend and is headed to Boulder this weekend to see what Colorado has to offer.
As first reported by @RyanJamesMN & confirmed by @Blessed2Coach, Steven Crowl will take official visits to Wisconsin on Sept 6, Colorado Sept 13, Iowa Sept 28, and possibly Minnesota on Sept 20. @adidasD1MN @MinnesotaRivals @mjessenhoward— David Sisk (@CoachDavidSisk) August 23, 2019
- I am not 100% sure what to do with this information, because I’m pretty sure 2023 is a made up year, but a 2023 recruit will be visiting Madison for the MSU game in October.
2023 Gus Yalden will take an unofficial visit to Wisconsin on October 12th at the Wisconsin/Mich State Game! He’s also receiving interest from Marquette Univeristy! @gusbus2023 @TeamGriffinEYBL @kellenmccoy33 @tdgriff32 @MattReynolds___ @PaulBiancardi pic.twitter.com/o8BKok0X0G— Team Griffin Coach John Roby (Recruiting Coord) (@TeamGriffinMS) September 11, 2019
- 2021 3-star QB Deacon Pe’a Hill continued to put up gaudy stat lines early in the season, collecting five touchdowns (three through the air and two on the ground) while throwing for 264 yards.
Game 3 Highlight— Deacon Pe’a Hill (@dhillsb10) September 7, 2019
264 passing yards
3 passing tds
2 rushing tds https://t.co/su9d66h6bY
- 247Sports ace, Evan Flood, watched Cole Dakovich play last Friday and noted that the versatile 3-star OLB/TE can also play two other positions.
Cole Dakovich has played defensive end, tight end, and wide receiver tonight. Now playing outside linebacker in the fourth quarter. #Badgers— Evan Flood (@Evan_Flood) September 6, 2019
- Y’all want some lineman highlights? HERE ARE SOME LINEMAN HIGHLIGHTS!
Man, Trey Wedig finishes blocks. I know he’s the highest rated recruit coming in for the 2020 class, but he looks like he’s going to be a really, really good player.
- New recruit highlights alert! 3-star DE James Thompson Jr. just picked Wisconsin as his collegiate destination this week. His Roger Bacon team dominated Newport Central Catholic 41-14 last week and Thompson had a nice game and basically lived in Newport Central Catholic’s backfield.