Good morning! This is going to be a daily(ish) post that discusses the goings on of the rest of the Big Ten Conference, and the country as needed. Much like the European Union, the Big Ten is a loosely confederated group of entities that sometimes have the same goals (like free movement of people between countries or not winning national titles in football or basketball) and sometimes accept new members that they later regret (Estonia or Rutgers).
We hope that you will use this post to comment on things happening around the conference and also as a sort of daily open thread to discuss breaking news or argue about Spotted Cow.
- Bucky’s 5th Podcast is back in business! Check it out and get ready for the game on Friday.
- Bill C. has his updated SP+ rankings out! What a time to be alive.
Hello, can I interest you in some updated 2019 SP+ projections?https://t.co/lLnDUBFEOl— Bill Connelly (@ESPN_BillC) August 28, 2019
Wisconsin is rated 14th, the highest in the division, and sits behind Ohio State and Michigan in the conference.
- An interesting thread from @PlannedSickDays on every P5 school’s depth chart related to recruiting rankings.
Here's the current depth chart rank using 247 composite for each player (44 each team) vs. its 4 year recruiting average pic.twitter.com/58PMglD17a— PlannedSickDays (@PlannedSickDays) August 28, 2019
- Tight end depth has been a topic of conversation since fall camp started so this is some good news.
Sixth-year TE Zander Neuville has been cleared to play for the #Badgers and began light practice activities this week.— Brian Mason (@Brian_Mason) August 28, 2019
There is no timetable yet on when he will begin playing in games.#OnWisconsin pic.twitter.com/kEAIvHJBxU
- An updated injury report for Week 1 adds one name to the “out for season” list.
- The next time Coach Dad gives us a solid answer about the quarterback depth chart will be the first time.
Paul Chryst says "they'll both be ready" when asked about co-backup QBs Graham Mertz and Chase Wolf. Plus, he discusses redshirting philosophy, WR Danny Davis and TE Luke Benzschawel. pic.twitter.com/hIeEJN5IaQ— Jesse Temple (@jessetemple) August 28, 2019
- Your 2021 QB recruit is already gassing up the guys he’s going to be throwing the ball to? Love to see it.
- The volleyball team is in North Carolina and ready to kick some ass.
Awesome hospitality and a great facility!! https://t.co/tH5wCyfOZs— Kelly Sheffield (@KellyPSheffield) August 29, 2019
- The women’s soccer team opens up its home portion of the schedule Thursday night against Marquette.
- The men’s soccer team opens up their season at home this weekend as well. Here are all the promos the team is running. Free pizza and a scarf for the Marquette game! I wonder if I’m still technically a student?
- Dare Ogunbowale Yahoo! fantasy football update!!!!!
Been playing fantasy football for over a decade.— Trevor Sikkema (@TampaBayTre) August 29, 2019
Seeing stuff like this will always blow my mind. pic.twitter.com/LrRaN8HuGD
- Speaking of Badgers plying their trade in Florida: Michael Dieter has been showing out for the Dolphins in training camp.
- Oh, what’s this? Just more Badgers representing their country at the national level. No big deal.
- Daily USF Bulls update:
K.J. Sails being eligible for the game is a big deal. The Badgers could potentially run a bunch of 4-WR sets so the Bulls will need all of the talent they can muster in the secondary. Sails is a transfer from UNC who was also a Badger recruit out of high school.
The Daily Stampede’s staff all thinks that USF CAN beat Wisconsin but they don’t really think that it WILL happen. That sounds about right to me too.
Jim Polzin’s predictions for the game on Friday gives UW the edge.
Jake and Jon McNamara at Rivals give you their 3 Cs before the game.
What will the USF offense look like under new OC Kerwin Bell? The Tampa Bay Times lets you know.
- Michigan transfer Oliver Martin has been cleared to play for Iowa this season.
- A breakdown of all the incoming players for Penn State men’s hockey.
- The Huskers are cracking down and have suspended two football players indefinitely.
- Here is the next part in the Michigan recruiting class analysis that Maize N’ Brew is doing. The 2016 class was Jim Harbaugh’s first full class as head coach.
- Minnesota opens up the season for the entire Big Ten against South Dakota State at 8 p.m. CT tonight. As the best team in the conference, the Gophers should have zero problem with the feisty FCS squad. Right?
- Rutgers has a...really awesome beer selection at their stadium!
Rutgers not only announced expanded beer and wine sales for football games this season but also sent along an SHI Stadium drinks list today. pic.twitter.com/60t7Cdl40P— Mark Wogenrich (@MarkWogenrich) August 28, 2019
- Lastly, thanks for making Bob’s day yesterday.
I'm starting to get haters, so I now feel validated as a sports writer.— Bob Wiedenhoeft (@rwiedenhoeft) August 28, 2019