Good morning! This is going to be a daily(ish) post that discusses the goings on of the rest of the Big Ten Conference, and the country as needed. Much like the European Union, the Big Ten is a loosely confederated group of entities that sometimes have the same goals (like free movement of people between countries or not winning national titles in football or basketball) and sometimes accept new members that they later regret (Estonia or Rutgers).
We hope that you will use this post to comment on things happening around the conference and also as a sort of daily open thread to discuss breaking news or argue about Spotted Cow.
- The Badgers received (publicly) good news on the recruiting front as 3-star Massachusetts TE Cam LARGE (pretty sure we have to start writing his last name in all caps) tweeted his commitment to Wisconsin on Tuesday evening. If you’ve been following along with fall camp, you’ll know that tight end is a position where the Badgers have suffered a few injuries and are lacking depth. With LARGE and Cole Dakovich in the 2020 class joining current freshmen Clay Cundiff and Hayden Rucci, that depth should be replenished.
- There is a new podcast out called Behind the Badgers.
There’s a new pod in town and it’s all about... well, us. @BehindBadgers brings unrivaled access and guests.... cue QB1.— Wisconsin Football (@BadgerFootball) August 27, 2019
Give it a listen https://t.co/uOgNucTbY5 pic.twitter.com/3XVrW3EgT4
Speaking of podcasts! You may have seen on twitter dot com that our Owen Riese has accepted a job on the UW-Whitewater football coaching staff this season. With that new gig he’ll obviously have less free time and that means he won’t be doing Bucky’s 5th Podcast as a host any longer.
Fear not, though, lover of listening to Badgers news in your car! Tyler and Matt are taking the pod over and have an episode in the hopper previewing the USF game. We are hoping to get that up Wednesday (today) for your listening pleasure. Thank you for being patient with us as we transition some stuff right before the season!
- I don’t think PFF College reads The Daily Gopher or else they’d know that no one in the B1G West has a chance against, at the very worst, an eight win Minnesota team.
Wisconsin has just about all the pieces necessary to return to the top of the B1G. pic.twitter.com/PUxubcHqjc— PFF College (@PFF_College) August 27, 2019
- Wisconsin players doing sweet offseason dunk videos is just like watching Ben Simmons do sweet offseason jump shooting videos. I’m impressed. I’m happy. But I know it isn’t going to mean anything come the regular season.
Is that...? Yes, yes it is...— Wisconsin Basketball (@BadgerMBB) August 28, 2019
Okay then, Kobe King!
Going on a Tuesday#OnWisconsin pic.twitter.com/M4fNhOuY3M
(I really hope this reverse jinx works!)
- The men’s soccer team opens up their season weekend in Madison!
It's a great weekend for Men's soccer! ⚽— Wisconsin Soccer (@BadgerMSoccer) August 28, 2019
Take note of the game change from original schedule! Badgers to play UAB on Sunday at 7 p.m. ➡️ admission for students w/ Wiscard. pic.twitter.com/Ip7n0aX3PV
The Badgers have three players on the conference preseason awards watch list, which we’ll have more on in our non-revenue sports roundup.
Dean Cowdroy, Noah Leibold and Robin Olofsson of @BadgerMSoccer named to the 2019 #B1GMSOC preseason honors list. pic.twitter.com/Yp8RLZ4q0P— Big Ten Soccer (@B1GSoccer) August 27, 2019
- A decent amount of Badgers in the Brewing Industry news on Tuesday!
Thanks, guys :) I’ve got a few cold ones waiting for you. See you at CRS this fall and remember... #DriveHomeSafely https://t.co/0aDYptTWfG— Mike Mahnke (@uwpaguy) August 27, 2019
Only Bars worth visiting in Madison pic.twitter.com/RmBqjBJVd4— Joe Thomas (@joethomas73) August 27, 2019
Can someone go try Joe Thomas’ new beer and give us a review in the comments? I’m very interested to hear how it tastes!
- A lot of Badgers on the men’s hockey team have already been drafted into the NHL, but freshman Dylan Holloway isn’t one of them...yet. The projected first round pick in this year’s draft talked to Madison.com’s Todd Milewski about this upcoming season and what it’s like playing major college hockey before he’s 18 (his birthday is in September).
- The men’s hockey team also debuted a new “behind the scenes” video series on Tuesday.
The Badgers are jump-starting their season with a trip to Vancouver.— Wisconsin Hockey (@BadgerMHockey) August 27, 2019
Check out the debut of our weekly behind the scenes look into Wisconsin hockey. pic.twitter.com/lgY58SctFh
With the team heading to Vancouver for two weekend exhibition games, this is a great time to see how the Badgers are preparing.
Just so it's out there, @BrockCaufield's day did get better after the rough start pic.twitter.com/TR0EX4ePCA— Brandon Spiegel (@BrandonSpiegel) August 27, 2019
Made it to Vancouver. @ShaneConnelly pictured with a perfect goalie statue!! @BadgerMHockey #Badgers pic.twitter.com/ssI64HVSP3— Mark Osiecki (@Osiecki24) August 27, 2019
- The women’s soccer home opener is on Thursday night versus Marquette.
Ready for the @BadgerWSoccer 2019 season with some familiar as well as new faces on the team. pic.twitter.com/eWHq9yDiBm— Dave Gaustad (@DavidGaustad) August 28, 2019
In-state bragging rights are on the line as well as a chance to get back in the win column after a tough 1-0 loss to No. 1 Florida State.
- The women’s basketball team, like the men’s team, also had their conference schedule announced last week.
✔️ your calendars!— Wisconsin Basketball (@BadgerWBB) August 23, 2019
Our entire 2019-20 schedule is set!
' ! pic.twitter.com/gAW62pOrAr
- USF Game Week links:
The Bulls will have a revamped offense on Friday.
There is a high possibility of a sellout for the game, contingent on the USF students filling up their 10,000 seat student section.
A nice profile on senior TE Mitchell Wilcox who will be getting a lot of looks from Blake Barnett on Friday.
B5Q’s opening preview of the Bulls from Matt Belz.
All of the AAC teams as menu items from Wendy’s!
- The commenters at Corn Nation are taking it well that Wisconsin was picked to finish ahead of them in volleyball this year.
- Thanks go out to Black Heart Gold Pants for producing the only Big Ten Power Rankings on the web!
- The People’s Guide to Rondale Moore. ::swoons::
- An interesting look at Michigan’s 2015 recruiting class, which Jim Harbaugh was tasked with piecing together after he was hired.
- With former Badger Kyle Penniston already in a walking boot, Rutgers did not need any more bad news on the TE injury front. Unfortunately, they got some.
- Maryland’s 7’2” freshman center Chol Mariol will undergo surgery for stress fractures in both legs and miss three to four months.
- Maryland volleyball preview.
- The Daily Gopher staff has gone completely off the rails. They are all in on this season. If Minnesota doesn’t win the B1G West this year they may just shut down the blog. Here are their division predictions, featuring Minnesota no lower than ::squints:: second in the division.