Good morning! This is going to be a daily(ish) post that discusses the goings on of the rest of the Big Ten Conference, and the country as needed. Much like the European Union, the Big Ten is a loosely confederated group of entities that sometimes have the same goals (like free movement of people between countries or not winning national titles in football or basketball) and sometimes accept new members that they later regret (Estonia or Rutgers).
We hope that you will use this post to comment on things happening around the conference and also as a sort of daily open thread to discuss breaking news or argue about Spotted Cow.
- We’ve got a depth chart for Week 1! Jack Coan is starting at quarterback. The defense is young and talented. Jonathan Taylor is starting at running back. Most importantly, the injury report is LIGHT on names.
Very light injury report for the #badgers entering game week. Luke Benzschawel is still out with a leg injury, Cade Green and Gabe Lloyd our for the season. But no one questionable. Big news for a team hit hard with injuries last season.— Matt Belz (@savedbythebelz) August 25, 2019
- Iowa beat reporter Scott Dochterman thinks Wisconsin is being overlooked. Better than being underlooked, I suppose.
The more I examine Wisconsin's depth chart, the more I realize the Badgers are being completely overlooked. https://t.co/R5ywFm5oh2— Scott Dochterman (@ScottDochterman) August 25, 2019
- The first GameDay of the season, at Disney, featured some Wisconsin fans who might not think the Badgers are being overlooked.
- Desmond Howard is being sent an offer by me to work at B5Q this year. He’s got the takes we need!
Desmond Howard has the Ducks as the No. 3 seed in the college football playoff pic.twitter.com/vdaLPbxvGA— Kevin Wade (@KwadeSays) August 24, 2019
- Maybe Madison Cone can help Melvin Gordon find a chicken sandwich?
What was even better than the Popeyes sandwich (which was OD hittin) was the people I spent that 30 minutes in the line wit waitin on our food... I’ll go wait another hour for some food to laugh like that again now that’s somethin you’ll prolly never see at Chic Fil A— Madison Cone (@Coney31island) August 24, 2019
- Highlights of the Red/White Volleyball Scrimmage on Saturday.
⚡️ Going into NEXT WEEK with this ENERGY ⚡️— Wisconsin Volleyball (@BadgerVB) August 24, 2019
Highlights from today's Red and White Scrimmage pic.twitter.com/JYayhW0zYu
Here is our 2018 season recap/2019 season preview of the volleyball team. And here is coach Kelly Sheffield’s first presser of the season.
Kelly Sheffield Press Conference— Wisconsin Volleyball (@BadgerVB) August 25, 2019
✅ Development over the first few practices
✅ Expectations for Florida State/North Carolina
✅ Experienced Roster
✅ Dana Rettke's growth over the summer
✅ Sydney Hilley's improvement since her Sophomore season pic.twitter.com/saY7OA5mjB
- The men’s hockey team had their first practice open to the media on Friday. Here’s how the power play units lined up.
Second had D Ty Emberson with a combination of F Tarek Baker, Dylan Holloway, Jack Gorniak, Ty Pelton-Byce and Max Zimmer.— Todd Milewski (@ToddMilewski) August 24, 2019
Not a very successful day in terms of putting the puck in the net for either group, but Turcotte called it a good first day of PP work.
Good write-up by Todd Milewski after the first practice on a team brimming with talent.
- The women’s soccer team split their two games in Florida over the weekend.
- Some quick Badgers in the NFL notes:
For the CBD fanatics: Montee Ball now has his own CBD line. here's his "press release" --> https://t.co/y1N5LXR3VC— RexFord (@Sheild92) August 24, 2019
Havenstein (LAR): DNP— Dave Heller (@dave_heller) August 25, 2019
Ramzcyk (NO): 19 snaps (23%), 2 ST snaps
Watt (HOU): 2 TKL, TFL; 9 snaps (10%)
Watt (LAC): 5 snaps (9%), 11 ST snaps
Wilson (SEA): 6-9, 73 yds; 3 rush, 31 yds; 29 snaps (39%)
— Joe Thomas (@joethomas73) August 26, 2019
- The Big Ten released the men’s basketball conference schedule on Friday and here is how it sets up for the Badgers.
- Penn State has their starting quarterback. Tommy Stevens was supposed to be the starter, but he transferred after spring practice. So, Sean Clifford it is!
- 3-star Florida RB has picked Nebraska. Perhaps insurance in case Sevion Morrison flips to Wisconsin this fall.
- Nebraska had their volleyball scrimmage this weekend too. Like the Badgers, they should also be good.
- A roundup of everything you’ll need to know about Northwestern going into the season.
- Desmond Howard may have Wisconsin in the CFP but he does not have Jonathan Taylor winning the Heisman this year. However, another B5Q (or maybe just mine) Favorite did make the cut.
- 4-star Missouri WR commits to Illinois. Crazy how hiring high school coaches of players you are recruiting helps you get them to commit! Crazy.