Good morning! This is going to be a daily(ish) post that discusses the goings on of the rest of the Big Ten Conference, and the country as needed. Much like the European Union, the Big Ten is a loosely confederated group of entities that sometimes have the same goals (like free movement of people between countries or not winning national titles in football or basketball) and sometimes accept new members that they later regret (Estonia or Rutgers).
We hope that you will use this post to comment on things happening around the conference and also as a sort of daily open thread to discuss breaking news or argue about Spotted Cow.
- The Wisconsin men’s hockey team looks to have secured the services of another USNTDP goalie. As Todd mentions, there will be playing time to be had in two years between the pipes.
Word is that Rowe will be playing for Des Moines in the USHL this season and then joining the #Badgers, who are scheduled to lose senior goalies Jack Berry and Johan Blomquist after the upcoming season. UW also has NTDP goalie Noah Grannan committed. https://t.co/kuxoKZnPEp— Todd Milewski (@ToddMilewski) July 28, 2019
- Defensive zone draws are very important, if continually losing to my roommates in NHL 08 taught me anything.
Here's something that Wisconsin Badger fans are going to get very accustomed to seeing.— Stars n’ Stripes Hockey (@StarsStripesHKY) July 27, 2019
Owen Lindmark with a clean face-off win in the defensive zone. #FlaPanthers #Badgers #NTDP pic.twitter.com/dkiqSkDk9u
- The Big Ten was all over this list, but the cowards wouldn’t actually rank the top-10 arenas in which to watch volleyball.
We know where No. 1 is though.
- There is a bright future ahead for the Badgers softball team, but this year’s team may struggle to live up to last year’s offensive performance.
This .— Wisconsin Softball (@BadgerSoftball) July 26, 2019
Lots of school records belong to these Badgers! pic.twitter.com/LYrOSwUUze
- Former Badgers nose tackle, Olive Sagapolu, was signed by the Green Bay Packers on Friday!
I know he got hurt during his senior season and that’s the reason he went undrafted but I can’t believe it took this long for some team to take a chance on him. Sagapolu could be an extremely underrated signing for the Packers.
Sagapolu’s addition also means 9 of Wisconsin’s 11 starters on defense in 2017 are now on NFL rosters.— Zach Heilprin (@ZachHeilprin) July 26, 2019
- While mired in a holdout at least Melvin Gordon is getting some love from the NFL Top-100 heading into the season.
- I had legitimately forgotten about Dontye Carriere-Williams until I stumbled across this tweet.
I hope he has a good season at Vanderbilt and it’s a bummer he wasn’t really shown on Last Chance U.
- The Badgers have made a new basketball offer in the 2020 class.
Angel is a 6’7” and 200-pound small forward out of Encinitas, Calif. He has offers from Cal, Stanford, Washington State, Boston University and a number of Ivy League schools which proves that location probably won’t be the deciding factor in his recruitment.
He is rated as a three-star prospect on Rivals but isn’t rated on 247 yet. There is one Crystal Ball prediction for him to Stanford on 247 although it would appear that his recruitment is still very much in the nascent stage.
- I mean, duh.
- In-state linebacker joins the Hawkeyes for the 2021 class.
- Purdue got a verbal commitment from a 2020 prospect that runs a 4.29 40-yard dash! His last name is also Moore!! AND HE PLAYS SLOT RECEIVER!!! I’m already in love with this kid. Rondale Moore 2.0 indeed.
- Playing the world’s smallest violin for recruiting heartache at Ohio freaking State.
Two RBs (one four-star and one five-star) had been considered locks for OSU until this morning. They're both planning to announce their commitments this week.— Land-Grant Holy Land (@Landgrant33) July 28, 2019
Losing out on both, when they were widely considered signed & sealed, is probably the definition of a not good morning. https://t.co/TisuG2s84o
- A 4-star safety from New Jersey, who will also be playing baseball, verbally pledged to Michigan over the weekend.
- Jack Del Rio, not the former Jaguars coach, is going to play linebacker at Rutgers!
- Maryland started their 2021 class off with a 3-star in-state RB/DB.
- Illinois just beat Alabama in a recruiting battle for a 4-star QB. ::double checks notes:: Yup, that’s a true statement!
- Five burning questions for MSU’s basketball season.
- Indiana keeps one of the state’s top talents home for basketball.