Good morning! This is going to be a daily(ish) post that discusses the goings on of the rest of the Big Ten Conference, and the country as needed. Much like the European Union, the Big Ten is a loosely confederated group of entities that sometimes have the same goals (like free movement of people between countries or not winning national titles in football or basketball) and sometimes accept new members that they later regret (Estonia or Rutgers).
We hope that you will use this post to comment on things happening around the conference and also as a sort of daily open thread to discuss breaking news or argue about Spotted Cow.
- Former Badgers linebacker Skyler Meyers decided to enter the transfer portal on Tuesday. He is a true freshman and had only been on campus a few weeks. Scant details are known outside of the ones I just typed. We wish him well at his next school.
- I was able to chat with 2021 quarterback commit Deacon Hill about his decision to pick Wisconsin and whether or not he’s mad at Wake Forest.
- All-world left tackle Joe Thomas is being inducted into the UW Athletics Hall of Fame.
Another for @joethomas73's resume:— Wisconsin Football (@BadgerFootball) June 26, 2019
▪️ 2x All-American
▪️ 3x All-Big Ten
▪️ Outland Trophy
▪️ 3rd overall pick 2007 NFL Draft
▪️ 11-year NFL career
▪️ 10 NFL Pro Bowls
▪️ College Football Hall of Fame
▪️ UW Athletic Hall of Fame
Congrats to the https://t.co/unzAEPYvWJ
This is what the kids like to call a “no brainer.”
- The Big Ten Medal of Honor winners were announced. I do not know what the Big Ten Medal of Honor is, but press releases are a writer’s best friend!
The Big Ten Medal of Honor is awarded to one male and one female student from the graduating class of each member institution who has demonstrated excellence on and off the field throughout their college career.
Sounds prestigious! D’Cota Dixon of the football team won from the men’s side and from the women’s side?
A Patty Kazmaier finalist and a Hockey Humanitarian Award finalist, Pankowski was also named the #Badgers @BigTen Medal of Honor recipient pic.twitter.com/G6h5kUmkGy— Wisconsin Hockey (@BadgerWHockey) June 26, 2019
- Iowa has the highest ranked recruiting class of 2022 due to their one (1) commitment for that year.
- Purdue stole a linebacker recruit from Temple. WHAT THE HELL HAS PHILADELPHIA EVER DONE TO YOU, PURDUE?!?!?
- I honestly didn’t know that Northwestern had any scholarship players on their basketball team. Here are some walk-ons that will be joining the team this year.
- A highly touted 2021 offensive lineman that recently visited Madison decided to stay home and attend Ohio State.
- Here’s a quick reset of Maryland’s 2020 recruiting board.
- Michigan’s wild run to the College World Series final ended in sadness.
Michigan Baseball’s unprecedented run came to a disappointing end Wednesday as Vanderbilt sank Michigan 8-2 in the College World Series Championship Game. @ByJaySarkar recaps a tough ending in Omaha for a special @umichbaseball team. https://t.co/YeL8i3pbyM— Maize n Brew (@MaizenBrew) June 27, 2019
Still! Good for the B1G!