clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Wisconsin falls at Indiana in 75-73 double overtime loss

New, comments

Missed free throws loom huge in the final extra period.

NCAA Basketball: Wisconsin at Indiana Brian Spurlock-USA TODAY Sports

The Indiana Hoosiers snapped a five-game losing streak on Tuesday night, taking down the No. 19 Wisconsin Badgers in a 75-73 double overtime contest inside Assembly Hall.

With about 0.8 seconds remaining, Romeo Langford went to his right and made the game-winning layup. He scored a team-high 22 points with seven rebounds in the win for Indiana (14-14, 5-12 Big Ten).

Before fouling out, redshirt senior forward Ethan Happ recorded a game-high 23 points with 11 rebounds and four assists, and senior guard/forward Khalil Iverson scored 15 points on 7-of-11 shooting with three rebounds for Wisconsin (19-9, 11-6). Though redshirt sophomore guard D’Mitrik Trice shot poorly from the field—2-of-9 from the field, 2-of-7 from three-point range—he contributed 12 points, mainly due to his 6-of-9 shooting from the free throw line.

Wisconsin contained Indiana to just 40.6 percent shooting—30 percent from deep—but connected on just 39.1 percent of their own attempts from the field for the evening. That included a frigid 27.3 percent (six of 22) from three-point range.

Again, free throw problems were prevalent for the Badgers as they made just 13 of 25 from the line (52 percent)—including a rough five of 11 in the second overtime.

Sophomores Brad Davison and Nate Reuvers combined for only 10 points and made just four of 21 from the field—one of 10 from three-point range.

UW contained forward Juwan Morgan to nine points and 15 rebounds before he fouled out, but Indiana also saw contributions from Rob Phinisee (11 points, four rebounds, four assists) and Aljami Durham (11 points before fouling out) in the win.

Again dealing with first half deficit, Wisconsin fought back from eight down to make it a 33-29 contest The Badgers received big performances from Iverson and Happ in the first half with 12 and 10 points, respectively. Happ started off hot with making his first four shots before ending the half shooting 4-of-9 overall.

Iverson made six of seven attempts in the first half, but the team as a whole shot 13-of-33 (39.4 percent)—including just one of nine from three-point range. The Hoosiers made six of 14 from deep and 13 of 28 shots (46.4 percent) overall in the first 20 minutes.

Indiana extended its lead by as much as 13 points after a De’Ron Davis free throw with 12:40 remaining, but Wisconsin proceeded to regain the lead with a 20-3 run.

Three-pointers by Aleem Ford and Trice started and capped off the run, respectively, and the Badgers made four from deep in that run.

Indiana responded with a 5-0 run of its own to take the lead, and a key foul may have turned the tide late in regulation. Going for a defensive rebound, Happ elbowed Morgan, which officials deemed via replay as a Flagrant 1 foul. Langford hit both corresponding free throws, and with the Hoosiers getting the ball for the possession, Davis was fouled and hit one of two free throws to give IU the lead at 55-54 with five minutes remaining.

The teams kept it close for the rest of the contest. With under a minute remaining, Davison’s turnover led to Indiana ball. The Hoosiers called a timeout with 30.8 seconds remaining, and towards the end of the shot clock, Phinisee drove and made a layup with about nine seconds remaining.

Trice then drew a foul and went to the line—making both free throws—to tie the game up at 62-62. Phinisee’s last second three-pointer was off, and the teams went to overtime.

The teams again kept it close with no team gaining a lead of more than one point for over four minutes of the extra period. Down 66-65, Davison missed a wide open three off a timeout with about 45 seconds remaining.

With 20 seconds left in that period, Langford drove and made a layup to give Indiana a three-point lead.

Though shooting poorly on Tuesday night, Trice came through with a clutch three from the top of the key with 15 seconds remaining to tie it at 68-68. With about two seconds remaining, Durham missed a very deep three that sent it to double overtime.

Wisconsin was simply atrocious from the free throw line in the second extra period and nullified any opportunity to grab the lead. The Badgers missed their first five attempts from the line and six of those 11 opportunities in those final five minutes.

With the entire second overtime being a one-possession contest, each free throw could have drastically changed the contest. Trice and Happ both missed their two attempts each early on in the extra frame that would have given Wisconsin the lead before Langford’s jumper with 2:16 remaining.

Reuvers made one of two free throws to cut the deficit to 70-69 at the 2:01 mark. After Langford connected on just one of his two attempts from the line, Durham fouled Trice that gave the guard a chance to tie. Like Reuvers, the guard just made one of two that allowed Indiana to hold on to its 71-70 advantage with 1:37 remaining.

The next two possessions for Wisconsin showed promise for points, but both Happ and Iverson missed opportunities from close range. After Iverson’s miss, Phinisee found Davis for a layup and “and-one” opportunity with about 15 seconds left in double OT.

However, Wisconsin was not yet done, as Davis missed the ensuing free throw. On the Badgers’ next possession, Trice drew a foul on Devonte Green from beyond the arc, and again under pressure, made all three clutch free throws to tie it up at 73-73.

On Indiana’s last possession, Langford took it to his right and made a layup with 0.8 seconds remaining—clinching the win. Reuvers could not handle Davison’s pass, and the Hoosiers escaped with the victory.