Good morning! This is going to be a daily(ish) post that discusses the goings on of the rest of the Big Ten Conference, and the country as needed. Much like the European Union, the Big Ten is a loosely confederated group of entities that sometimes have the same goals (like free movement of people between countries or not winning national titles in football or basketball) and sometimes accept new members that they later regret (Estonia or Rutgers).
We hope that you will use this post to comment on things happening around the conference and also as a sort of daily open thread to discuss breaking news or argue about Spotted Cow.
Cole Caufield (MTL) wins it in overtime.... there he is.— Chris Peters (@chrismpeters) December 30, 2019
The Americans, already having lost to Canada, needed to beat the hosts (the Czech Republic) to solidify their standing in the Group of Death in the World Junior Championship. Thanks to the Stevens Point native, they did.
USA earns a 4-3 win, but the Czechs secure a crucial point to move ahead of Germany in the standings. What a fun game. Seriously, one of the best environments I've ever experience. Cole Caufield (MTL) finally rewarded for his best game yet. Alex Turcotte (LAK) with the great pass— Chris Peters (@chrismpeters) December 30, 2019
AND THE ASSIST FROM FELLOW BADGER ALEX TURCOTTE! OHHHHH YOU LOVE TO SEE IT!
Cole Caufield with the give-and-go to win it for USA in OT pic.twitter.com/cRBBuLTJUh— Pete Blackburn (@PeteBlackburn) December 30, 2019
Here is the full play where you’ll note that Caufield and Turcotte were joined on the ice by K’Andre Miller who ALSO PLAYS FOR THE BADGERS! WE ARE AMERICA’S TEAM!
- Hopefully the didn’t spill any Ace on their sick J’s. (If my wife is reading this, that’s a reference to a rap lyric.)
- The volleyball team lending the football team some of their championship energy. That’s nice of them.
- Michael Finley looking like he could still lace em up.
- Uh-oh, did the Badges wrestling social media person have a stroke?
SETH GROSS— Wisconsin Wrestling (@BadgerWrestling) December 31, 2019
Ohhhh, no stroke, just Seth Gross just winning his weight class at the Midland Championships! By beating No. 1!!!! This was the first time a Badger had won at Midlands since 2010.
- I had been reading these breakdowns on /r/CFB for the last few years and didn’t realize that the person who did them now write for Addicted to Quack! Anyways, these are some of the best write ups you’ll see on Oregon opponents and now there’s one for the Badgers.
- Bob Diaco was hired to be Purdue’s new defensive coordinator.
- The B1G has five teams in the NET top-25 through Dec. 30th. The Badgers are, maybe surprisingly, ranked No. 31.
- A 3-star 2021 TE from Colorado joins the Buckeyes.
- Thankfully Wisconsin is only on the list of top-10 Rutgers basketball wins of the decade once.
- MSU CB Josiah Scott is entering the NFL Draft. So is OSU RB J.K. Dobbins.
I will forever be a buckeye! ❤️ pic.twitter.com/5TFhsPto9l— Jk dobbins (@Jkdobbins22) December 30, 2019
- Illinois may have lost the Redbox Bowl to Cal, but Brandon Peters endeared himself to the Illini faithful forever with this equal parts meaningless and meaninful dive to get a first down.