Good morning! This is going to be a daily(ish) post that discusses the goings on of the rest of the Big Ten Conference, and the country as needed. Much like the European Union, the Big Ten is a loosely confederated group of entities that sometimes have the same goals (like free movement of people between countries or not winning national titles in football or basketball) and sometimes accept new members that they later regret (Estonia or Rutgers).
We hope that you will use this post to comment on things happening around the conference and also as a sort of daily open thread to discuss breaking news or argue about Spotted Cow.
- Gonna need some of these t-shirts sent to the B5Q offices.
Interrupting practice to bring you this glorious picture: pic.twitter.com/00nosVhdK6— Wisconsin Football (@BadgerFootball) December 27, 2019
- It’s nice to see Jake doing a takeover of the official football Twitter account.
We know about that Coan Zone pic.twitter.com/j2g8xGHF33— Wisconsin Football (@BadgerFootball) December 27, 2019
- New preferred walk-on for the women’s hoops team is a local kid.
- The Badgers lost a heart breaker to Rutgers at the Kohl Center over the weekend.
- Brevin Pritzl was huge off the bench against Tennessee on Saturday.
Pritzl stopped a run of four empty possessions with a three-point play. He stopped another run of four empty possessions with a 3-pointer.— Jim Polzin (@JimPolzinWSJ) December 28, 2019
- The bottom-five here are Alaska, Vermont, Maine, Minnesota and Wisconsin.
States with the highest percentage of their high school football players recruited by a Division I school:— NCAA Research (@NCAAResearch) December 28, 2019
5. South Carolina
[Updated Nov 2019] pic.twitter.com/1JNikMqCS8
I understand the first three...there just aren’t that many kids playing high school football in those states and of those few kids, even fewer are being recruited. But for Minnesota and Wisconsin, two states I’ve lived in, to be in the bottom five is a little shocking. I think, and correct me if I’m wrong, this means that high school football players in Minnesota and Wisconsin are being undervalued. There are good players up here, good enough to build the two best teams in the B1G West this year, but other schools aren’t offering kids in the two states. Maybe that’s why Wisconsin is always able to get such useful contributors out of the walk-on program...maybe I should shut up about all this!
- Zack Baun is getting a lot of NFL Draft hype. I hope he has a big game against Oregon because that could catapult him into the second day of the draft.
Wisconsin EDGE and Senior Bowler Zack Baun is probably the player who has exceeded my expectations most on final film review.— Benjamin Solak (@BenjaminSolak) December 28, 2019
Bend isn't great, but when you can soften rush angles and force OTs into recovery position as quickly as Baun does, you don't need elite bend!
- Are the Badgers back on the NCAA Tournament bubble? Who know?!? But, it’s exciting that they could go on the road and actually win a game!
20-point true road wins against top-50 Kenpom teams so far this year:— Bart T rvik (@totally_t_bomb) December 28, 2019
Ohio State over North Carolina
Wisconsin over Tennessee
- Team USA bounced back from losing to Canada and beat Russia (who beat Canada). I’m assuming it’s because of the Alex Turcotte and Cole Caufield reunion. Caufield did have an assist on the first goal of the game soooo, not entirely untrue!
USA's lines against Russia confirm the Turcotte-Caufield reunion. Zegras and Kaliyev together. D pairs are the same and Spencer Knight gets the start. pic.twitter.com/3Xiv5sJeSF— Chris Peters (@chrismpeters) December 29, 2019
Most lively game of the tournament for Alex Turcotte (LAK) so far. He's playing with jump, competing on every puck and making smart plays when he has it. Speed has been a factor.— Chris Peters (@chrismpeters) December 29, 2019
- Speaking of the men’s hockey team, they’re back in action on New Year’s Day with an exhibition contest.
Owen Lindmark (@lindy2201), @InamotoTyler and @sean_dhooghe are all coming back to Plymouth! @BadgerMHockey faces off with the U18s on January 1st to start the New Year— USA Hockey’s NTDP (@USAHockeyNTDP) December 29, 2019
Celebrate with us: https://t.co/D9Yb1c8WqS pic.twitter.com/IIrWX2Afl6
- And finally, in regards to the men’s hockey team, they got a new commit over the weekend.
Super excited to announce my commitment to play hockey at the University of Wisconsin. I would like to thank my family, friends, coaches, teammates and everyone else who helped me reach this point. #OnWisconsin pic.twitter.com/rYyRaAWnrx— Brayden Morrison (@MoBrayden) December 30, 2019
- It’s crazy that’s there is only one song about the boys being back in town.
Mood when the boys are back in town pic.twitter.com/2B00PBbtE5— Mekenzie Steffen (@MekenzieSteffen) December 29, 2019
- The Packers are 2-0 against the Lions this year and have led for zero seconds against them (lolololol) and the Badgers owned the state of Michigan as well this season so, without further ado:
- Can you imagine Pat Fitzgerald coaching an NFL team?!?!?! Now that would be a team that Alabama could beat, I bet.
Northwestern went 3-9 this year and finished 126th of 130 FBS teams in offense and TURNED DOWN an NFL interview https://t.co/wT1Xsd1zDW— Rodger Sherman (@rodger) December 28, 2019
- The first Q&A that we did for Addicted to Quack about the Rose Bowl can be found right here.
- Iowa stomped Southern Cal in the Holiday Bowl and then OT Alaric Jackson announced he was returning for his senior season.
- Penn State beat Memphis in a wild, high-scoring Cotton Bowl. Here are the position grades for the Nittany Lions.
- Top-10 Purdue basketball players of the decade. For some reason, Purdue basketball makes me irrationally angry so this list was tough to get through. Thoughts and prayers for me, please.
- Northwestern lost to Hartford. In men’s basketball. At home. Yikes.
- Ohio State just can’t beat Clemson in the CFP. You hate to see it.
- Michigan junior froward Isaiah Livers is out indefinitely with a groin injury. Who has to step up?
- Freshmen Makhi Mitchell and Makhel Mitchell have entered the transfer portal and left the Maryland basketball team.
- 12 sentence recap of the Illinois football season.
- The Gophers men’s hockey team won an all-Minnesota edition of the Mariucci Classic.
B1G basketball scoreboard from over the weekend (losses in bold because we are here to laugh at misfortune):
Central Michigan 62 - Purdue 97
FIU 62 - Minnesota 89
Bryant 70 - No. 13 Maryland 84
No. 22 West Virginia 67 - No. 2 Ohio State 59
Cornell (ever heard of it?) 59 - No. 20 Penn State 90
UMass-Lowell 60 - No. 11 Michigan 86
North Carolina A&T 64 - Illinois 95
Texas A&M Corpus Christi 52 - Nebraska 73
Kennesaw State 51 - No. 25 Iowa 93
Hartford 67 - Northwestern 66
Arkansas 71 - Indiana 64
Western Michigan 62 - No. 14 Michigan State 95