Recruiting is the lifeblood of any major college athletics team, but following it closely as a fan can sometimes be difficult and can often be time consuming. We’ll try and condense all the recruiting news you can use into this bi-weekly post. It’ll include updates on current commits, including stats from their high school games, as well as news on players the Badgers are still pursuing. Let’s get down to business!
Football recruits doing big things
- Following the Saint Louis Crusaders season this year was exciting due to how many major FBS recruits they had on their team. Predictably, I suppose, they won their fourth straight state title going away and now 4-star LB Nick Herbig can move his focus to Madison.
The dynasty continues. Saint Louis runs away with their 4th straight state title taking down Kahuku 45-6. This senior class was special. Big things coming at the next level. @Trilllroman @jayden_delaura @Jordanbotelho_ @nickherbig_ @Koali_Nishigaya @15Latu @stan_mckenzie94 pic.twitter.com/0ttfnPbP0A— Cody Krupp (@CodyWKrupp) November 30, 2019
He’s already got his W hand sign down. Get the kid on campus already!
Alright @UWBadgers @BadgerFootball -- @nickherbig_ 's done killing it on the Island now the beast is all yours. You're getting a good one. Can't wait to watch this dude do his thing in Camp Randall. @lanceveeser @WiscoRecruiting @TheBadgerNation @CoachGebhardt pic.twitter.com/FV5u8yKU0w— Cody Krupp (@CodyWKrupp) November 30, 2019
- 2021 3-star QB Deacon Hill (Santa Barbara, Calif.) took his team all the way to the state title game but came up short on their historic run. The Dons hadn’t been to the playoffs, let alone the state finals, in decades before this year.
To my brothers,I know it hurts.I know your blaming yourself as am https://t.co/W5nXADlcVa is my life and it’s been a privilege to have play with you guys this season. Seniors, there’s not much I can say besides how proud I am of y’all.Y’all are my brothers. I love y’all❤️✊ pic.twitter.com/QskDOaPY5y— Deacon Pe’a Hill (@dhillsb10) December 1, 2019
Hill put up some impressive numbers and will be looking to carry this momentum into his senior season.
- 2020 3-star LB Malik Reed (Chandler, Ariz.) is also in the state finals and Chandler’s matchup against Saguaro is basically the Super Bowl of Arizona prep football. Should be a dandy on Saturday.
Basketball recruits doing big things
- 2020 PWO Carter Gilmore (Hartland) of Arrowhead High School whupped up on Milwaukee Madison in their first game of the season, scoring 29 points on a variety of drives to the basket and shots from outside.
Gilmore is, and I know I’ve said this before, going to be a real steal in the Badgers 2020 recruiting class.
- 2020 4-star PF Ben Carlson (Saint Paul, Minn.) had a nice outing in the Big 12 Classic, a season-opening festival of basketball in Minnesota.
While his East Ridge team fell to Prior Lake, and 247 Composite 4-star Marquette commit Dawson Garcia, Carlson still had a nice game and showed a nice ability to score from multiple levels and finish through contact.
Prior Lake (76) over East Ridge (60) in the Breakdown Big 12 Classic. Prior Lake Dawson Garcia 30pts, Tyree Ihenacho 12 pts, malcom Jones 21pts East Ridge - Kendall blue 19pts, Ben Carlson (19pts). #HoopStarsMedia - Garcia and company too much tonight pic.twitter.com/dzS9Asvd6H— HoopStarsMedia (@HoopStarsMedia) December 1, 2019
Here is a link to the full game recap if you wanted to check out Garcia as well.
- 2020 3-star C Steven Crowl (Saint Paul, Minn.) had a monster game for Eastview in the same tournament that Carlson played in.
Eastview dominated Camplin Park and Crowl led the way with a 28 point and 17 rebound double-double. Crowl protected the rim, passed out of double teams and even showed off a stroke from beyond the arc.
Game 6 of the @BreakdownUSA Big 12 Classic:— Jared Martinson (@JaredNHR) December 1, 2019
Eastview 85, Champlin Park 52
Player of the game: Eastview's Steven Crowl with 28 points and 17 rebounds.@RyanJamesMN @KeslerDean @NorthstarHoops @MSHSLjohn @PioneerPress @mnbasketballhub @mnwarriorsgoetz @EVBoysHoops pic.twitter.com/bQSlMendDD
- 2020 4-star Minneapolis LB Kaden Johnson (Minnehaha Academy) received three Crystal Balls to Nebraska on Monday. That’s disappointing...but at least it wasn’t for Minnesota!
- 2020 4-star New Jersey RB Jalen Berger (Don Bosco Prep) will “be taking his recruitment the distance.” What that means for the Badgers, well, it’s hard to say but with Rutgers hiring Greg Schiano I’d wager that Berger stays home.