Good morning! This is going to be a daily(ish) post that discusses the goings on of the rest of the Big Ten Conference, and the country as needed. Much like the European Union, the Big Ten is a loosely confederated group of entities that sometimes have the same goals (like free movement of people between countries or not winning national titles in football or basketball) and sometimes accept new members that they later regret (Estonia or Rutgers).
We hope that you will use this post to comment on things happening around the conference and also as a sort of daily open thread to discuss breaking news or argue about Spotted Cow.
- Don’t take a sip of your morning coffee and then look at this picture or you’ll ruin your computer screen.
- Former B5Q Tall Adult Son Curt Hogg had some time on his hands on Monday, apparently.
Alright apparently not everyone has a weird photographic memory of what every UW quarterback looked like, so I added names and years to make things easier. pic.twitter.com/FwRD3oxlkk— Curt Hogg (@CyrtHogg) December 2, 2019
Man, Wisconsin really let Joel Stave sling it in 2015, huh?
- Preseason predictions are fun!
Worth noting that in the Big Ten preseason media poll Ohio State was picked No. 2 in the East behind Michigan and the #Badgers were No. 3 in the West behind Nebraska and Iowa.— Jeff Potrykus (@jaypo1961) December 2, 2019
I even went back to find our preseason prediction roundtable and, at the risk of alienating the rest of the staff, here’s what the picked!
Bob had Northwestern vs. Michigan in the B1G title game (and picked Ohio State third in the East!), Rock had Wisconsin vs. Michigan but also mentioned later that he was trying to jinx the Wolverines, Belz had Nebraska and Wisconsin tied for the West crown and Ohio State winning the East and Tyler had Michigan vs. Wisconsin.
Midway through the season we asked who would make the conference title game again and Bob went with Wisconsin and Ohio State, so did I, Ryan went with Wisconsin and Penn State and Tyler in AN EXTREMELY BOLD MOVE SAID THIS, AND I QUOTE, “My preseason prediction hasn’t changed a bit, tOSU and Wisconsin.” THAT WASN’T HIS PRESEASON PREDICTION!!!!! I do love the chutzpah, however.
Btw, Bob’s midseason CFP prediction is looking pretty, pretty good rn. He was the only one of us who didn’t pick Alabama.
- Sometimes I wonder what it’s like to cheer for a hockey team that doesn’t score an insane amount of goals. I don’t wonder for very long.
- Here’s a team I cheer for that gives up a lot of goals, so it’s kinda the same thing.
In each of the first three seasons under coach Tony Granato, the #Badgers were one game over .500 at the break. They're 7-8-1 with only games at Michigan State left in 2019 — not quite what many expected from this season. More in today's notes:https://t.co/MOhTLGftig— Todd Milewski (@ToddMilewski) December 2, 2019
- A big honor for freshman forward Dylan Holloway.
- Their season may have ended earlier than they would’ve liked, but hopefully a few awards will ease the pain.
Also congrats to Cammie on earning a spot on the third team! pic.twitter.com/7uKvv38JdZ— Wisconsin Soccer (@BadgerWSoccer) December 2, 2019
- The ACC/B1G Challenge started on Monday night. Can you just feel the excitement before the Badgers take on N.C. State?!?!
I just charted 44 misses from 3-point range over two games. How was your Monday morning?— Jim Polzin (@JimPolzinWSJ) December 2, 2019
- God damn these videos have been great all season.
About last night.... pic.twitter.com/PBwaaS6fB7— Wisconsin Football (@BadgerFootball) December 1, 2019
- I just wanted to bring this tweet to everyone’s attention.
- Here’s a handy guide to the ACC/B1G Challenge from Corn Nation.
- We here in Wisconsin often bitch about the Badgers always being pretty good but never great. Just think if we were Iowa!
- In more bad news for Rutgers, QB Artur Sitkowski has removed his name from the TRANSFER PORTAL and will return to the Scarlet Knights.
- Michigan football exhausts ALL OF US, Charles Woodson.
- Land-Grant Holy Land brings up an excellent point: everyone sucks in college hoops this year. March should be a blast this year!
- Who will Pat Fitzgerald hire to be his new offensive coordinator? I hope it’s someone who doesn’t know how to use a computer.
- The Gophers nabbed a commitment from a 3-star 2020 WR out of Florida. That now gives them six WRs in the class.
- I like the crew at The Daily Gopher. They are funny and smart and like to talk shit. I’m happy that they’re kinda sad right now though.
ACC/B1G Challenge basketball scoreboard from last night (losses in bold because we are here to laugh at misfortune):
Illinois 79 - Miami 81
Minnesota 78 - Clemson 60
B1G 1 - ACC 1