Good morning! This is going to be a daily(ish) post that discusses the goings on of the rest of the Big Ten Conference, and the country as needed. Much like the European Union, the Big Ten is a loosely confederated group of entities that sometimes have the same goals (like free movement of people between countries or not winning national titles in football or basketball) and sometimes accept new members that they later regret (Estonia or Rutgers).
We hope that you will use this post to comment on things happening around the conference and also as a sort of daily open thread to discuss breaking news or argue about Spotted Cow.
- Just to keep y’all in the loop, we here at B5Q will not be posting much on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day (unless something crazy happens like Paul Chryst saying he’s not going to run the ball during the Rose Bowl) so we can enjoy time with our friends and family.
- To get your holiday week started off right, here’s a glorious Outback Bowl memory featuring our Brazilian baby boy.
- He is by no means a recent example of this, but I think people forget that Michael Finely went to Wisconsin and then had a great NBA career. Man, the Badgers could really use someone making the NBA and playing well to help with recruiting.
Anyways, congrats to Finley and Bo Ryan!
- I wish Paul Chryst celebrated touchdowns like Chris Bono celebrates pins.
- Joe Pavelski has been fun to watch both in the NHL and when he dons the USA sweater for international competitions.
- Stanford may have beaten Wisconsin on the court but I bet none of the Cardinal players made the Academic All-B1G team.
- Chris Orr is the smiliest dude that would also break all of my ribs if he were to ever tackle me. I hope it doesn’t come to that.
This time of year has been beyond busy for Wisconsin's Chris Orr.— George Balekji NBC15 (@GeorgeBalekji) December 20, 2019
Graduating with his masters degree, preparing for the Rose Bowl, but above all, getting engaged.
So how did those nerves compare for @Chris_Guwap ? pic.twitter.com/DHnf9RlVPi
- Khalil Iverson just keeps dunking basketball awesomely. It would be cool to see him in the NBA.
- I mean, now that I’ve gotten a good look at it...I don’t even want Wisconsin to win this trophy.
Thought it would look nicer. pic.twitter.com/rFIGrHcvkE— Dennis Punzel (@DennisPunzel) December 21, 2019
- I’m pretty sure you aren’t allowed to play in an NFL game in the nude so No. 41 from the Texans is going to need to put his clothes back on after being undressed by Dare Ogunbowale.
- IS HE ALLOWED TO BE ON THE COURT NOW, NCAA????
Checking in for Wisconsin:— Wisconsin Basketball (@BadgerMBB) December 21, 2019
- That’s “NFC East leading Philadelphia Eagles” to you, Dave.
Eagles DC Jim Schwartz on former #Badgers LB TJ Edwards: "The biggest thing with him, he played big-time college football. He was a productive player at Wisconsin. He wasn’t a drafted player, but when you watch him out there, he doesn’t look out of place ...— Dave Heller (@dave_heller) December 22, 2019
- Michigan in a familiar position for the decade rankings.
- OH CAPTAIN, MY CAPTAIN!
K’Andre Miller wore the C for Team USA’s first #WorldJuniors exhibition game tonight. Head coach Scott Sandelin said it wasn’t official, but he liked the way it looked. #NYR #badgers #playlikeanewyorker #nhl #usawjc— Julie Robenhymer (@JulieRobenhymer) December 22, 2019
And then Miller scores a goal to help the USA come back and win!
- The more Badgers in the Olympics the better imo.
- The Badgers beat Prairie View A&M over the weekend to improve to 8-3 on the season and remain undefeated at home.
- The Minnesota/Iowa football game is now scheduled for a Friday this coming season. Friday B1G football games are stupid. I can at least kind of understand a dumb non-conference game being moved to a Friday but a rivalry intra-division game? C’mon.
- Nebraska is losing a top volleyball assistant to the Ole Miss head coaching job.
- Purdue is losing players to the TRANSFER PORTAL left and right it seems. This most recent loss is a big one though.
- Everyone thought MSU was going to run away with the B1G basketball title this year. Apparently no one told OSU who just beat Kentucky.
- Michigan hoops may be shorthanded moving forward.
- How did Maryland flip a 5-star WR from LSU? Here’s your answer!
- Minnesota gets a verbal from an in-state 2021 DE.
- Tom Allen at IU was the best value head coach of any Power 5 school.
- Illinois loses Braggin’ Rights to Mizzou again.
B1G basketball scoreboard from over the last weekend (losses in bold because we are here to laugh at misfortune):
Central Connecticut State 58 - No. 23 Penn State 87
Presbyterian 44 - No. 14 Michigan 86
Notre Dame 60 - Indiana 62
Illinois 56 - Missouri 63
Purdue 61 - No. 17 Butler 70
Minnesota 86 - Oklahoma State 66
No. 6 Kentucky 65 - No. 5 Ohio State 71
North Dakota 75 - Nebraska 74
Eastern Michigan 48 - No. 15 Michigan State 101
Northwestern 78 - DePaul 83
Cincinnati 70 - Iowa 77
Lafayette 44 - Rutgers 63