Good morning! This is going to be a daily(ish) post that discusses the goings on of the rest of the Big Ten Conference, and the country as needed. Much like the European Union, the Big Ten is a loosely confederated group of entities that sometimes have the same goals (like free movement of people between countries or not winning national titles in football or basketball) and sometimes accept new members that they later regret (Estonia or Rutgers).
We hope that you will use this post to comment on things happening around the conference and also as a sort of daily open thread to discuss breaking news or argue about Spotted Cow.
- The Badgers won both of their games in Nashville over the weekend, beating Harvard and Boston College in successive days.
Really twisting the knife against her old team.
- Happier times in Happy Valley for the Badgers who ended up losing 3-2 against Penn State. They bounced back and swept Rutgers the next day and then, thanks to Minnesota beating Penn State, WON THE WHOLE DANGED CONFERENCE!
The Badgers also received good news on Sunday night during the NCAA Tournament Selection Show when they were announced as the No. 4 overall seed! Rock will have much more on the first weekend, aka this weekend, of the NCAA Tournament at the Field House coming up.
"Playing in @B1GVolleyball definitely makes us battle tested."— NCAA Volleyball (@NCAAVolleyball) December 2, 2019
Dana Rettke joined the Selection Show to react to @BadgerVB receiving a top-4 national seed and the chance to host regionals.#NCAAVB pic.twitter.com/DSudygUla8
- This whole thread may make you feel a little bit better about the Badgers men’s basketball team. Maybe. I don’t know.
The one thing UW has really improved over expectations has been defensive rebounding (15th nationally) while playing a ton of small lineups. This is something a lot of fans won't appreciate but it's indicative of significant player development and good coaching.— Badger Film Room (@BadgerFilm) November 30, 2019
- Lotta Vince Biegel news on the Twitter machine this weekend.
Inside Vince Biegel’s unique journey from small-town Wisconsin cranberry farmer to impressive keeper for rebuilding Dolphins. A fun look at Miami’s cranberry man, @VinceBiegel: https://t.co/F1i2EhJ0YW— Cameron Wolfe (@CameronWolfe) November 30, 2019
- You do, in fact, love to see it.
- Badgers won on Saturday night 3-2, but fell 3-1 on Sunday. I’m starting to think this team won’t meet preseason expectations, sadly.
Looking back to last night: Daniel Lebedeff swatting the puck off the goal line in the last 2 minutes was a critical moment in the #Badgers securing the win, but this save on Dakota Raabe soon after Michigan went up 2-0 was a pretty important one, too. pic.twitter.com/aqEKcJeKL2— Todd Milewski (@ToddMilewski) December 1, 2019
- Chris Orr and Tyler Biadasz are monsters.
With so many outstanding performances this season, it was hard to narrow down the list, but we did our best.— PFF College (@PFF_College) December 2, 2019
Here are the PFF All-Americans for the 2019 season.
(Via @PFF_Cam)https://t.co/n41NnT1meJ pic.twitter.com/IW6oCiyJIk
- It was not the best Sunday for the wrestling team who ran into a No. 1 ranked buzzsaw in Iowa City.
An upset to finish the night❕— Iowa On BTN (@IowaOnBTN) December 2, 2019
No. 12 Tony Cassioppi (@tony25_8) capped off the night by taking out No. 2 Trent Hillger and sending @Hawks_Wrestling fans home happy with a 32-3 Hawkeye victory. @FloWrestling pic.twitter.com/nQzPKmdOf7
- The Badgers beat Ball State but fell to Arkansas in the Bahamas over the weekend.
- Indiana beat Purdue in double OT, but there is still a lot for the Boilermakers to be excited for next year.
- 2021 3-star Iowa LB commits to his home state university.
- A brief bracket breakdown from Corn Nation on the volleyball tournament.
- PSU TE Pat Freiermuth is returning for his junior season.
- Michigan football is in “purgatory.” They can’t beat Ohio State, they can’t beat Wisconsin and they can only sometimes beat Penn State and Michigan State. They only time they’ve beaten a B1G division champion in the past three years was last year’s Northwestern team. Who, need I remind you, sucked.
- SCHIANO BACK AT RUTGERS! All of your coaching carousel needs about whatever it was that happened at Rutgers over the past few weeks can be found at On The Banks.
- Wisconsin plays Ohio State for the B1G Title on Saturday. ::gulp::
- Hug a Northwestern fan today because Mick McCall was finally fired and I’m sure they’ve never been happier.
- I’m as surprised as you are that Illinois made the volleyball tournament.
- Is Indiana a lucky team?
- The Spartans have entered an existential nightmare where the future is non-existent and results don’t matter that can only be fixed with time and pain. I didn’t write that, The Only Colors did. Seems like things are going well there with the football team!
- The Gophers landed a 4-star 2021 in-state PF.
- Minnesota fans are sad though because their fraudulent football team lost.
- But they are also optimistic!
B1G basketball scoreboard from over the weekend (losses in bold because we are here to laugh at misfortune):
No. 5 Maryland 80 - Harvard 73
Rutgers 82 - UMass 57
Michigan 82 - No. 8 Gonzaga 64
Minnesota 68 - DePaul 73
Penn State 85 - Syracuse 64
Iowa 73 - San Diego State 83
No. 10 Ohio State 90 - Morgan State 57
Purdue 59 - No. 20 VCU 56
Indiana 64 - South Dakota State 50
Purdue 60 - Florida State 63 (OT)
No. 5 Maryland 84 - Marquette 63