Good morning! This is going to be a daily(ish) post that discusses the goings on of the rest of the Big Ten Conference, and the country as needed. Much like the European Union, the Big Ten is a loosely confederated group of entities that sometimes have the same goals (like free movement of people between countries or not winning national titles in football or basketball) and sometimes accept new members that they later regret (Estonia or Rutgers).
We hope that you will use this post to comment on things happening around the conference and also as a sort of daily open thread to discuss breaking news or argue about Spotted Cow.
- We mentioned a couple of national awards that the Badgers women’s hockey team won on Wednesday, but there was one additional (conference) award that we missed. If Below Deck has taught me anything, you shouldn’t disrespect the captain.
Another award for Captain Mack!— Wisconsin Hockey (@BadgerWHockey) November 6, 2019
Congrats to #Badgers @MekenzieSteffen on being named the @WCHA_WHockey Defenseman of the Month! pic.twitter.com/XhFn7XLozh
- The women’s soccer team may have lost in the first round of the conference tournament, but they are still highly ranked and should receive a good seed in the NCAA Tournament.
Another week in the top-15! #OnWisconsin pic.twitter.com/Wret1IJxfB— Wisconsin Soccer (@BadgerWSoccer) November 6, 2019
- Don’t mind me, I’m just sending the men’s hockey team a “you up?” text.
They're calling the Feb. 14 game against Penn State "Netflix and Chill Date Night."— Todd Milewski (@ToddMilewski) November 6, 2019
Ummmmm ... https://t.co/3D0OeAqm5H
- Nate Reuvers had a good game against Saint Mary’s. BTW, the Badgers are going to have a PROBLEM when they play Marquette and Markus Howard.
Nate Reuvers appears poised to step into the Wisconsin slot in the kPOY standings. pic.twitter.com/C38CyhKWMi— Bart T rvik (@totally_t_bomb) November 6, 2019
Reuvers is on the rise— Wisconsin Basketball (@BadgerMBB) November 6, 2019
Career high 22 pts, 6 reb, and 4 blk for @Reuvers35 vs. #20 Saint Mary's#OnWisconsin » #Badgers pic.twitter.com/o62BQxUTeV
- The volleyball team has three Under Armour High School All-Americans coming to campus next year.
BREAKING: The 2019 Under Armour Girls High School All-American class has been released! #UAALLAMERICA— AVCA (@AVCAVolleyball) November 6, 2019
View: https://t.co/vXg4AWWgq2 pic.twitter.com/0VRyGnKvb2
- Devyn Robinson, Ankeny Centennial High School, Ankeny, Iowa, MB, made the first team
- Jade Demps, Broughton High School, Raleigh, N.C., OH, made the second team
- Madison (MJ) Hammill, Center Grove High School, Greenwood, Ind., S, made the second team
On the first team, Minnesota lands the most honorees with three commitments out of the 24. The Big Ten Conference leads all conferences with 20 honorees attending one of their 14 institutions.
- I wonder if Jake gets a vote for this award? He literally wrote the book on walk-ons.
What can we say... walk-on success is what we do.@matthenningsen is carrying on the legacy.— Wisconsin Football (@BadgerFootball) November 7, 2019
Watch List >> @BurlsworthTrust #OnWisconsin pic.twitter.com/0BRjBTtJby
- Tyler joined BHGP for their podcast to preview the Wisconsin/Iowa game.
SpoCo Radio Episode 24: @davecreagh, @ChiPeoplesChamp and @jerryscherwin get together to Badger @B5Q blogger @TylerLHunt, create a contest for two lucky fans to win Amazon Swag and preview Saturday’s Big Ten West matchup against Wisconsin. https://t.co/qUaGBCHmvk pic.twitter.com/PrEylAJK1K— BlackHeartGoldPants (@BHGP) November 7, 2019
- What did Kirk Ferentz have to say about the matchup with Wisconsin? Probably a lot of boring stuff, but here it is anyways.
- The biggest game of the B1G season so far is taking place in Minneapolis on Saturday. Here’s a preview from Black Shoe Diaries.
- Nebraska football AND men’s basketball are in shambles.
- Purdue is redshirting two of their top recruits in basketball.
- Rutgers women’s basketball coach C. Vivian Stringer won her 500th career game. That is impressive.
- Michigan may have barely hung on to be App. State in their hoops opener, but that hasn’t slowed them down on the recruiting trail. The Wolverines made the top-10 for Jonathan Kuminga, one of the top 2021 recruits in the whole country. Maryland is also in the mix.
- What did Michigan State learn in their loss to Kentucky?
- A cool retrospective of Minnesota’s 1999 upset of No. 2 Penn State from someone who actually played in the game!
- B1G Basketball Scoreboard (losses in bold because we are here to laugh at misfortune):
No. 18 Ohio State 64 - Cincinnati 56
No. 23 Purdue 79 - Green Bay 57