Recruiting is the lifeblood of any major college athletics team, but following it closely as a fan can sometimes be difficult and can often be time consuming. We’ll try and condense all the recruiting news you can use into this bi-weekly post. It’ll include updates on current commits, including stats from their high school games, as well as news on players the Badgers are still pursuing. Let’s get down to business!
Current commit rankings bumps
- The 247 boards are a crazy place full of a bunch of useful information once you sift through the nonsense. One of the commenters on there has a super handy Google Sheet with the 2020 recruiting class and their rankings on it. You can see how players’ rankings have changed over time on the various recruiting sites.
A couple of notes to, uh, note. WR Chimere Dike (Waukesha) is now a 4-star on 247. Dike had a monster senior season and is the rare Wisconsin skill position player that is getting some national respect. Good for him and good for the Badgers for recognizing his talent early.
DE Cade McDonald (Hudson) is still a 3-star on 247, but he rocketed up to an 87 (from an 82) due to his senior year performance.
There are a bunch of other changes that you can check out through the link above, but this Wisconsin recruiting class, with a couple more spots yet to fill, is shaping up to be one of the best ever.
Current commits winning awards
- 4-star LB Nick Herbig (Honolulu, Hawaii) won the Manti Te’o award as defensive player of the year in Hawaii. He’s going to be a good one, folks.
Congratulations to 2019 #Cover2 Manti Te’o Award Winner • @nickherbig_ of @StLouisHawaii • Defensive Player of the Year #Cover2Awards #Hawaii #HighSchoolFootball // https://t.co/SOdY37JnAf pic.twitter.com/aenUVRmmFY— Rob DeMello (@RobDeMelloKHON) November 29, 2019
- 2021 3-star QB Deacon Hill (Santa Barbara, Calif.) didn’t win any award, per se, but he has taken his high school to the state championship game and that’s pretty danged impressive if you ask me.
Santa Barbara Hs has not been to the playoffs in 30 years. This Friday Wisconsin commit, @dhillsb10 is taking them to the show.— Coach Fish (@throw_to_win) November 26, 2019
I love Deacons athleticism. He’s 6’4” 220lbs and can run, throw off platform and change arm angels extremely well. Proud of you D, finish strong! pic.twitter.com/78N1r0OyS6
Reading too much into pictures in tweets
- 2022 QB prospect Devin Brown (Queen Creek, Ariz.) wore a Wisconsin hoodie during his Turkey Bowl this Thanksgiving. MIGHT AS WELL JUST SIGN HIM UP NOW!
Turkey Bowl 2019 was a blast! Thanks to the Dads who gave us a good game. Hope you’re icing and stretching today. Mr Kaupe always on point with his camera. pic.twitter.com/U9IwPCY1Oz— Devin Brown (@dbrownqb33) November 29, 2019
More quarterback news
- 2020 unranked QB prospect Dan Villari (Massapequa, N.Y.) has decommitted from Fordham and reopened his recruitment. The Badgers were supposed to visit him a few weeks ago but were unable to make it. However, there is mutual interest and hopefully the Badgers do their due diligence on Villari and offer him if he fits, since UW doesn’t have a signal caller in the 2020 class.
Drew’s local high school wins the state title!
- Kind of a self-explanatory section.