Good morning! This is going to be a daily(ish) post that discusses the goings on of the rest of the Big Ten Conference, and the country as needed. Much like the European Union, the Big Ten is a loosely confederated group of entities that sometimes have the same goals (like free movement of people between countries or not winning national titles in football or basketball) and sometimes accept new members that they later regret (Estonia or Rutgers).
We hope that you will use this post to comment on things happening around the conference and also as a sort of daily open thread to discuss breaking news or argue about Spotted Cow.
- The Badgers lost to UCLA, 2-0, in the Sweet 16 on Sunday night in Los Angeles.
What. A. Season.— Wisconsin Soccer (@BadgerWSoccer) November 25, 2019
These #Badgers have A LOT to be proud of!#OnWisconsin pic.twitter.com/hQ3vt9mofi
A tough end to a fantastic season. This year’s senior class has laid the groundwork for great things in the future.
Help us thank our tremendous senior class that became the FIRST Badger senior class since 1996 to make it to the @NCAASoccer tournament in each of their four seasons! #OnceaBadgerAlwaysaBadger pic.twitter.com/qiSqiJRpBZ— Wisconsin Soccer (@BadgerWSoccer) November 25, 2019
- At least Dani Rhodes was happy before the game!
SACKKKKKKK FUMBLE @_TJWatt— Dani Rhodes (@danirhodes04) November 24, 2019
- Still not 100% sure how Rhodes scored this goal, but I will be watching this replay a dozen more times.
WHAT A GOAL!!— NCAA Soccer (@NCAASoccer) November 23, 2019
Dani Rhodes finds the back of the net to give Wisconsin the late lead!#NCAASoccer | @BadgerWSoccer pic.twitter.com/P06nBNeDo7
- The men’s hoops team is in New York...City! The Legends Classic tips off tonight and we’ll have a Q&A with Mid-Major Madness about the Richmond game coming later today as well as our regular game thread/preview.
The @BadgerMBB team doesn’t practice in NYC that often but, when they do, they prefer to have the sun setting on the skyline as a backdrop. #badgers #onwisconsin #nyc pic.twitter.com/iDkknvbzUj— Justin Doherty (@JDatWisconsin) November 24, 2019
- The volleyball team has played six sets against Nebraska this year. How many sets do you think the Huskers won?
On Wisconsin!!!— NCAA Volleyball (@NCAAVolleyball) November 24, 2019
No. 5 @BadgerVB closes its home schedule on a strong note, sweeping No. 6 Nebraska (25-19, 25-22, 25-21).#NCAAVB pic.twitter.com/ld2LVHseJY
- I’m going to need someone to make one HELL of a retrospective of Jonathan Taylor’s career once he declares for the NFL Draft in a few months. These runs are so amazing.
Another week, another long @JayT23 TD pic.twitter.com/Sikq1fKTQ9— FOX College Football (@CFBONFOX) November 23, 2019
- The Badger grapplers faced their first ranked opponent of the season and passed the test with flying colors.
Thor smashed his hammer and got it done for the Badgers pic.twitter.com/PqQfwBePFi— Wisconsin Wrestling (@BadgerWrestling) November 23, 2019
Penn State on the other hand? Not quite as lucky.
DOWN GOES NO. 1 PENN STATE‼️@ASUWrestling snaps their 60-meet win streak and hands them their first loss since 2015! pic.twitter.com/KuSnzhPlFZ— Arizona State Sun Devils (@TheSunDevils) November 23, 2019
- Whoever is making that Taylor retrospective should probably throw this one in there too. Just for fun.
62 yards.— Kohl's Kicking Camps (@KohlsKicking) November 23, 2019
Zach Hintze makes a statement, and buries a Wisconsin school record. #KohlsElite pic.twitter.com/1dVjaaKu7I
- Alicia Monson is really fast.
finishes 2nd to lead the Badgers to an incredible 7th place finish at the NCAA Championships #BadgerPack #NCAAXC ⚪️ pic.twitter.com/5aRsu1MOq3— Wisconsin Track & Field (@BadgerTrackXC) November 23, 2019
- It’s actually spelled Threeto Brown. Common mistake.
Back-to-back threes by Vitto Brown gives Erie a 120-112 with 2:00 left in the game! #BeHere pic.twitter.com/Er2pWVMoDn— Erie BayHawks (@ErieBayHawks) November 23, 2019
- The goalie change helped a bit, as the Badgers tied the Gophers on Saturday night and got the extra point in the conference standings by winning the shootout, but there are much larger problems with the defense than just a goalie switch.
#Badgers coach Tony Granato said senior goalie Jack Berry will start Saturday in place of Daniel Lebedeff: "I just think it's time."— Todd Milewski (@ToddMilewski) November 23, 2019
- The women’s hockey team took care of business over the weekend and now heads to Nashville for next weekend’s mini-tournament with some Boston teams.
FINAL IN ST. CLOUD— Wisconsin Hockey (@BadgerWHockey) November 23, 2019
No. 2 #Badgers 6, St. Cloud State 2
Watts scores twice as UW completes the sweep of the Huskies! pic.twitter.com/uWVcvoqm03
Nashville, here we come!— Wisconsin Hockey (@BadgerWHockey) November 24, 2019
- https://t.co/gmrar93nsd pic.twitter.com/K63344ubSt
- Holy shit is this Steve Politi column a scathing rebuke of the decision makers at Rutgers who have completely and thoroughly botched their football coaching search.
Go back to playing Lehigh and Lafayette, Rutgers. As a big-time college football program, you're a joke. Column: https://t.co/ZgLllYNXkp— Steve Politi (@StevePoliti) November 24, 2019
My inbox:— Steve Politi (@StevePoliti) November 24, 2019
"Please pass this on to Hobbs that this alumni of the football team who has 4 tickets on the 50-yard line is not renewing my season tickets and cancelling my $250/month donation. Enjoy your empty stadium and dried up donations all because you couldn’t get it done."
SOURCE: Greg Schiano is not taking the #Rutgers job. These terms that @Brett_McMurphy reported are similar to what I’ve heard. RU has moved on to its back-up plan I’m told. Names to keep an eye on now: Anthony Campanile, Jeff Hafley, Butch Jones, Bret Bielema & Joe Moorhead. https://t.co/N9e8wwLP8F— Bruce Feldman (@BruceFeldmanCFB) November 24, 2019
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE CAN WE HAVE BIELEMA AT RUTGERS!
- Badgers beat the Boilers for the 14th time in a row.
- Corn Nation tries to put a positive spin on getting swept out of the Field House.
- Penn State’s defense gave them a chance to beat Ohio State.
- The Hawkeyes had a good recruiting weekend in football. They got verbal commitments from a 4-star 2021 DE/OLB from Minnesota and a 3-star 2021 DT from Iowa.
- The defending national champion Maryland men’s soccer team bowed out of the NCAA Tournament in the second round this year.
- Oh man, Michigan fans have really bought back into Jim Harbaugh. It’s going to be amazing to read what they have to say after getting blown out at home by Ohio State!
- A 3-star 2020 in-state RB flipped from Iowa State to Ohio State this weekend.
- So, what does that commitment mean for the Badgers search for a RB in the 2020 class? On 247 Sports, the Crystal Balls are split evenly between Wisconsin and Ohio State for 4-star Texas RB Kevontre Bradford. Does Ohio State take another RB? Does Bradford get upset that they already took one? Moving on to Jalen Berger (4-star RB from New Jersey)...he was considered a Rutgers lean if Greg Schiano was hired. Schiano is not being hired so what does Berger do now? Wisconsin seems to have a couple of high-end options to round out their 2020 recruiting class.
- College GameDay will be in Minneapolis for the Axe Game. Should be fun.
B1G basketball scoreboard from this weekend (losses in bold because we are here to laugh at misfortune):
No. 6 Maryland 86 - George Mason 63
Michigan 111 - Houston Baptist 68
No. 10 Ohio State 85 - Purdue Fort Wayne 46
Nebraska 93 - Southern 86 OT
Northwestern 70 - Norfolk State 59
Penn State 58 - Yale 56
Purdue 81 - Jacksonville State 49
Illinois 120 - Hampton 71
Iowa 85 - Cal Poly 59
Minnesota 79 - North Dakota 56
Good weekend for the B1G!