The No. 12 Wisconsin Badgers (9-2 overall, 6-2 B1G) remain in second place in the B1G West, one game behind the No. 10 Minnesota Golden Gophers (10-1 overall, 7-1 B1G), after beating the Purdue Boilermakers (4-7 overall, 3-5 B1G) on Saturday afternoon.
ESPN’s College GameDay will be in Minneapolis next Saturday for the clash for Paul Bunyan’s Axe, the B1G West division title and a trip to Indianapolis to play for the conference title.
What sort of bowl implications did this past weekend have on the Badgers? Let’s take a look at where the experts have UW heading:
- CBS Sports: Citrus Bowl (January 1) Wisconsin vs. Florida
- 247 Sports: Citrus Bowl (January 1) Wisconsin vs. Auburn
- The Sporting News: TaxSlayer Bowl (January 2) Wisconsin vs. Virginia Tech
- Banner Society: Citrus Bowl (January 1) Wisconsin vs. Florida
- Bleacher Report: Citrus Bowl (January 1) Wisconsin vs. Auburn
- ESPN’s Mark Schlabach: Rose Bowl (January 1) Wisconsin vs. Utah
- ESPN’s Kyle Bonagura: Citrus Bowl (January 1) Wisconsin vs. Auburn
The consensus after this weekend’s action is that the Badgers are headed to Orlando for the Citrus Bowl against either Auburn or Florida. That’s not a terrible end to the season but it does lead me to believe that a lot of pundits think Wisconsin is going to lose to Minnesota on Saturday.
If the Badgers beat the Gophers and put up a respectable effort against Ohio State in the B1G Title game (not a guarantee on either account) then the Rose Bowl seems to be where they’d be headed. It would be fun to head west and get a Rose rematch with Oregon or take on a Utah team who might even make the Playoff if they keep winning
A worst case scenario, which The Sporting News is subscribing to, is going to the TaxSlayer bowl and playing a Virginia Tech team that just lost to UVa for the first time in a generation. That would be a sad bowl game.