Good morning! This is going to be a daily(ish) post that discusses the goings on of the rest of the Big Ten Conference, and the country as needed. Much like the European Union, the Big Ten is a loosely confederated group of entities that sometimes have the same goals (like free movement of people between countries or not winning national titles in football or basketball) and sometimes accept new members that they later regret (Estonia or Rutgers).
We hope that you will use this post to comment on things happening around the conference and also as a sort of daily open thread to discuss breaking news or argue about Spotted Cow.
- I’ve never heard of this guy, but he ranks Wisconsin highly and has a PhD from Stanford...so I trust him.
The next 5 college football teams based on this year's data only (points, yards per play, success rate):— Ed Feng (@thepowerrank) November 21, 2019
10. Florida https://t.co/y9Tzl7mBlw
- Some big time match ups at Camp Randall on Friday, most featuring future Badgers or hopeful future Badgers.
It's GAME DAY! Catch all of today & tomorrow's WIAA State Football action from Camp Randall in Madison live on @fswisconsin or https://t.co/9HI9zqZQp1! #wiaafb— WIAA (@wiaawi) November 21, 2019
Follow @wiaawistate for updates & scores!
MORE INFO: https://t.co/I5SF8ecUhr pic.twitter.com/aIgg6nllY8
- Has anyone played the new 2K? Is it good? Keep in mind, I am 34 years old, I don’t play online and I suck at the game.
I appreciate 2k keeping me in the free agent pool. Just picked myself up and was actually happy at the 73 overall. They also made my beard look nice. Mini victories.— Sam Dekker (@dekker) November 21, 2019
- I am interested to see how the men’s soccer team does next year if they stay healthy. I think there are some pieces there for a run.
- The defending national champs have a game on Friday against St. Cloud, but last year’s seniors are headed to the White House to be honored.
- A couple more awards pared down their lists. Don’t worry, Jonathan Taylor is still on all of them.
Doak Walker Award semifinalists, nation’s top running back— Brett McMurphy (@Brett_McMurphy) November 21, 2019
LeVante Bellamy, WMU
A.J. Dillon, BC
J.K. Dobbins, Ohio St
Clyde Edwards-Helaire, LSU
Travis Etienne, Clemson
Kenneth Gainwell, Memphis
Chuba Hubbard, Okla St
Xavier Jones, SMU
Zack Moss, Utah
Jonathan Taylor, Wisconsin
Walter Camp Player of Year semifinalists:— Brett McMurphy (@Brett_McMurphy) November 21, 2019
Burrow, Chase, LSU
Dobbins, Fields, Young, OhIoSt
Etienne, Lawrence, Simmons, Clem
Hurts, Lamb, OU
D. Smith, Bama
- Well, I guess Taylor isn’t on this list...but Chris Orr is!
Lott IMPACT Trophy semifinalists, defensive player of year— Brett McMurphy (@Brett_McMurphy) November 21, 2019
Derrick Brown, Auburn
Cole Christiansen, Army
Jordan Fuller, Ohio State
Brandon Jones, Texas
Kenneth Murray, Oklahoma
Chris Orr, Wisconsin
Isaiah Simmons, Clemson
Curtis Weaver, Boise State
Evan Weaver, Cal
- Crazy kids and their crazy “I’m going to tell my kids” memes.
We're gonna tell our kids this was Wayne Gretzky. pic.twitter.com/JtVvLzWUFG— USA Hockey’s NTDP (@USAHockeyNTDP) November 21, 2019
- It’s good to know that Brevin Pritzl is paying attention is practice.
- I need to get better at Photoshop.
- So, Micah Potter was denied his third and final appeal on Thursday afternoon. The NCAA is ridiculous.
Statement from #Badgers athletic director Barry Alvarez on the Potter situation: “We are disappointed with the decision from the NCAA and the legislative relief committee. As we have said throughout the entire process, Micah has done exactly what we want from student-athletes ...— Jim Polzin (@JimPolzinWSJ) November 22, 2019
- Speaking of waiver denials, Michigan State’s Joey Hauser also had his waiver application denied. Tom Izzo is HEATED about the decision.
Stemming from the Hauser decision, Tom Izzo called Jim Haney, the executive director in National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC), and resigned from the NABC board of directors last night.— Brendan Quinn (@BFQuinn) November 21, 2019
- Iowa’s biggest matchup on Saturday against Illinois is vs. ball security.
- An interesting take that Ohio State should rest their starters to prepare for Michigan. I see nothing wrong with this idea.
- I answered some questions about the Badgers for the gang over at Hammer and Rails.
- Justin Fields has had a pretty wild collegiate career. You may have forgotten, but he was at one point committed to Penn State.
- Michigan has recently had trouble with Indiana despite their monstrous winning streak against the Hoosiers. How will things go this weekend?
- The Minnesota men’s basketball team is off to a rough start. Should everyone be panicking here in the Twin Cities?
- The Maryland men’s soccer team advanced to the second round of the NCAA Tournament with a 4-0 thrashing of Iona.
- Terps nab a 3-star 2021 WR from Virginia.
- The Illini got a commitment from a 2020 JUCO LB/S hybrid type player.
- In bigger Illinois recruiting news, a 4-star Chicago PG is staying home and playing for the Illini. This is a big deal for Brad Underwood. If he can start keeping a couple of Illinois kids home in each recruiting class, he’ll make his job MUCH easier.