Good morning! This is going to be a daily(ish) post that discusses the goings on of the rest of the Big Ten Conference, and the country as needed. Much like the European Union, the Big Ten is a loosely confederated group of entities that sometimes have the same goals (like free movement of people between countries or not winning national titles in football or basketball) and sometimes accept new members that they later regret (Estonia or Rutgers).
We hope that you will use this post to comment on things happening around the conference and also as a sort of daily open thread to discuss breaking news or argue about Spotted Cow.
- The worst city in Wisconsin is Manitowoc? I mean, they’re wrong about Pennsylvania. Everyone knows this worst city there is Pittsburgh.
Oh heck no https://t.co/V9sBaKrdar— Charlie Berens (@CharlieBerens) October 31, 2019
- So, the Wisconsin women’s soccer team CLEANED UP on the end of season awards. Check this shit out.
Paula Wilkins of @BadgerWSoccer named 2019 Big Ten Coach of the Year #B1GWSOC pic.twitter.com/C2MKPfRV3D— Big Ten Soccer (@B1GSoccer) October 31, 2019
Dani Rhodes of @BadgerWSoccer named 2019 Big Ten Forward of the Year #B1GWSOC pic.twitter.com/A5piJeamMf— Big Ten Soccer (@B1GSoccer) October 31, 2019
Jordyn Bloomer of @BadgerWSoccer named 2019 Big Ten Goalkeeper of the Year. #B1GWSOC pic.twitter.com/XpE6K7B9mw— Big Ten Soccer (@B1GSoccer) October 31, 2019
Camryn Biegalski of @BadgerWSoccer named 2019 Big Ten Defender of the Year. #B1GWSOC pic.twitter.com/3BKiaMeX5j— Big Ten Soccer (@B1GSoccer) October 31, 2019
Congrats to our 4️⃣ members of the @B1GSoccer First Team! pic.twitter.com/Efha96frXb— Wisconsin Soccer (@BadgerWSoccer) October 31, 2019
The 2019 #B1GWSOC All-Big Ten Third Team. pic.twitter.com/QHAHOFZzEM— Big Ten Soccer (@B1GSoccer) October 31, 2019
The top-seeded Badgers open up the conference tournament on Sunday against Purdue.
You're not going to want to miss this postseason matchup!!— Wisconsin Soccer (@BadgerWSoccer) October 31, 2019
Get to McClimon for the kickoff of the Big Ten tournament as your #1 seeded Badgers look to add a tournament title to their regular season crown!! pic.twitter.com/d368UZ27Do
- SAM NOOOOOO! You are literally traveling the world! DRINK SOMETHING EXCITING!!!!
Mom brought me the best gift anyone could ask for when being out of the country. pic.twitter.com/SPwLZEfQVK— Sam Dekker (@dekker) October 31, 2019
- Well, Cole Caufield scored another goal on Thursday night to up his nation leading total to eight and...that was the only thing that went right for the Badgers against Penn State.
FYI...@colecaufield leads the nation with 7 goals@lindy2201 shares the lead with two short-handed goals@Turcotte__71 leads with 0.75 power-play goals per game@Wkalynuk17 shares blue line lead with six assists@Romanahcan3 shares the lead with a plus-11. pic.twitter.com/RVFF7e2yld— Wisconsin Hockey (@BadgerMHockey) October 31, 2019
Heading into the second period down 2-1 with some momentum since Caufield’s goal came with under 10 seconds left in the first, the Badgers could not capitalize and got dismantled by PSU’s power play to end up losing 6-1.
Let's have a B1G bounce back tomorrow! pic.twitter.com/CikwlB6rVC— Wisconsin Hockey (@BadgerMHockey) November 1, 2019
The Nittany Lions scored four power play goals on a previously dominant Badger penalty kill and were able to stop a Wisconsin season-high 38 of 39 shots.
“They’re a mature team. A lot of upperclassmen in their lineup. They played like an experienced team that was ready for this game. We were not quite as good as I thought we’d be considering its the opener of the Big Ten season,” head coach Tony Granato said.
The two teams will be back on the ice Friday night at 5 p.m. CT on BTN.
- The Men In Blazers are the best soccer analysts.
Left Foot: Rose Lavelle— Men in Blazers (@MenInBlazers) October 31, 2019
Right Foot: Rose Lavelle
Finishing: Rose Lavelle
Footballing Brain: Rose Lavelle
Vision: Rose Lavelle
Strength: Rose Lavelle
Speed: Rose Lavelle
Passing: Rose Lavelle
Dribbling: Rose Lavelle
Heading: Rose Lavelle
Tricks: Rose Lavelle
Also, Lavelle was called up to the national team camp and will play in a pair of upcoming friendlies next month.
- The first wrestling match of the season is upon us and the No. 4 Badgers are in San Diego and soon will be on a FREAKING AIRCRAFT CARRIER! The first duel is at 11 a.m. CT Friday against Fresno State. All the other info you need is in the post below.
We’re on our way to San Diego for the Battle on the Midway!— Wisconsin Wrestling (@BadgerWrestling) October 30, 2019
Here are 5️⃣ things you need to know before our first match!https://t.co/Aoe6BagEHH
- Hopefully everyone had a fun and candy-filled Halloween. The Badgers volleyball team has been scaring the rest of the B1G this year (nailed it) and took some time off to scare themselves.
Viewers Are Advised: This video is bananas.— Wisconsin Volleyball (@BadgerVB) October 31, 2019
Happy Halloween from Wisconsin Volleyball!
To celebrate, we decided to scare ourselves a bit pic.twitter.com/aQhEHPPQNb
- It doesn’t get much better than Minnesota vs. Wisconsin in hockey.
1️⃣ 2️⃣— Wisconsin Hockey (@BadgerWHockey) November 1, 2019
#BorderBattle // #OnWisconsin pic.twitter.com/t6xn5xOE3V
- Oh snap, it’s game day! I don’t get BTN+ and I certainly won’t be paying for it to watch the game against UW-La Crosse but hopefully no one gets hurt!
We're ready. Let's begin.— Wisconsin Basketball (@BadgerMBB) November 1, 2019
Who's joining us for our exhibition tomorrow night at the Kohl Center?#OnWisconsin #Badgers pic.twitter.com/Bu5U7p8FVQ
- Speaking of exhibition games, the women’s hoops team took care of business in theirs against UW-Whitewater. Imani Lewis led the way with 15 points and seven boards.
Feels good to be back. #OnWisconsin pic.twitter.com/3tk52SATC8— Wisconsin Basketball (@BadgerWBB) October 31, 2019
- A definitive ranking of the best candy for all of your post-Halloween bargain shopping needs.
- Here is BSD’s recap of the whupping the Lions put on the Badgers Thursday night.
- Rondale Moore hasn’t been ruled out of Purdue’s game vs. Nebraska yet. If he plays...that’s why the Huskers will lose.
- The Bear suck. Northwestern sucks. So yeah, maybe the Wildcats ARE Chicago’s B1G team!
- The No. 2 seed Rutgers Scarlet Knights also received a bunch of award love from the B1G in women’s soccer.
- Everything you ever wanted to know about Maryland’s men’s basketball team.
- We’ll wait until we get Ryan’s official take on this, but Illinois’ potential pumpkin mascot probably sucks.
- It’s going to be a Maroon Out in Minneapolis next weekend.
- MSU LB Joe Bachie was declared ineligible on Thursday for testing positive for a banned substance. The Spartans just lost to the bye week.