Recruiting is the lifeblood of any major college athletics team, but following it closely as a fan can sometimes be difficult and can often be time consuming. We’ll try and condense all the recruiting news you can use into this bi-weekly post. It’ll include updates on current commits as well as news on players the Badgers are still pursuing. Let’s get down to business!
New football offers
- Arden Walker is a 2021 3-star DE (by both 247 and Rivals) from Englewood (Cherry Creek), Colo. who was extended a scholarship offer by Wisconsin last week. Standing either 6-foot-4 or 6-foot-3, depending on which recruiting service you prefer, and weighing just about 250 pounds, Walker has good size for a high school junior.
Blessed to receive an offer from the University of Wisconsin! Special thanks to @CoachAprilUW @CCNextLevelFB pic.twitter.com/UiUWOzwRBW— Arden Walker (@walker_arden) October 4, 2019
According to 247, Walker has received offers from Colorado, Colorado State, Kansas State, Kansas and Mizzou, to go along with his newest offer from the Badgers. 247 rates him as the No. 37 strong-side defensive end in the country.
Walker is relentless in pursuit of the ball and is often able to bull rush his man into blowing up running plays. The only thing I (amateur talent evaluator that I am) noticed that he may need to work on is keeping contain on RPOs.
If you stick around until the end of the video it looks like when his team is on offense they run some Hippo formation!
- 2021 Composite 4-star WR/TE Terrance Ferguson of Littleton (Heritage), Colo. was also given an offer last week in an attempt to build a pipeline into Colorado. Ferguson is a shiny building of a man, standing 6-foot-5 and weighing 220 pounds.
After a great phone call with @CoachTurnerUW I’m super excited to say I’ve received an offer from @BadgerFootball #OnWisconsin pic.twitter.com/VD47XvtsfX— Terrance Ferguson (@Tf3four) October 3, 2019
Ferguson has offers from LSU, Ohio State, Oregon, Penn State, Southern Cal, Arizona State, Arkansas, Colorado, Iowa and the Badgers. Georgia has also shown interest but hasn’t offered yet. According to Rivals, he is the No. 31 WR in the country and No. 160 player overall. 247 has him listed as the No. 19 TE in the country and No. 467 player overall.
Being as tall as he is, Ferguson shows a good ability to go up and get contested balls. In the second highlight on his Hudl tape he literally just wrests the ball away from the defensive back and then carries three defenders for a few extra yards before finally being tackled once additional help arrives.
He would be a nice replacement for the current Ferguson the Badgers have on their roster who also happens to be a pass catching TE. Coincidence?
- 2021 3-star WR Michael Jackson III of Las Vegas (Desert Pines), Nev. was the third offer that the Badgers sent out last week. The speedy wideout (he was timed at an eye-popping 4.24 on his 40-yard dash at The Opening Regional in May) comes in at 5-foot-11 and weighs around 185 pounds.
Blessed to receive an offer from The University of Wisconsin!! #gobadgers #allglorytoGod @CoachGilmoreUW @DHill39 @CoachKhalif @CoachGebhardt @adamgorney @bangulo pic.twitter.com/uUDds8glSm— Michael Jackson lll (@mike3jack) October 4, 2019
He also holds offers from Cal, BYU, UNLV, Utah and West Virginia. Rivals reports that he also has an offer from Washington State.
Jackson is, quite simply put, faster than everyone he’s playing against in high school. He runs past dudes on deep balls, he catches short passes and then runs past dudes and after the game he runs past dudes to get the best seat on the bus.
I don’t think his game will just be “all speed” in college though. He makes tough catches in traffic and always seemed to beat his man off the line of scrimmage.
- 2022 SG Javaughn Hannah of Mount Clemens, Mich. was supposed to be in Madison over the weekend, but his schedule ended up changing and he stayed closer to home and visited Ann Arbor.
Busy weekend for 2022 Javaughn Hannah on the recruiting trail with the following visits on deck:— Endless Motor Sports (@endless_motor) October 4, 2019
10/4: DePaul (Offer)
10/5: Wisconsin (Strong Interest)
10/6: Northwestern (Newcomer Coming on Strong)
Talented sophomore guard is quickly emerging on the national scene pic.twitter.com/0IdoMeQ2zx
2022 Javaughn Hannah took an unofficial visit to Michigan today. Wolverine Nation should definitely get familiar with the 6’4 sophomore guard. Three level scorer out of Mt. Clemens HS that runs with Bates Fundamentals on the EYBL circuit. DePaul extended an offer last weekend. pic.twitter.com/KtyUZDArIq— Endless Motor Sports (@endless_motor) October 5, 2019
Hannah, who is 6-foot-3 and weighs 175 pounds, has an offer from DePaul already and is receiving interest from Michigan, Northwestern, Michigan State and the Badgers.
Football recruits being recognized for being good
- 4-star LB commit Nick Herbig from Honolulu (St. Louis School), Hawaii got a big honor last week.
God never fails to amaze me!! So blessed and honored to have been selected to the All American Bowl!! CRUSADER NATION FOR LIFE pic.twitter.com/YiBWIQQu0M— 1️⃣HERBO9️⃣ (@nickherbig_) October 3, 2019
He has been a monster this year for his high school team and it wouldn’t be a surprise to see him make an instant impact when he gets on campus next year.