Good morning! This is going to be a daily(ish) post that discusses the goings on of the rest of the Big Ten Conference, and the country as needed. Much like the European Union, the Big Ten is a loosely confederated group of entities that sometimes have the same goals (like free movement of people between countries or not winning national titles in football or basketball) and sometimes accept new members that they later regret (Estonia or Rutgers).
We hope that you will use this post to comment on things happening around the conference and also as a sort of daily open thread to discuss breaking news or argue about Spotted Cow.
- Badgers have been racking up player of the week awards this week, and the women’s soccer team didn’t want to be left out of the fun.
Jordyn Bloomer of @BadgerWSoccer is the #B1GWSOC Goalkeeper of the Week: https://t.co/RqBo9ncdWR pic.twitter.com/sLU8YJFrtx— Big Ten Soccer (@B1GSoccer) October 8, 2019
Due to those two shutouts, the Badgers are inching closer and closer to the top-10.
Moving ⬆️ in the polls!— Wisconsin Soccer (@BadgerWSoccer) October 8, 2019
The #Badgers are ranked No. 1️⃣2️⃣ heading into Friday's #BorderBattle! pic.twitter.com/AL4PwKCoiS
- Yeah, winning B1G Player of the Week is cool and all but you know what is REALLY cool?
In case everyone didn't know how great of a week @sydhil_ had, here is some more recognition— Wisconsin Volleyball (@BadgerVB) October 8, 2019
Congratulations, Sydney! pic.twitter.com/H8Yfk6VxAV
- Doing it and doing it and doing it well.
This weekend, @BadgerVB recorded back-to-back wins over top-5 opponents for the first time in program history. #B1GVolleyball pic.twitter.com/NKgbajGLHS— Big Ten Volleyball (@B1GVolleyball) October 8, 2019
- This is a wonderful nickname and should be the only way we refer to Cormac Sampson from here on out.
Joe Rudolph says converted tight end Cormac Sampson has earned the nickname "Professor Smackdaddy." That's got to be an all-time favorite.— Jesse Temple (@jessetemple) October 8, 2019
- Those are some mighty fine looking banners.
All of the new @BadgerWHockey banners are in place at LaBahn Arena. pic.twitter.com/ujJpnkEPuS— Todd Milewski (@ToddMilewski) October 8, 2019
- The Madison.com preview of the men’s hockey team/season is being updated all week and so far it is very useful and informative. There is a breakdown of every player on the team and an update on Tony Granato and K’Andre Miller.
- Imagine if this happened at Penn State. That one racist fan who writes letters would probably pen an entire novel about how back in his day the only dancing that was done was by his friends when the soda fountain re-segregated.
Jump Around slaps... what can we say?#OnWisconsin pic.twitter.com/W3gdJMzrxy— Wisconsin Football (@BadgerFootball) October 8, 2019
- The men’s and women’s cross country teams are both ranked again after the new coaches poll came out on Tuesday.
The Wisconsin Men’s Cross Country team is ranked 19th in the @USTFCCCA National Coaches’ Poll for Week 4 #OnWisconsin ⚪️ pic.twitter.com/2IAwcHdLtM— Wisconsin Track & Field (@BadgerTrackXC) October 8, 2019
The Wisconsin Women’s Cross Country team is ranked 13th in the @USTFCCCA National Coaches’ Poll for Week 4 #GoBadgers ⚪️ pic.twitter.com/LgjVr2EaAJ— Wisconsin Track & Field (@BadgerTrackXC) October 8, 2019
- Some Michigan State news: the Spartans will be thin at RB heading into the game on Saturday.
So Elijah Collins, Anthony Williams and Brandon Wright are the three scholarship running backs on the roster. Walk-on Alante Thomas has gotten some action in mop-up duty. Former RB Weston Bridges moved to WR after spring ball. Wonder if he’ll move back.— Colton Pouncy (@colton_pouncy) October 8, 2019
It's a little early to tell if coach Mark Dantonio’s unique remodel is a success, failure or something in between. https://t.co/jblCGwKKWX— Chris Juzwik (@juz44) October 9, 2019
Breaking news in the Blackwell case: Mark Dantonio can wait till January to be deposed, but he must sit for the full seven hours and no questions are off-limits. https://t.co/ph68N91a80— Tony Paul (@TonyPaul1984) October 9, 2019
- Does MSU’s offense need to be perfect to beat the Badgers?
- If you hate yourself, here is a film breakdown of the Iowa/Michigan game.
- A film breakdown of WR blocking down field on a touchdown run? YES PLEASE!
- 3-star Florida DB flips from Louisville to Nebraska.
- Purdue and UCF are currently engaged in a MOON FIGHT!
- QB McClane Carter, the Texas Tech transfer who started the first two games of Rutgers season before suffering a concussion, has retired from football for medical reasons.
- Jackass Nick Bosa has a long memory and paid back harmless jackass Baker Mayfield on MNF.
- #9WINDIANA is still in the mix, baby!
- Gophers back up big man Eric Curry is out indefinitely with a knee injury.