Good morning! This is going to be a daily(ish) post that discusses the goings on of the rest of the Big Ten Conference, and the country as needed. Much like the European Union, the Big Ten is a loosely confederated group of entities that sometimes have the same goals (like free movement of people between countries or not winning national titles in football or basketball) and sometimes accept new members that they later regret (Estonia or Rutgers).
We hope that you will use this post to comment on things happening around the conference and also as a sort of daily open thread to discuss breaking news or argue about Spotted Cow.
- The men’s hockey season starts on Friday. Here is a national fact book for the whole college hockey landscape.
Via the always engaging @collegehockey media kit, #Badgers men's hockey ranks among Division I teams:— Todd Milewski (@ToddMilewski) October 4, 2019
* 5th shortest (5-11.37)
* 2nd youngest (20y, 256d as of 10/1)
* Tied for fewest seniors (3)
* Tied for 2nd-most NHL draft picks (12)https://t.co/AtAMZ94AEH
The shortest player in the country is our very own Sean Dhooghe who stands at 5-foot-3. JUST MEANS HE’S TOUGH TO KNOCK OFF THE PUCK!
K’Andre Miller did not practice on Saturday nor did he participate in the intrasquad scrimmage on Sunday due to violating team rules. It is unclear whether or not he will be eligible to play in the season opener on Friday against No. 11 Boston College.
- The Grand Forks (North Dakota) Herald is high on the Badgers prospects for this season.
Remember to stop by a news rack and grab a copy of the Herald today. We've got 10 pages of college hockey in there. The stories will be posted online, too. pic.twitter.com/eIjDgtEWYX— Brad Elliott Schlossman (@SchlossmanGF) October 4, 2019
- The women’s hockey team celebrated their home opener by raising a damn banner!
Last year's seniors take the trophy for a lap pic.twitter.com/LA61NJKtxA— Nicole Haase (@NicoleHaase) October 5, 2019
New addition to the wall at LaBahn. pic.twitter.com/9gP629PLt4— Todd Milewski (@ToddMilewski) October 4, 2019
Bob will have more info about the weekend, but you may have already heard that the Badgers swept the Nittany Lions all the way back to State College.
- Not to get all sentimental on you, but this is pretty cool.
Maddie Posick's sister played @brian_posick's call of her first #Badgers goal for her after the game. "I was just overwhelmed with emotions," she said. "I just teared up right away. I couldn't even look at the video; I just had to hear his voice." pic.twitter.com/BBTinlOzRs— Todd Milewski (@ToddMilewski) October 5, 2019
- The men’s and women’s cross country teams had a race at South Bend, Ind. over the weekend.
Women’s individual results from the Joe Piane Invitational pic.twitter.com/uicgspQm05— Wisconsin Track & Field (@BadgerTrackXC) October 4, 2019
(Everything else I saw online said that Monson finished second in the race, so maybe that’s a typo. I find that highly plausible since the graphic also says that Notre Dame is in South Bend, Wisconsin.)
Men’s individual results from the Joe Piane Invitational pic.twitter.com/sbQdB1s0mA— Wisconsin Track & Field (@BadgerTrackXC) October 4, 2019
- Good to see former Badger basketball great, Jordan Taylor, doing well over in Europe.
Looks like @JMTaylor11 has his hips working again‼️ pic.twitter.com/zCVQfXkcqX— Reid Ouse (@reidouse) October 4, 2019
- Jonathan Taylor was out there on Saturday afternoon straight up retiring dudes.
Jonathan Taylor snatching souls. @BadgerFootball pic.twitter.com/0oHWoTlpHE— Nate Tice (@Nate_Tice) October 5, 2019
Jonathan Taylor put together a SPECIAL performance on Saturday. pic.twitter.com/fq0NKNE0dy— PFF College (@PFF_College) October 6, 2019
- Rock will have much more on the volleyball team’s excellent week, but here is a fun fact to hold you over until then.
Coming into tonight, Nebraska was 299-0 under John Cook when hitting above .300.— Jacob Padilla (@JacobPadilla_) October 6, 2019
Make that 299-1 now. https://t.co/AB6nSzz3bI
- Badgers in the NHL already making highlight reels.
Jake Gardiner's first goal with the #Canes?— Carolina Hurricanes (@Canes) October 6, 2019
An OT winner with under a minute left pic.twitter.com/AGZ06y0clh
- Badgers in the NFL are also making highlight reels, although they may not necessarily be the focus of them.
Look at former #Badgers FB @AI_XLV getting Khalil Mack on the ground and clearing the way. pic.twitter.com/gyHcMtQ7wd— Zach Heilprin (@ZachHeilprin) October 6, 2019
- Walk-on, in-state, transfer safety kicks the game-winning field goal for Nebraska. That’s pretty cool.
- The men’s hockey Nittany Lions won their opening exhibition game, 5-0.
- Flat Stanley goes to Ann Arbor.
- Northwestern’s defense should see if they can play the rest of the season by themselves and ship the offense to Abu Dhabi.
- When will the cowards at FOX Sports put a B5Q tweet on the air? WE HAVE SO MANY AVERAGE ONES TO CHOOSE FROM!
- Rutgers should take their time finding the next man to lead the football team.
- Maryland should have a good basketball team this year. Here is Testudo Times’ first player preview: Anthony Cowan Jr.
- The Terps lost yet another QB to injury in their blowout of Rutgers.
- Illinois fans have had it HAD IT with Lovie Smith.
- MSU received a verbal commitment from a 2020 4-star guard. AJ Hoggard attends school at Huntington Prep in West Virginia, but is from my hometown of Wayne, Pennsylvania! I’m sorry I couldn’t direct him to Wisconsin.