Good morning! This is going to be a daily(ish) post that discusses the goings on of the rest of the Big Ten Conference, and the country as needed. Much like the European Union, the Big Ten is a loosely confederated group of entities that sometimes have the same goals (like free movement of people between countries or not winning national titles in football or basketball) and sometimes accept new members that they later regret (Estonia or Rutgers).
We hope that you will use this post to comment on things happening around the conference and also as a sort of daily open thread to discuss breaking news or argue about Spotted Cow.
- It may be a bye week for the football team, but that does not mean that there is nothing to write about here. For instance, did you know that the Badgers men’s basketball team has their first exhibition game on Friday????
It's game week in Madison! We've got an exhibition on Friday night.— Wisconsin Basketball (@BadgerMBB) October 28, 2019
Wisconsin vs. UW-La Crosse
Tip 7pm at the Kohl Center
Coach Gard previews this year's Badgers and our matchup Fridayhttps://t.co/Gfsf36xdNP
We are finishing up our previews of every single team that the Badgers are playing this year on Friday and we will also have positional breakdowns for you later in the week as well as one, final roundtable which will discuss the national college basketball landscape.
#Badgers G.Gard on M.Potter "We’ll continue to push it because we think it is the right thing to do and it is the just thing to do. In the day of student-athlete welfare, all the things that are being done, the right thing to do is to allow him to play."— Jeff Potrykus (@jaypo1961) October 28, 2019
Greg Gard says they haven't heard back from the NCAA on their request for reconsideration on Micah Potter. Says there is growing frustration, especially with all the other waivers being granted.— Zach Heilprin (@ZachHeilprin) October 28, 2019
The Badgers played Iowa State in a “secret” scrimmage but we won’t be getting a box score. Let’s just say that they tied 69-69.
There was no box score released from Wisconsin's scrimmage with Iowa State. Said it was a mutual decision between the two schools.— Zach Heilprin (@ZachHeilprin) October 28, 2019
Gard: "What happens in Cedar Rapids, stays in Cedar Rapids."
- I’m really excited to tell you that we’ll be having a Q&A posted on Wednesday afternoon with the lead hockey writer from Black Shoe Diaries to help us preview the PSU/UW series this weekend. Hopefully Alex Turcotte is back in action because the power play struggled without him against Clarkson.
Alex Turcotte was back at practice this morning as the #Badgers started a short week leading up to games Thursday and Friday at Penn State. pic.twitter.com/6G9f6yzkdy— Todd Milewski (@ToddMilewski) October 28, 2019
- Bucci Mane is still high on the Badgers.
NEW 2019 BucciMane #CawlidgeHawkey Top 16— Bucci Mane (@Buccigross) October 28, 2019
2 Minnesota St
4 Minnesota Duluth
8 Notre Dame
11 Ohio St
13 North Dakota
14 Boston College
15 Penn St
16 Northern Michigan pic.twitter.com/GiTqJvZLUa
- Fucking Bill C., man. He doesn’t listen to nobody!
You can't tell me what to do.https://t.co/D30TQIpzYv pic.twitter.com/Zw6w8EXiFB— Bill Connelly (@ESPN_BillC) October 28, 2019
- Good luck to Traevon Jackson as he continues his NBA journey.
The @WisconsinHerd announced their Training Camp roster today. Among those invited for a local tryout is former @BadgerMBB standout Traevon Jackson. pic.twitter.com/6JDMRJR2vF— Stephen Watson (@WISN_Watson) October 28, 2019
- I will be in attendance for the first game of this HUGE Border Battle series, and hopefully the second one but we’ll see, and can’t wait to see Daryl Watts snipe corners in person.
#BorderBattle week mood#OnWisconsin pic.twitter.com/IGG5buG3Ee— Wisconsin Hockey (@BadgerWHockey) October 28, 2019
- It’s senior night for the men’s soccer team on Wednesday night. They’ve had a rough go this year and have been ravaged by injuries, so hopefully they are able to send their seniors off with a win.
Senior Night comes to McClimon in two days! Join us for a night of #Badgers soccer and the 2019 home finale!! pic.twitter.com/vz95rLUsQI— Wisconsin Soccer (@BadgerMSoccer) October 28, 2019
- Trophy SZN is starting in one week.
‼️ It's trophy season ‼️— Wisconsin Football (@BadgerFootball) October 28, 2019
We're coming home and ready to fight for the Heartland. Game time vs. Iowa is set for 3 p.m. CT at Camp Randall.#OnWisconsin
️ https://t.co/Gi8wqUvXdJ pic.twitter.com/LuW81iOpBc
- Iowa’s offense isn’t great, but they may have found a spark that will help them in the last month of the season.
- I love Mike Watkins and his mustache. As you were.
- There is some SPICY BEEF brewing between Indiana and Nebraska, let me tell you what. I’ll just link to both the articles because I don’t want to mess anything up. Here is Crimson Quarry’s reporting on why IU was extra pumped to beat Nebraska. And here’s Corn Nation saying, well, I’m not sure what they’re saying but they don’t think the beef is that spicy.
- Yeah, Chase Young is probably the best player in the country. I’d agree with that take.
- Northwestern stinks this year. BUT! They still have something to play for.
- Minnesota and Penn State are playing at 11 a.m. and people are mad.
- It would be pretty funny if Illinois lost to Rutgers...just saying.
- What are people saying about the Maryland hoops team? Lots of good stuff!