Good morning! This is going to be a daily(ish) post that discusses the goings on of the rest of the Big Ten Conference, and the country as needed. Much like the European Union, the Big Ten is a loosely confederated group of entities that sometimes have the same goals (like free movement of people between countries or not winning national titles in football or basketball) and sometimes accept new members that they later regret (Estonia or Rutgers).
We hope that you will use this post to comment on things happening around the conference and also as a sort of daily open thread to discuss breaking news or argue about Spotted Cow.
- The women’s basketball team is not in the top tier of the B1G and they probably aren’t in the second tier either, but they are getting a lot better! Last season was a big improvement and there is momentum on the recruiting trail too. Here is an interview with head coach Jonathan Tsipis from BTN on Tuesday.
- The women’s soccer team had a draw and a win over the weekend and remained in the top-10 too.
- A fourth place showing at the Nuttycombe Invitational over the weekend kept the women’s cross country team in the top-10 as well.
USTFCCCA Women’s #ncaaXC National Coaches’ Poll: Week #5— NCAA Track & Field (@NCAATrackField) October 22, 2019
6. NC State
9. Michigan State
10. Florida State
Complete Poll: https://t.co/UdmlUm55AQ pic.twitter.com/VbNH5qrQGW
- The B1G is a wealthy league filled with wealthy member institutions. It is no surprise that Paul Chryst is No. 25 in the nation but No. 9 in the conference.
Where B1G coach salaries rank per @usatodaysports (millions):— Dustin Schutte (@SchutteCFB) October 22, 2019
3. Harbaugh $7.50
8. Brohm $6.6
11. Franklin $5.65
12. Fitzgerald $5.14
14. Frost $5.0
18. Ferentz $4.8
22. Day $4.5
24. Dantonio $4.4
25. Chryst $4.15
29. Smith $4.0
37. Fleck $3.6
57. Locksley $2.5
71. Allen $1.8
Depending on how the rest of this season goes, you’d have to expect P.J. Fleck to be getting a raise if the Gophers want to hang on to him.
- Let’s hope Montee Ball knows something we don’t.
Badgers gotta best Ohio St this weekend. I mean they must. And I actually believe they will. I’m going all in on JT having his Heisman moment this weekend. 163 yards, 2 touchdowns rushing ,1 TD receiving. Remember it— Montee Ball (@MonteeBall28) October 22, 2019
- If you want a paragraph about EVERY SINGLE TEAM in men’s college basketball, here ya go.
IT’S HERE— Matt Norlander (@MattNorlander) October 22, 2019
My annual energetic/psychotic/encyclopedic/borderline-intergalactic ranking of every team in college basketball, from No. 1 to No. 353, with a write-up on every single freakin’ school. Enjoy! https://t.co/y8jJVeGQ2c
- Thoughts on a Wisconsin-Florida home and home for football? I think it would be AWESOME, but I’ve always wanted to drive a fan boat into the side of a building and Florida is THE place for that.
- The Badgers are lucky to have her.
- Some Ohio State news ahead of the huge game on Saturday.
The Buckeyes offense is confident heading into a showdown with the excellent Wisconsin defense.
Head coach Ryan Day previews the Badgers.
Land-Grant Holy Land’s preview of the Wisconsin offensive players to watch.
- The Penn State hockey team does a White Out game too?
- There a shit load of graphs and charts here comparing Nebraska’s team this year to Nebraska’s team last year. If that’s something you’re into.
- What will the Michigan basketball team look like with Juwan Howard at the helm?
- A breakdown of the divisional races in the B1G.
- Minnesota hoops beat Iowa State in one of those scrimmages that happen and are supposed to be secret (I thought?) but everyone still knows about them.
- Can Illinois build on a program altering win?
- Preseason No. 1 Michigan State has already received some tough injury news. Senior guard Joshua Langford is out for at least two months.