Good morning! This is going to be a daily(ish) post that discusses the goings on of the rest of the Big Ten Conference, and the country as needed. Much like the European Union, the Big Ten is a loosely confederated group of entities that sometimes have the same goals (like free movement of people between countries or not winning national titles in football or basketball) and sometimes accept new members that they later regret (Estonia or Rutgers).
We hope that you will use this post to comment on things happening around the conference and also as a sort of daily open thread to discuss breaking news or argue about Spotted Cow.
- Somehow seeing the game broken down by nerdy stats nerds makes it even worse!
ILLINOIS 24, WISCONSIN 23— Bill Connelly (@ESPN_BillC) October 21, 2019
* TOs + big plays + unexpected red zone success = solid recipe for a big upset
* UW's offense is 6th in pts per scoring opp this year (5.8/opp), and Illinois' D is 51st (4.3). But UW avg'd 2.9 per opp. Fickle!
* Holding J. Taylor to <40% SR: impressive pic.twitter.com/HJts3kKuX1
Just kidding Bill C.! We still love you!
The Illini win over Wisconsin is still baffling, days later:— Mike Hall (@BTNMikeHall) October 21, 2019
Illinois never ran a play in the red zone the whole game.
Illinois had way less total yards.
Illinois had the ball only 19 minutes.
As @RIP_JEP said to me it was just about amazing timing of the 3-4 very big plays.
- At least Jonathan Taylor is still awesome.
B1G rushing leaders through Week 8 (yards):— Dustin Schutte (@SchutteCFB) October 20, 2019
J. Taylor, Wisconsin: 957
J. Dobbins, Ohio St.: 947
R. Smith, Minnesota: 786
S. Scott, Indiana: 553
M. Teague, Ohio St.: 512
- I’d suggest getting out to the Kohl Center for this weekend’s games against No. 13 Clarkson. Unlike Texas football, Wisconsin hockey is back!
This past weekend at the Kohl Center— Wisconsin Hockey (@BadgerMHockey) October 21, 2019
☑ Over 23,000 hockey fans
☑ Scouts from 24 NHL teams
☑ Media from all over the continent
☑ Our 10 millionth fan
☑ Sweep 2X NCAA champs
America's College Hockey Capital pic.twitter.com/mbwZ59iByc
- Our boy, and potential future quarterback, Cole Caufield is now certifiably an international phenomenon.
Top searched players from the past week on https://t.co/7nIO81Rewd— HockeyDB (@hockey_db) October 21, 2019
1. Cole Caufield
2. Connor McDavid
3. Nico Hischier
4. Jack Hughes
5. Ryan Poehling
6. Sidney Crosby
7. Alex Ovechkin
8. Alexis Lafreniere
9. James Neal
10. Victor Mete
I went to Madison to see Cole Caufield plays. @TonyGranato was on fire comparing the kid's shot to Brett Hull's, Steven Stamkos' and Alex Ovechkin's. But he was right. Caufield lauches rockets. You can read my paper (in French) here. https://t.co/0HeArLCqSo— Jonathan Bernier (@JBernierJDM) October 20, 2019
Anybody know French?
- If you were looking for a hockey program to join, why wouldn’t you give a long, hard look to Wisconsin?
Look who’s in the TOP spot at #1. @BadgerMHockey @UWBadgers Thanks @TheHockeyNews https://t.co/KC3KlW2nS5— Mark Osiecki (@Osiecki24) October 21, 2019
- Way to shoot your shot, band guy.
Im flattered buttt... I’m taken haha https://t.co/Yjo02XFgbg— M.E. Dodge (@Mdodge19volley) October 20, 2019
- Chris Orr keeps winning weekly awards. That’ll happen when you keep recording multiple sacks in a game.
Wisconsin LB Chris Orr is our TDN Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week. #OnWisconsin | @Chris_Guwap | @BadgerFootball pic.twitter.com/wm1FLqQiwA— The Draft Network (@DraftNetworkLLC) October 21, 2019
- Rose Lavelle is in Madison!?!? I’d tell her to stop by the Bucky’s 5th Quarter office but, well, I live in Minnesota and I don’t know where Bob lives.
We assume Rose is smiling because she’s back in Madison and was named a nominee for the 2019 Ballon d'Or! #OnWisconsin pic.twitter.com/sRyVMDzI5F— Wisconsin Soccer (@BadgerWSoccer) October 21, 2019
- I hope they start decorating the helmet they, presumably, give out to the player of the game. Kinda boring IMO.
Long Island was a great place for this group!— Wisconsin Hockey (@BadgerWHockey) October 21, 2019
Five different #Badgers scored their first collegiate goals over the weekend against the Sharks! pic.twitter.com/7UsOd2R8XP
- The coaches and the media only pick a top-five in the preseason, and the Badgers were not a part of either. Maryland’s Kaila Charles was picked as preseason player of the year by both the coaches and the media.
.@umdwbb tops the coaches and media 2019-20 Big Ten women's basketball preseason poll. #B1GWBBall pic.twitter.com/5qfSdngJ8q— Big Ten Women's Hoops (@B1Gwbball) October 21, 2019
- The Badgers aren’t the only team that can land a pair of twins in basketball recruiting. Iowa got a double commitment over the weekend from twin brothers who are currently taking a post-grad year at a school in Florida.
- B1G basketball predictions from Corn Nation. They are all over the place after predicting Michigan State to win the conference.
- Troubled Nebraska running back, Maurice Washington, is finally not playing football for the Huskers. Scott Frost gave some vague answers about why and hasn’t ruled out the possibility of Washington rejoining the team.
Scott Frost's full comments regarding #Huskers RB Maurice Washington, who 'is not a part of the team,' currently and won't play against Indiana, but hasn't been dismissed, isn't necessarily suspended indefinitely and is in class at NU "as far as I know." https://t.co/HEI3kACXFD— Parker Gabriel (@HuskerExtraPG) October 21, 2019
- Stud freshman wing Franz Wagner will be out four to six weeks with a wrist fracture for Michigan.
- I am praying for Jack Coan’s safety every day as he will line up opposite Chase Young for four quarters on Saturday. How is Young staying focused with the prospects of being selected in the first round of the NFL Draft over his head?
- This is undeniably awesome. Go Casey O’Brien and go Gophers.
- We can all thank ::checks notes:: Peyton Ramsey (????) for keeping #9WINDIANA alive.