Good morning! This is going to be a daily(ish) post that discusses the goings on of the rest of the Big Ten Conference, and the country as needed. Much like the European Union, the Big Ten is a loosely confederated group of entities that sometimes have the same goals (like free movement of people between countries or not winning national titles in football or basketball) and sometimes accept new members that they later regret (Estonia or Rutgers).
We hope that you will use this post to comment on things happening around the conference and also as a sort of daily open thread to discuss breaking news or argue about Spotted Cow.
- Nine years ago yesterday!
One of the loudest stadiums I've ever been in that night, as #Badgers took down No. 1. https://t.co/lYDoKc4bSA— Adam Rittenberg (@ESPNRittenberg) October 16, 2019
- Just in case you needed more stats to prove what you already know, that the Badgers defense is No. 1, here you go.
STOP RATE!— Max Olson (@max_olson) October 16, 2019
Wrote about the dominance of @BadgerFootball defense. It's not just the scoring. They're No. 1 in run D, completion %, third downs, explosive plays, time of possession. They're doing *everything* right.
Full FBS stop rate standings: https://t.co/GOGwtiEEdK pic.twitter.com/RQPWAwI7jk
- $1 tickets to see the No. 10 team in the country ball Iowa up and toss them in a waste paper basket? Almost worth the gas from Minneapolis for me.
Ranked 1⃣0⃣th in the country ✅— Wisconsin Soccer (@BadgerWSoccer) October 16, 2019
Undefeated in conference play ✅
Best ever start to Big Ten play ✅
$1⃣ admission for wearing pink ✅
Get to McClimon tomorrow for a big game!! pic.twitter.com/2lqJ27LVMz
- Looks like Greg Gard has a plan for Micah Potter’s absence now.
They're @UWBadgers student-athletes, and they're friends.— Wisconsin On BTN (@WisconsinOnBTN) October 16, 2019
That gave @Meesh_McMahon the idea of having @braddavi34 & @dana_rettke face off in a fun feature.
(Spoiler: The 6-8 @BadgerVB star stuffs the @BadgerMBB G.) pic.twitter.com/2Y0oy7i4yX
- Urban Meyer is a reprehensible person. This is an extremely interesting breakdown of the Wisconsin passing attack, however.
Everybody knows about the powerful @BadgerFootball rushing attack.— Wisconsin On BTN (@WisconsinOnBTN) October 15, 2019
So we had @CoachUrbanMeyer explain how Wisconsin's passing game has opened up the playbook: pic.twitter.com/EBKcmmmxR5
- Home opener Friday night for the men’s hockey team. Doesn’t get much bigger than welcoming the defending champs to the Kohl Center.
Nothing better than playing at the Kohl Center!!! pic.twitter.com/8MEcghzvoI— Wisconsin Hockey (@BadgerMHockey) October 16, 2019
- The Badgers are hosting one of the premier cross country meets of the season on Friday.
72 teams. 42 schools. 39 top 30 teams. 2 Wisconsin Badger teams. 1 premiere cross country meet-11th annual Nuttycombe Wisconsin Invitational. Be there. pic.twitter.com/aZYNoNMKT0— Wisconsin Track & Field (@BadgerTrackXC) October 15, 2019
@BadgerTrackXC is about to be Friday!!— Coach Matthew Harmeyer (@MatthewHarmeyer) October 17, 2019
Men’s @USTFCCCA ranked teams competing:
1, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18, 19, 20, 22, 23, 25, 26, 28, 30
Women’s @USTFCCCA ranked teams competing:
1, T4, 6, 9, 10, 11, 13, 14, 15, 16, T18, 21, 22, 24, 25, 27, 28, 29
⚒ ♀️ ♂️
Last year both teams had the race winner with the women’s team placing sixth overall and the men’s team placing second.
- We talked to The Champaign Room this week, post coming later today, about Lovie Smith’s job and everyone seems to be in agreement that he probably shouldn’t have it for much longer.
Notwithstanding the headline these are classic "he's already basically fired" quotes https://t.co/l34rpGSUJw— Steve (@IlliniToffee) October 17, 2019
- Here is TCR’s scouting report of the Badgers.
- Iowa midseason grades.
- Corn Nation’s preview of B1G basketball continues with the middle part of the conference. They have the Badgers in this part which seems completely reasonable.
- A cool breakdown of how Purdue’s bad defense is trying to be, well, not so bad.
- Big time basketball recruit, Isaiah Todd, is making his college decision on Thursday. He’s down to Michigan or Kansas.
- Preview of Ohio State/Northwestern. A game that many Badger fans will be watching due to the fact that we are all allowed to look ahead to next week.
- Speaking of which, that game has been moved to BTN on Friday night due to ALCS Game 4 being postponed. So, FS1 will have the baseball game, FOX will have WWE Smackdown and BTN will have NU/OSU. I’m sure Jim Delany loves having his games bounced around like this. FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS BABY!
- Maryland senior CB Tino Ellis is out for the season with an upper body injury.
- Midseason grades for the Gophers defense and special teams.