It is almost the start of week two of the college football season, but for Wisconsin Badgers fans enjoying a long Labor Day weekend, maybe you’re just catching up with some of the coverage here at B5Q and beyond.
Owen highlighted multiple topics from Friday night, including the play of tight end Jake Ferguson, and I broke down the defense’s solid first effort along with diving into our second B5Q5Q column of the season. Be sure to check out our post-game podcast that was recorded at 2 a.m. CT in the morning on Saturday, because we put in [cue Deadpool voice] maximum effort.
Here’s more from this weekend on the Badgers’ win:
- Badgers cornerbacks moving on from Dontye Carreire-Williams’ departure | Wisconsin State Journal, Jason Galloway
After the game, Galloway spoke with some of Wisconsin’s secondary regarding the redshirt sophomore leaving the program. Redshirt sophomore cornerback Caesar Williams said the following:
“I’m very close with Dontye, and I thought he would tell me something like that,” Williams said after Friday’s game. “I felt a little hurt. We talk about everything, off the field, on the field, we’ll go out to eat and just sit down and talk. Him leaving is a big shock to me. ... It hurts our heart. I know he loves this place. He loved to play for this place. So when I get a chance to talk to him, I’ll just give him encouragement and wish the best for him.”
B5Q spoke with a couple of the younger defensive backs Saturday morning after the game, and we’ll try to get those into a story this week.
- Wisconsin 34, Western Kentucky 3: What we saw: Zach Heilprin, WOZN/MadCitySportsZone.com
- Wisconsin’s defense steps up in opener: Danny Cunningham, WOZN/MadCitySportsZone.com
- Badgers get creative after injuries leave them shorthanded at tight end; Jim Polzin, Wisconsin State Journal
- Film Analysis: TE Jake Ferguson showcases impressive skill set in Wisconsin debut: Jesse Temple, The Athletic
- Wisconsin defense answers lingering questions in Friday night rout of Western Kentucky: Jesse Temple, The Athletic
- Upon further review: UW coaches will see enough miscues to grab players’ attention: Jeff Potrykus, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
- Notes: UW kicker Rafael Gaglianone goes 2 for 2 and has made 28 of last 31 field-goal attempts: Jeff Potrykus, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
- UW 34, Western Kentucky 3: Strong defense early allows the offense to overcome its sluggish start: Jeff Potrykus, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
- From The Box: Badgers Show Potential In 2018 Debut: John Veldhuis, BadgerBlitz.com
- Wisconsin National Title Hype Not Diminishing: Ben Worgull, BadgerInsider