clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Wisconsin WR Quintez Cephus to stand trial after preliminary hearing on Tuesday

Cephus’s motion to dismiss the second-degree sexual assault charge was denied.

NCAA Football: Maryland at Wisconsin Jeff Hanisch-USA TODAY Sports

Suspended Wisconsin wide receiver Quintez Cephus is expected to stand trial following a preliminary hearing that took place Tuesday.

The Wisconsin State Journal’s Ed Treleven and WOZN’s Zach Heilprin both reported that the motion from Cephus’s attorneys to dismiss the second-degree sexual assault charge was denied.

Treleven detailed the proceedings, noting a significant amount of time in court was centered on the discussion and ultimate resolution of the requested motion:

But most of the two hours spent in court was to decide a defense motion to dismiss the more serious of the two charges against him -- second-degree sexual assault of an intoxicated person. Dane County Circuit Judge Jill Karofsky ultimately denied the motion, finding that evidence that Cephus’ lawyers wanted her to consider only created inferences about the case that conflict with the evidence that prosecutors have so far put forth. Any competing inferences, she said, weigh in favor of the prosecution at this stage of the case, Karofsky said.

”Applying the law, I do not believe the complaint should be dismissed,” Karofsky said. “I do not believe you have met the requisite burden.”

During the hearing, which Treleven called “brief,” Madison police detective Julie Johnson was called for testimony.

The two charges—second-degree sexual assault of an intoxicated victim and a third-degree sexual assault—were filed back in late August stemming from an April 22 incident that was detailed in a criminal complaint. Cephus has been suspended from the team since.

Also named in the criminal complaint was wide receiver Danny Davis, who was suspended two games by Wisconsin. Heading into UW’s game against BYU this weekend, Davis is back on the two-deep and eligible to play.

Cephus spoke to reporters after the hearing: