Big Ten Conference action kicks back up next week for the No. 15 Wisconsin Badgers, but before that, Greg Gard’s squad takes a trip to Bowling Green as it faces the Western Kentucky Hilltoppers on Saturday.
Wisconsin (10-2, 2-0 Big Ten) comes off a weeklong break after defeating Grambling State on Dec. 22.
Itself a victor last Saturday at home, Western Kentucky (6-6) was voted by Conference USA coaches to win the conference this season. Head coach Rick Stansbury successfully recruited five-star center Charles Bassey to the Hilltoppers program, and the true freshman has been quite productive through a dozen games.
There is a Wisconsin connection to WKU, as assistant coach Hennssy Auriantal played at UW as a guard from 1995-99. Redshirt senior guard Lamonte Bearden also is a Milwaukee native.
Wisconsin leads the all-time series 2-0, with the Badgers winning a close 81-80 battle at the Kohl Center last year.
When and where is the game?
Wisconsin and Western Kentucky will tip off at 4:30 p.m. CT at the E.A. Diddle Arena in Bowling Green, Ky.
How can I watch?
The game will be broadcast on CBS Sports Network with Carter Blackburn and Pete Gillen.
How can I listen to it on the radio?
On the Badger Sports Network, where you’ll find the team of Matt Lepay and Mike Lucas. Head to BadgerSportsNetwork.com to find it. You can also listen on iHeartRadio (iOS/Android/desktop) by searching “WIBA.”
- Redshirt sophomore guard D’Mitrik Trice: 15.9 points per game, 3.8 rebounds per game, 2.8 assists per game; third in nation in shooting three-pointers at 53.7 percent (36 of 67)
- Senior forward Khalil Iverson: 4.8 points per game, 4.9 rebounds per game, 1.1 assists per game
- Redshirt senior forward Ethan Happ: 19.2 points per game, 10.6 rebounds per game. 5.0 assists per game
- Sophomore guard Brad Davison: 9.2 points per game, 2.7 rebounds per game, 1.8 assists per game
- Sophomore forward Nate Reuvers: 7.4 points per game, 2.5 rebounds per game, 1.1 assists per game
Western Kentucky team stats
- Points per game: 72.8
- Opponents’ points per game: 73.6
- Field goal percentage: 45.2 (304-of-673)
- Opponent field goal percentage: 44.5 (321-of-721)
- Three-point percentage: 34.8 (63-of-181)
- Free throw percentage: 72.7 (202-for-278)
- NCAA NET ranking: 148
- KenPom.com team rank: 120
- KenPom.com adjusted offensive efficiency: 105.8 (110th in the nation)
- KenPom.com adjusted defensive efficiency: 100.9 (132nd in the nation)
- Freshman guard Dalano Banton: 4.1 points per game; 3.0 rebounds per game; 27 assists in 12 games
- Sophomore guard Taveion Hollingsworth: 15.4 points per game; 5.1 rebounds per game; 32 assists in 12 games; scored in double digits in 10 of 12 games
- Sophomore guard Josh Anderson: 8.7 points per game; 2.8 rebounds per game
- Redshirt junior guard/forward Jared Savage: 14.7 points per game; 3.9 rebounds per game
- Freshman center Charles Bassey: 14.2 points per game; 9.3 rebounds per game; team-high 29 blocks in 12 games