MADISON—Monday’s practice brought a hint more physicality as the Wisconsin Badgers donned their “half-pack” as they continue to prepare for the 2017 season.
“Half-pack” is a term used just for helmets, shoulder pads, and shorts. According to a UW official, it appears Saturday will be the day the team fully suits up for the first time of fall camp.
Wisconsin practiced more skelly and team drills during its third practice of camp inside Camp Randall Stadium, along with early position and special teams work.
The skelly work on Monday appeared to fare better for starting quarterback Alex Hornibrook. The redshirt sophomore completed six of eight passes in that modified team activity, including a nice throw to tight end Troy Fumagalli.
During the team drills, the “first-team” defense and its non-starting contributors looked up to the part and, in my opinion, a little better than their offensive counterparts. Again, it is extremely early and there were players moving on and off the field. One play that stood out from the defense was redshirt senior outside linebacker Garret Dooley sniffing out a Jazz Peavy end-around/reverse.
I had Hornibrook with around nine to 10 completions, with BadgerBlitz.com’s John Veldhuis having the southpaw at 10-of-20 during the team portion.
Jeremy Patterson leaves Wisconsin
The redshirt junior nose tackle has been granted his release from the program, a UW official confirmed to B5Q on Monday afternoon. BadgerBlitz.com’s John Veldhuis and BadgerNation.com’s Ben Worgull first reported Patterson’s release.
Patterson played in four games for the Badgers, two each during the 2015 and 2016 seasons. The former three-star recruit was passed by the likes of junior Olive Sagapolu and sophomore Garrett Rand on the depth chart in recent years.
- Safety Joe Ferguson had a couple of nice plays this afternoon, including an interception of Karé Lyles and nearly another one on a diving attempt. The redshirt senior and former walk-on could be depended upon as a reliable back-up in his final year in Madison.
- From the infirmary: Deron Harrell (left shoulder) and Scott Nelson (left leg) were out for Monday’s practice. It’s unknown for how long they will remain on the sidelines, but the two appeared to work with training staff.
- Senior cornerback Derrick Tindal lined up at wide receiver for what looked like a few reps during a position drill, catching a deep pass down the right sideline from Hornibrook before reeling in a short pass thereafter. Throughout fall camp, he has worn a grey-ish black jersey, though the intent behind that remains unconfirmed. Him playing on both sides of the ball may infer why.
- During team drills, redshirt freshman Dontye Carriere-Williams received reps as the nickel back with the “first-team” defense. It appeared he mostly played inside slot from what I saw.
- Two true freshmen wide receivers had a couple of nice plays. Cade Green caught two passes (one diving) in team drills at the end of practice, while Emmet Perry had a diving reception on a Lyles pass during skelly.