The Wisconsin Badgers welcomed seven mid-year enrollees to their football program, the athletic department announced via Twitter on Wednesday afternoon. As the players are now on campus, they will be able to practice and condition with the team.
Athlete Deron Harrell was a member of the class of 2016 but greyshirted, meaning he did not enroll in the fall but would join the program starting in the spring semester. He could play either wide receiver or cornerback.
The son of former Florida State Seminole Damian Harrell, the 6’3, 175-pound commit originally committed to Wisconsin back in late January of last year. He was rated as a three-star recruit by 247Sports’ composite rankings.
Six of the seven players are for the incoming class of 2017, part of the 16 known Wisconsin verbal commitments as of time of publishing. They include the following:
- Sayville, N.Y., quarterback Jack Coan – three-star commit according to 247Sports composite rankings (four star by Rivals); No. 21 pro-style quarterback in the nation (No. 12 by Rivals); No. 3 player in state of New York (No. 237 nationally by Rivals)
- East Forsyth, N.C., cornerback Madison Cone – three-star commit according to 247Sports composite rankings; No. 128 cornerback in the nation
- Bolingbrook, Ill., defensive end/outside linebacker Izayah Green-May – three-star commit according to 247Sports composite rankings; No. 37 weak-side defensive end in the nation
- Pembroke Pines, Fla. cornerback Faion Hicks – three-star commit according to 247Sports composite rankings; No. 181 cornerback in the nation
- Middleton, Wis. offensive lineman Kayden Lyles – four-star commit; No. 12 offensive guard in the nation according to 247Sports composite rankings; No. 211 overall (No. 149 overall by Rivals); No. 1 player in the state of Wisconsin
- Rock Valley, Ia., outside linebacker Andrew Van Ginkel – junior college transfer from Iowa Western Community College; three-star commit according to 247Sports composite rankings(four-star by Rivals)
Lyles joins his older brother, quarterback Kare’, as early enrollees. Kare’ joined the team in spring 2016. Both are sons of former Wisconsin tight end Kevin Lyles.
Mid-year enrollees in recent years who have found significant time on the playing field include quarterbacks Joel Stave and Alex Hornibrook, offensive linemen Jon Dietzen and Michael Deiter, tight end Kyle Penniston and cornerback Sojourn Shelton.
Check in with B5Q for their full recruiting profiles and more news as we approach National Signing Day on Wednesday, Feb. 1.