No. 3 seed Wisconsin defeated Howard University 25-11, 25-18, 25-10 on Thursday at the Field House to advance in the NCAA tournament. The Badgers hit a blistering .402 for the match, including .452 in the first set.
All-Big Ten senior middle blocker Haleigh Nelson (11 kills, .733) and Big Ten Freshman of the Year Molly Haggerty (16 kills, .500) led the way on offense for the Badgers. Junior outside hitter Kelli Bates had 14 digs and senior All Big Ten setter Lauren Carlini posted a 41-assist, 10-dig line.
WATCH highlights from tonight's first-round NCAA win over Howard tonight! https://t.co/0PYpWgxdbr— Wisconsin Volleyball (@BadgerVB) December 2, 2016
Wisconsin advances to play Washington State on Friday at the Field House. The Cougars knocked off Marquette University 3-1 on Thursday. As the No. 3 seed in the tournament, the Badgers will host third/fourth-round games on Dec. 9 and 10 if they advance past this weekend.
Around the (tournament-bound) Big Ten
- No. 1 seed Nebraska: Plays New Hampshire on Friday in Lincoln.
- No. 2 seed Minnesota: Plays North Dakota on Friday in Minneapolis.
- No. 9 seed Michigan State: Plays Fairfield on Friday in East Lansing.
- No. 12 seed Michigan: Defeated American 3-0 in Ann Arbor; plays Oregon on Friday.
- No. 16 seed Penn State: Plays LIU Brooklyn on Friday in University Park.
- Ohio State: Plays Missouri State on Friday in Manhattan, Kan.
- Purdue: Defeated Iowa State 3-0 in Columbia, Mo.; plays No. 15 seed Missouri on Friday.