With the news of the Wisconsin Badgers (9-3, 6-2) accepting the invitation to the 2015 Holiday Bowl to play against their Pac-12 foe in USC (8-5, 6-3) at Qualcomm Stadium, UW head coach Paul Chryst spoke with media during a teleconference on Friday.
Despite a five-minute interruption due to a different feed, presumably a BTN feed or some Outback Bowl conference call, Chryst discussed the match-up, and is eager to look at the team's opponent coming up in a few weeks.Just because it's not a New Year's Day bowl doesn't mean the team's not excited for their match-up with a traditional college powerhouse.
Here are some of the highlights from Chryst's teleconference:
- Chryst opened up a statement, noting the team's excited to play USC
- Then came the interruption feed, but was fixed after a few minutes
- On if the players will be "amped" knowing they'll play a program like USC, Chryst said the players will be excited no matter who they played
- If not being in a New Year's Day bowl game means anything to the team at all or if playing USC, "Guys are excited," Chryst said. "The Holiday Bowl is a big time bowl, and it's a big-time team that also has some great tradition. Our guys are excited and I wouldn't agree with it being somehow diminished feelings that it's not a Jan. 1 game. I think that you always earn the right to get in the bowl you do. I know our guys are excited and appreciate what was put into getting there. What an opportunity to try to finish the season off playing a great team like USC."
- With extra time for bowl prep, Chryst mentioned it'd be interesting to get healthier, and hopefully with a group like the offensive linemen, who've started seven different combinations in 12 games, to get some work together.
- In regards to junior running back Corey Clement and whether Chryst has made a decision if he'll play in the bowl game, the head coach said a decision hadn't been made yet. "Corey's going to practice. If he's good to go, he'll play," Chryst said.
- Chryst mentioned he's excited to watch film on USC and seeing the match-ups between the two teams. Says the Trojans are really talented and that "they're a heck of a team."