The Wisconsin Badgers landed themselves an exciting commitment on Monday when Owings Mills (McDonogh School), Md., four-star safety Eric Burrell became the 21st verbal commitment for UW's class of 2016. 247Sports.com's Evan Flood first reported Burrell's commitment.
Burrell had a top five that also include Boston College, Duke, Nebraska and Syracuse. Duke was initially the favorite, but momentum started shifting the Badgers' way after he visited Madison during the Oct. 3 Iowa game and the Blue Devils landed a commitment from another defensive back, Javon Jackson. Burrell also had offers from Arizona, Iowa, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, Virginia and Virginia Tech.
Patrick Johnson II (@PjohnsonII) October 12, 2015
Wisconsin secondary gonna be sick next year ⚪️ ⚪️ #LOB— ImDatDude (@C_PERSONALITY3) October 12, 2015
Burrell is the Badgers' third straight four-star commitment, joining defensive tackle Garrett Rand and 2017 guard Kayden Lyles. He brings to the Badgers the skills of a great centerfielder: he can close to the ball effectively and is able to read quarterbacks to make big plays in pass defense while being a solid defender against the run.
For the most part, it seems as though Wisconsin is done recruiting the safety position for 2016, as Burrell joins Pickerington, Ohio, safety Seth Currens and Johnson at the position.
- 247Sports (composite): Four stars; 0.8919 rating; No. 323 overall; No. 17 safety; No. 12 Maryland
- 247Sports: Three stars; 88 rating; No. 395 overall; No. 22 safety; No. 14 Maryland
- Rivals: Four stars; 5.8 rating; No. 20 safety; No. 13 Maryland
- Scout: Three stars; No. 29 safety; No. 3 East safety; No. 1 Maryland safety
Wisconsin's recruiting rankings (2016):
- 247Sports: No. 20 overall (+11); No. 5 Big Ten (+1)
- Rivals: No. 15 Wisconsin; No. 5 Big Ten
- Scout*: No. 23 overall; No. 5 Big Ten
*Scout had yet to update its rankings to reflect Burrell's commitment at the time this post was published. We will update once it does so.