The NCAA early signing period for recruits opened up last Wednesday, and Wisconsin men's hockey coach Mike Eaves used the opportunity to ink three members of his 2013 class.
The signees include forwards Grant Besse (Plymouth, MN) from Benilde-St. Margaret's high school, Corbin McGuire (Ridgefield, CT) of the Jersey Hitmen of the EJHL, and defenseman Tim Davison (DePere, WI) of the Chicago Steel of the USHL.
Corbin McGuire: Jersey Hitmen (EJHL)
- Hometown: Ridgefield, Conn.
- Position: Forward
- Size: 5'9, 175
- Handed: Right
- Twitter handle: @CorbinMcGuire31
- 2011-12 Statistics: 48 GP, 9G, 15A, 24 PTS
- 2012-13 Statistics: 9 GP, 2G, 6A, 8 PTS
- McGuire On Why He Chose Wisconsin: "I always wanted to play for Wisconsin, ever since I was little and just started playing. Every kid growing up and wanting to play college hockey would be thankful to get to a chance to play for the Badgers, and when I was given the chance to commit, I took it. I was getting looked at by ECAC schools and Hockey East schools but never had the time to do any visits, and I knew Wisconsin is where I really wanted to be."
- Coach Eaves On McGuire: "Corbin McGuire is one of the few kids during our tenure here that we’ve gotten from out east. He went to prep school in Connecticut, was in the USHL and is now playing in the EJHL for Jersey Hitmen. He will remind people a lot of Derek Lee. He’s a good skater, skilled and quick."
- Additional Notes: McGuire's paternal grandparent's live in Wisconsin (Maple Bluff) and both of his parent's grew up in the state. Lived five years in Eden Prairie, MN before moving out East.
Grant Besse: Benilde-St. Margaret's High School
- Hometown: Plymouth, Minn.
- Position: Forward
- Size: 5'10, 175
- Handed: Left
- Twitter handle: @G_Besse12
- 2011-12 Statistics: 31GP, 52G, 41A, 93 PTS
- 2012-13 Statistics: Season hasn't started
- Besse On Why He Chose Wisconsin: "I felt a strong connection with the coaching staff as well as Wisconsin's rich tradition and history that includes six national championships. Also, I look forward to playing in the BIG 10 Conference."
- Coach Eaves On Besse: "Grant Besse is a little bit more high profile. He's a preseason favorite to win Mr. Hockey in the state of Minnesota. As a junior last year, he led the state in scoring and led his team to the state championship. He is very skilled, sees the ice well, can shoot, handles the puck and has great vision. He'll bring a lot of offensive tools to the shelf."
- Additional Notes: Besse set a Minnesota state championship game record last season when he scored all five of his teams goals (three short handed) to clinch the title vs Hill Murray. Besse was named to last seasons Associated Press All-State First Team.
Tim Davison: Chicago Steel (USHL)
- Hometown: DePere, Wisc.
- Position: Defense
- Size: 5'10, 169
- Handed: Left
- Twitter handle: @TDavison26
- 2011-12 Statistics (Notre Dame Academy): 30GP, 13G, 38A, 51PTS
- 2012-13 Statistics (Chicago Steel): 10GP, 2G, 1A, 3PTS
- Coach Eaves On Davison: "Tim Davison is a defenseman from De Pere, Wis., who played at Notre Dame Academy. He's playing this year in the USHL. He is a good puck-handling, passing and shooting defenseman who will bring an offensive flare."
- Additional Notes: Participated in three straight WIAA state tournaments with Notre Dame Academy, culminating with a state title last year during his senior season. Won a gold medal as a member of the United States Select 17 team in Switzerland in the summer of 2010.