The 2014 Olympics in Sochi will certainly have a Badger flavor, as four former Wisconsin men's hockey players have been named to the United States roster.
During a presentation New Year's Day after the Winter Classic in Ann Arbor, Mich., Ryan Suter of the Minnesota Wild, Joe Pavelski of the San Jose Sharks and Ryan McDonagh and Derek Stepan of the New York Rangers were officially named to Team USA.
It will be the second Olympic games for Pavelski and Suter, as they took home silver medals in Vancouver at the 2010 games. McDonagh and Stepan will be making their Olympic debuts.
Madison native Phil Kessel was also named to the U.S. roster Wednesday.
Earlier in the day, former Badgers women's players Meghan Duggan, Brianna Decker, Jessie Vetter and Hilary Knight were named to the U.S. women's Olympic roster. Meaghan Mikkelson will be the only former Badger on the Canadian side when the 2014 Olympics drop the puck in Sochi.
For more hockey coverage, follow Andy on Twitter -- Follow @AndyJohnsonB5Q
You can also reach Andy via e-mail (AndyJohnsonB5Q@gmail.com)
- 4 former Badgers named to U.S. women's Olympic hockey roster
- MHKY notebook: LaBate moves to center with Kerdiles in Sweden
- Badgers in the NFL: Week 17
- Nigel Hayes named Big Ten Freshman of the Week
- Remembering Wisconsin's 1993 Rose Bowl run: The season that launched a Badgers love affair
- Wisconsin women's hockey: Former Badgers steal spotlight vs. Canada in St. Paul