We look over Wisconsin's award winners from the season, as well as the other Big Ten players who received major accolades.
When Wisconsin coach Bo Ryan won his third Big Ten Coach of the Year Award, it was the headline -- at least for Wisconsin fans -- from Monday evening's release of the Big Ten season awards. What we have yet to touch on are the the other awards, including the All-Big Ten teams.
Here's a comprehensive list of all the Big Ten awards from Monday night.
As for the Badgers:
- Jared Berggren was named to the All-Big Ten second team by both media and coaches. He is the only Wisconsin player to make any of the three All-Big Ten teams.
- Berggren also earned a spot on the All-Big Ten defensive team.
- Sam Dekker made the All-Big Ten freshman team. Dekker was also an honorable mention for the All-Big Ten team voted by the media.
- Ben Brust was also tabbed an honorable mention for the All-Big Ten teams voted by coaches and media.
These Big Ten awards reflect the lack of starpower on the Badgers in contrast to teams like Indiana, Michigan and Michigan State, but the results speak for themselves. By the skin of his teeth, Ryan finished in the top four of the conference yet again and had the Badgers playing at a level nobody envisioned this season. Despite the lack of team awards, Ryan's Coach of the Year honor is indicative of the way Wisconsin plays and the results it achieves year after year.
The other major award winners in the conference:
- Player of the Year: Michigan guard Trey Burke (voted by both coaches and media)
- Defensive Player of the Year: Indiana guard Victor Oladipo (award only voted on by coaches)
- Freshman of the Year: Michigan State guard Gary Harris (voted by both coaches and media)
- Sixth Man of the Year: Indiana forward Will Sheehey (award only voted on by coaches)
The 2012-13 Big Ten basketball season proved to be dramatic from start to finish, and glancing over the Big Ten season awards only gets me more excited to see what these programs will accomplish in the Big Ten and NCAA tournaments this March.
The UW men's basketball team will take part in the 2013 Cancun Challenge in late November.
ESPN Wisconsin's Tom Lea has a Q&A with Wisconsin's new receivers coach Chris Beatty.
Also, Lea's piece on Bo Ryan winning coach of the year in the Big Ten.
Tom Oates on how UW football head coach Gary Andersen is connecting with his players.
Badgers quarterback Bart Houston feels his high school experiences will serve him well for fitting in Gary Andersen's new offense.