There are few Mondays as great as Opening Day, especially when the National Championship happens to be played on the same night. And the build up for Opening Day has never been greater with the extra week of Spring Training. So when your favorite team--In my case, the White Sox--postpones Opening Day about 20 hours before the first pitch, it makes you want to cry. And it's even worse when it's not even raining or snowing today.
Then there are the Brewers, who got the unlucky draw of starting their season on Tuesday in San Francisco. So I think the majority of the B5Q community is wishing their favorite team was playing today, except for the Cubs fans (and I know we have a lot of them) who get to see their team play today no matter what, because the Northsiders open their season in Houston tonight at 6 p.m. Of course, the Astros have a roof.
Anyway, while I was gearing up for baseball all weekend, there was a lot of Badgers news. So let's get right to it:
- Marcus Landry (No. 31 in the picture above, with Illinois' coach Bruce Weber) scored 14 points Friday in the college all-stars game in Detroit.
- The UW football team's game at Hawaii was officially scheduled for Sat., Dec. 5 and will be aired on either ESPN or ESPN2. There had been talk about the game being played on Fri., Dec. 4 depending on TV schedules. The kickoff time will be announced at a later date.
- Here's a cool video from UWBadgers.com. Last week defensive coordinator Dave Doeren wore a microphone during practice and was followed with a camera.
- Last week we took a look at the status of the high-profile UW head coaches. The same day, Andy Baggot (Wisconsin State Journal) had this take on whether or not UW women's head coach Lisa Stone should be replaced.
- Former UW soccer player Aaron Hohlbein scored his first MLS goal Sunday as his Kansas City Wizards beat San Jose 2-0. You can see the goal here.
Eight NFL teams sent scouts to watch DeAndre Levy's solo workout in Madison last week. Levy missed the NFL Combine, which is why he was hosting the workout. Jonathan Casillas was supposed to participate but could not because of a hamstring injury.